BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not worried, just curious, as my oil analysis looks GREAT other than some slightly elevated copper. But as this clearly isn't coming from the bearings (really low lead and tin), what in the heck else is in these engines that contains some copper that shows up in oil?

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
The first oil report I got for my M3 had elevated copper levels as well, but no lead or tin. Blackstone said it could be a "brass or bronze part, such as a bushing". I don't know specifically what part of the engine that would be. I chickened out and replaced the bearings anyways. The old ones were perfectly fine. I would suggest a shorter oil change interval this time and doing another analysis to see if the copper sticks around.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
There are no copper parts in S62 aside from bearings shells.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no copper parts in S62 aside from bearings shells.
Hmm, well if you're confident about that, then maybe this is slightly concerning after all. . . Though I think the plan to just monitor for another 2-3 oil changes is still the best course of action for now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
old school V8's also have camshaft bearings. not sure about newer, over head cam cars. but that would be another source. those are the only bearings in an engine that I can think of.

·
Registered
149 Posts
How many miles does your car have? I mean if it's really that concerning, then I'd say replace them for peace of mind.

Sent from Germany with Love.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only 100k, and without the copper being all that high and everything else looking really really good, I don't want to dive into this unnecessarily without more evidence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts