BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
And as a driver, I am not wasting my time researching oil standards to see if I can save $4 per year by using an oil other than the one recommended -- what one gallon of gas costs. Whether there are other oils that can be used is not the point. The point is that I can use the one I KNOW will work well for, at most, a negligible premium over an alternative whose suitability I would have to research. Who cares if BMW and Castrol have a marketing agreement? All I care is that the recommended oil do its job.

The last time I checked with my dealer, the cost was ridiculous -- something well over $20 per quart. So I buy it from Bimmerworld, where I shop for all my race parts.
[/font][/color]
Never said you had to do anything and never implied that you had to use what I or anyone on this board says, but when you imply that using another oil is just about being cheap I and others will take offence. You choosing to stay with Castrol as the only oil you will use is fine and I nor did anyone say not to; where you buy your oil is your choice as well! The original question was where do you buy your oil someone already list http://www.bavauto.com/ so I did not list a second time. I did see your misleading comment and chose to respond. In doing so you then retorted with the same accusation that we are just being cheap. No I chose to lead my life with facts and data not what sales and marketing tell me and if you chose to be ignorant of technical information that is our choice as well. So continue to shout that "YOU KNOW" better.
:cheers:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just stop by my dealer when I need oil and he puts a quart in for free. He also makes sure I have a quart in my trunk for emergencies

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Never said you had to do anything and never implied that you had to use what I or anyone on this board says, but when you imply that using another oil is just about being cheap I and others will take offence. You choosing to stay with Castrol as the only oil you will use is fine and I nor did anyone say not to; where you buy your oil is your choice as well! The original question was where do you buy your oil someone already list http://www.bavauto.com/ so I did not list a second time. I did see your misleading comment and chose to respond. In doing so you then retorted with the same accusation that we are just being cheap. No I chose to lead my life with facts and data not what sales and marketing tell me and if you chose to be ignorant of technical information that is our choice as well. So continue to shout that "YOU KNOW" better.
:cheers:
It appears that some work on reading comprehension is in order. What I said -- I thought rather clearly -- is that it is not worthwhile to me to spend my time researching oil data to determine if an oil other than the recommended one is suitable. If that's how you choose to spend your time, knock yourself out. You are not claiming that the Castrol I choose to use is not suitable for this car, and I am not spending any appreciable amount more on it than your alternative, so my being a slave to sales and marketing is resulting in just me using the oil that the manufacturer recommends with no downside. Have a nice day with your facts and data, though.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts