BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen a thread on this so I thought I'd start one.

Work:
I paid extra in my office building to get a spot in the underground garage that has a huge concrete pillar on one side and a Merc on the other with about 5 ft of room between my car and his if I pull close to the pillar. I back in to the space.

Home:
Middle space of a three car garage, 3ft of space between cars. I cleaned everything from the two sides so that the other two cars are parked near the wall. Clean the garage every week.

Other:
Always at the end of the parking lot away from eveyone else.

Valet:
NEVER. In fact when checking into a very expensive hotel in Laguna Beach last weekend I got in a big discussion with the manger about self parking. They simply would not let me. They told me i could park it on the street with meters. I told them it was a deal breaker and hadn't signed into the room yet. They asked me to sign a waiver saying they weren't responsible if anything happened to the beast. I refused asking what the difference was who parked it. Told them to show me where to park and I would hand over the keys. Reluctantly they did, I parked it and set the security code knowing they could never even start it. When we checked out I retrieved the keys and drove away with the peace of mind no one messed with it. (You know clutch, over-revving when cold etc.)

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
I always use the "Siberia" method so appropriately named by none other than Blue max.

This is how my car usually looks when viewed from where the other cars are.

Yup, blurry, just the way I like it. :hihi:

Seriously though,

Home: My car is the only car parked in a WIDE garage. I need to get around to cleaning it one of these days.

Work: I use my daily driver, the Tundra, instead. Even then I still go to extra lengths in finding a parking spot! :rolleyes:

Other: I usually use the "Siberia" method or park between my friends who know how to handle the car doors.

Valet: I never let any of the valet attendants come close to my car. So far I haven't found myself in a situation like Johnny where it was absolutely necessary to take the extra steps that he did.

:cheers:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
atomic80 said:
I always use the "Siberia" method so appropriately named by none other than Blue max.

:cheers:
Also know around here as "BFE Bum F*$%& Egypt

·
Registered
228 Posts
I always park out in #$^&@ Egypt as suggested here, expecially at the grocery stores. I always park out past the last shopping cart return. One thing I never do is take up two spaces, that just pushes some buttons with the jealous types.

At home I park in a garage 5 feet away from other cars, the drivers door is up againt the wall but I got one of those cushions from Griots Garage so there is no chance of ever chipping the paint.

Valets can kiss my ***. Ain't no way they are getting their hands on the beast. I like the idea of setting the code so it cannot be moved. I'll make a note of that.

My trick with the M3 was to show them the AC Schnitzer short shift kit (which has no shift pattern on the shifter) and ask them if they had anyone that had driven one with the "special" european shift pattern and tighter gates. They would usually point me to a spot at that point.

Its good to know I'm not alone :thumbsup:

Best wishes.

Craig. :byebye:

·
Registered
159 Posts
i just throw the valet a 50 park it up front and say i have to keep the keyskinggf

·
Registered
703 Posts
Office - no reserved parking (b*mmer) but since I get in before the b*tt crack of dawn, I have my pick. there's an end spot, not far from the doors which is extra wide; I back in and leave about 3" on the right against the wall and about 5' on the left.
Home - my wife drives an SLK (nice little car; I back in, park tight on the right and have about 3' between the cars; no worries
Other - I'm in the BFE contingent even when it means dropping the passeners off at the door and trekking back in the rain (yes, my beast does get rained on!)
Valet - I use 'em; I write the mileage on a little PostIt and leave it front & center - just above the odometer (I picked this tip up on this board, don't remember who wrote but many thanks to whoever did

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hey Craig

First, welcome aboard Craig - I'm sure everyone will appreciate your contributions

Second, WOW! I never thought I'd see the day when you listed the E36 as your secondary car! Hope you love your M5

Ray

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Home Best thing I did was take my contractor's advice to build a bigger garage than I thought I needed and spend a little extra money to eliminate all support posts. There's enough 8" I beams in there to qualify it as a bomb shelter - and no chance of door dings

Work Same bomb shelter as above

Valet No way.

Other I'll pretty much take my car anywhere anytime but if I'll be in the area of carts I will often NOT park in BFE but rather UBFE (Upper BFE), i.e I'll sometimes park closer in if it means I can park on the highest spot in the parking lot - I never try to test my luck with gravity. Only other time I pass on BFE is if it isn't well illuminated at night

·
Registered
556 Posts
I park it pretty much anywhere while using reasonable levels of caution. The Z8's pointed nose and low rear bumper require a bit more attention than most vehicles.

Avoid valet; take cab (guy I know just had a new chrome Arnage wheel ruined as the valet backed it up 5 feet to park the car right in front of the restaurant). Don't parallel park unless in first or last huge spot in the row. Never take up 2 spots anywhere -- asks for trouble and is just simply obnoxious, regardless. In regular side-by-side lot, take a regular space, not 30 feet away from everyone, and just avoid cars with big swinging doors, trucks, minivans, etc. and leave plenty of space for the car opposite the nose, too.

- A-Train

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: Hey Craig

rvacha said:
First, welcome aboard Craig - I'm sure everyone will appreciate your contributions
Thanks. Good group of guys here. I've learned a lot more from them than they have from me so far, but I'll work to keep the ratio as even as I can.

Second, WOW! I never thought I'd see the day when you listed the E36 as your secondary car! Hope you love your M5

Ray
Funny you should mention that, been wanting the M5 since first day I saw one over 4 years ago, but could not bear to part with the E36 M3. So I waited until I could afford both.

Its really cool having an extra car. The M3 can now get some TLC that I never had time for as I could not afford the down time. She's up on the lift right now getting a fresh treatment of ATE Super Blue and I'm probably going to pop off the pads while she is up and put on a fresh treatment of Wurth Anti-Squeal (Craig's version of the perfect day off).

Yes, I'm sick, but I think I've found the right virtual asylum :cheers:

Best wishes.

Craig.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I almost forgot my other favorite trick: Park crooked within the lines of the spot at the end of the row. For example, if the nearest car is to the left (driver's side), put the nose of the car at the left corner of the spot and the rear of the car at the right corner.

So when blue-haired, could care less about your door, white POS Cadillac owner opens their door, you've given yourself another 6 or 8 inches of buffer.

Best wishes.

Craig. :byebye:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
HOME: I have 2 car attached garage, and 2.5 car detached garage, I park the M5 in the detached garage (less foot traffic).

WORK: My daily driver is a Lexus SC300 (5 speed), but we have secured underground parking with assigned (wide) spaces. When I drive the M5, it's usually Thursday or Driday when the lady next to me has her days off.

OUTSIDE: Here in the Bay Area, there is no Siberria method (unless I actually park in Siberria.grrrrrrr grrrrrrr ), so little choice. Luckily , we have 3 other cars, so I rarely take the M5 out where I need to park. Lucky me.

Valet: I do valet park, if not, my wife thinks I'm too much. Though I seldom take the M5 to valet situation stations.

We spoil our cars more than our kids. hmmm hmmm

CP

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
HOME: Currently have a 5 car garage. My wife and I park next to each other and are very careful. But in May we move into our new house/garage. 10 car garage, 15 ft wide stalls. No parking problems there.

WORK: I have private covered parking.

OUTSIDE: Far from everyone, uphill if possible. I do take two parking spots because I can come out and someone has parked a clunker next to me. I guess my car is a magnet. I always be sure that there are a lot of spots available and find the lazy people ususally park close to store.

VALET: I pull up and ask them where I can park the car that they can watch it. I am always accomodated.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Sy Bart,

Where do you find 'uphills' parking spots in Vegas? hmmm hmmm

The closest that comes to mind is in Grand Canyon.

CP

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
chunpng said:
Sy Bart,

Where do you find 'uphills' parking spots in Vegas? hmmm hmmm

The closest that comes to mind is in Grand Canyon.

CP
That's funny! hiha

Actually, it has been known to rain here, and all parking lots are sloped.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Oh I get it. 1% or 2% slope in the pavement. :hihi: :hihi:

For a while, I thought my memory was completely gone. The Vegas I thought I visited was flat as a pancake.

CP

·
Registered
897 Posts
Work:
Parking garage. I always park on the very right end of a row in the far right side of the spot. That way only one car can park next to mine and usually over 4 feet away (and only to the left of my car). Most drivers that park in this garage fly solo so there is less risk parking next to the passenger side door of another car.

Home:
Middle space of a three-car garage.

Other:
Always at the end of the parking lot as far away from everyone else as possible (within reason).

Valet:
Avoid it like the plague. Only exception is at the BMW dealer. I must admit that I am usually very apprehensive handing over my keys even to the dealer. I usually watch them as closely as possible. I check the car closely after leaving it with the dealer.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hmmmm.

HOME: Left-hand space of a two-car garage. This is not optimal, because it forces me to be ultra-cautious when opening the door of the other car, and one day I may slip; but there are cluttered shelves and hanging bicycles on the right-hand side. One of these days I'll rearrange it.

WORK: Siberia method. I'm a contractor; I don't get reserved parking. And unlike some others here, I'm a night owl, so I am far from the first to arrive in the morning (though I'm frequently the last to leave at night). So I park way out in the asphalt desert.

OTHER: Siberia method.

VALET: It's only come up once. I don't do a lot of fancy dining or theatregoing, and if I'm checking into a hotel I'm usually driving a rental car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Steve Morling said:
Office - no reserved parking (b*mmer) but since I get in before the b*tt crack of dawn, I have my pick. there's an end spot, not far from the doors which is extra wide; I back in and leave about 3" on the right against the wall and about 5' on the left.
Home - my wife drives an SLK (nice little car; I back in, park tight on the right and have about 3' between the cars; no worries
Other - I'm in the BFE contingent even when it means dropping the passeners off at the door and trekking back in the rain (yes, my beast does get rained on!)
Valet - I use 'em; I write the mileage on a little PostIt and leave it front & center - just above the odometer (I picked this tip up on this board, don't remember who wrote but many thanks to whoever did
The PostIt idea was mine.:biggrin:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Johnny,

I'm almost a mirror vision of your initial post save the dedicated parking slot at work. I park my M5 way out in a satellite parking lot that was recently built here at MCI WorldCom. Do the same thing every day - park one space away from a buddy who drives a sweet M3. We watch each other's back.

Oh, something additional that I do at grocery stores is to park way the hell out in the back forty but NEVER near those cart collection spaces. Never know when some idiot will get a little lazy and then bang!

Valet experience I learned the hard way! The numbskulls broke a tailight and ever so slightly scratched my paint on the trunk. :mad: No mas to that crap EVER again. Didn't notice it until I washed the car that weekend. Too late to bust them.

Craig - welcome and great comments from your camp!

Regards,

DWP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts