BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched the web, and reviewed prior posts...

I replaced my main fuel pump last month (anyone want a dead one to rebuild with a new pump motor?).

I wasn't paying sufficient attention and failed to recognize where the siphon pump is secured. I see reference to attaching it to the main pump, but I'm unsure where. Thus I run out of gas with a 1/4 tank left, and fuel in the LH tank, but none in the RH. Without the hidden menu #6 I would have been stranded...

Anyone have words of wisdom/and or a picture.

Also, I've broken one of the clips that you press in to release the fuel line from the fuel tank cap. So, while I could probably play with the connector and get it to release, I'd like to have a replacement on hand when I do it.

Anyone know the part # for the fuel connector? Couldn't find it in the realoem part pictures.

Thanks,
Larry

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The siphon pump in the LH tank doesn't connect to the electric fuel pump directly. So there is no requirement to make any connection when replacing the electric pump.

But there is something wrong with your siphon pump or connections. Did this problem show up after you replaced the electric pump?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, after I removed the electric pump I noticed a 1/2" diameter solid line with a white plastic piece that held it in place. I assume that's the line that goes over to the left hand side of the tank. I clipped it to the plastic tub that the pump sits in, but I'm running dry at 1/4 tank, and when using code #6, I notice that the left hand tank isn't draining like it's supposed to.

Looking at the videos I believe the siphon hose clips to the electric pump but can't be sure...

·
Registered
327 Posts
The siphon pump line from the left side goes over to the right side and when you seat the main pump into the tub at the bottom of the tank, you should make the siphon connection. I had my right side pump worked on and they didn't completely seat the main pump so I had the 1/4 tank left at empty problem. They opened up the right side, seated the main pump, and all was well.

I didn't actually see how the siphon tube connects to the main pump tub, so I can't help you with a first hand account, though.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The siphon pump line from the left side goes over to the right side and when you seat the main pump into the tub at the bottom of the tank, you should make the siphon connection. I had my right side pump worked on and they didn't completely seat the main pump so I had the 1/4 tank left at empty problem. They opened up the right side, seated the main pump, and all was well.

I didn't actually see how the siphon tube connects to the main pump tub, so I can't help you with a first hand account, though.
That's interesting. I certainly didn't have to make any siphon pump connection when I replaced my electric pump, and I haven't seen this step in any of the DIY's. I suspect they dislodged a connection when they were in there.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
The siphon pump outlet does not connect to the part of the fuel bump basket that is removed from the car when changing the fuel pump.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree with rao. The siphon pump should connect to the part that is at the bottom of the tank. But if you don't get the main pump firmly seated in that holder, the siphon pump connection won't be made and the siphon pump won't properly transfer fuel to the right side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts