BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealing with huge issues regarding my headlamps and I'm wondering where the LCM is located? I have searched and can't find any tangible information. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
69 Posts
On a UK (RHD) car it's located in the front door lower A piller, behind the kick panel trim, slightly above where the bonnet release handle is.

You need to remove the lower dashboard trim (couple of small torx and a few posidrive screws, and unclip the gong!) which goes around the pedals. Remove the bonnet release arm (single screw) before unclipping the kick panel.

The bonnet release bracket can then be removed (2x torx screws) and tucked up out the way.

The LCM is behind the sound deadening, secured with a single screw at the bottom.

I trust a US car is a mirror image of the above?

Cheers
Ben

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
if you're sitting in the passenger seat it would be behind the panel directly to the right of your right foot. you need to pop off the sill molding and then you can pop off the side panel. it is a black rectangular module. whats wrong with your lights?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you're sitting in the passenger seat it would be behind the panel directly to the right of your right foot. you need to pop off the sill molding and then you can pop off the side panel. it is a black rectangular module. whats wrong with your lights?
Thanks Dave, I'll check it out, not sure it's gonna amount to anything. When I bought the M it had two blown low beams. I've gone through the ringer with DDM tuning in replaceing bulbs, ballasts, wiring, and D2S adapters. My stock ballasts got fried by some defective bulbs so I bough a DDM HID kit as I just lost my job and had to save money where I could. As it sits now the bulbs will ignite intermittently on start up. The majority of the time the drivers side works, but the passenger side hardly ever does. I was stuck in Harrisburg last night for 2 hours trying to get them both to light, finally got one on and had to padiddle home.

The set up is DDM Raptor 35w HID kit with 5000k bulbs, D2S wiring adapters, and DDM wiring harness to get power directly from the battery to ballast (upon recommendation that this would solve a previous flickering problem).

Feel like I'm getting taken for a loop by DDM, and I'm wondering if just selling out for stock ballasts and ripping out the DDM stuff would be best. But, unemployment only goes so far. :grrrr:

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
you email/call them?

I got RMA stuff from them pretty quickly.

also, you could just toss in a set of E39 halogens if you're on a budget.

the cheapo DDM kits have ignition problems pretty regularly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you email/call them?

I got RMA stuff from them pretty quickly.

also, you could just toss in a set of E39 halogens if you're on a budget.

the cheapo DDM kits have ignition problems pretty regularly.
Yeah I've emailed them half a dozen times, and their website seems to be adding to the horrid customer service reputation people so often talk about. I'll get a blank screen every time I log in, so I continually need to reopen tickets. Their advice has been mediocre at best, mostly just trying to get me to buy another component to make it work.

Looks like I'm going to scour the classifieds for a set or check eBay.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
when I had 55w ballasts replaced, I sent them a RMA request explaining my exact issues, and what I had done to isolate the issues:

- swap ballasts from side to side and see if the problem migrates.
- double check wiring associated with the relays (which you don't need if your OEM lights were Xenons).

I got a response, complete with RMA # + shipping label within 2 days.

That's not to say that their customer service is good by any means; in fact, I would say quite the opposite having read some of the horror stories. However, my particular experience was fine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when I had 55w ballasts replaced, I sent them a RMA request explaining my exact issues, and what I had done to isolate the issues:

- swap ballasts from side to side and see if the problem migrates.
- double check wiring associated with the relays (which you don't need if your OEM lights were Xenons).

I got a response, complete with RMA # + shipping label within 2 days.

That's not to say that their customer service is good by any means; in fact, I would say quite the opposite having read some of the horror stories. However, my particular experience was fine.
Yeah to be fair to them, I have purchased from them many times before having these issues with the M and their shipping and products were great. However my opinion of them since has drastically changed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts