BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 M5 and I bought 1 bottle of oil from the BMW dealer. Was wondering, is there anywhere online you guys buy your motor oil? Found one place for $13.50 a quart which I thought was very fair but once you add tax and "shipping" I was looking at $24 a quart (which is more expensive than the dealer). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! I did see the Liqui Moly motor oil for $40 bucks for a 5 liter bottle which is AMAZING; however, my question is, is this oil safe? Thanks

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
The manufacturer of your $90,000+ car tells you to use a specific oil in its $30,000 engine. Now, are you going to follow that recommendation or save a few dollars on a different type? Get it from Bimmerworld -- Search Results -- BimmerWorld Online Store.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My dealer in Montreal charges me 15$ per liter for the TWS 10W-60. Cheaper than buying it online once you add shipping to it. If you're buying it online, buy in bulk, you'll need them anyway.

Heard good things about the liqui molly but I wouldn't use it myself out of personal preference.

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The manufacturer of your $90,000+ car tells you to use a specific oil in its $30,000 engine. Now, are you going to follow that recommendation or save a few dollars on a different type? Get it from Bimmerworld -- Search Results -- BimmerWorld Online Store.

They are telling you that because they signed a big agreement with Castrol. :rolleyes:

Can't believe someone will believe that we should only be using one specific brand and motor oil in our car and all the other brands out there will damage our engine or is not up to par.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm using lubri moly in my m5 and the engine is quieter with it compared to the Castro. At first I thought it was in my head but I put it into an e39 m5 and another e60 m5 and they were also quieter and ran smoother.
I never believe the kind of post I just made but here I am writing it lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased a 12 liter case of the Castrol 10W-60 oil from my BMW dealer and using my BMW Visa card, which gives me a 10% discount, it was about $11.95 ea. So i will always go back there as I can't find cheaper online with shipping included.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
there has been several discussion on here in regards to Castrol vs Lubro Moly. The general opinion is that Lubro Moly is a good product and will not affact anything.

BMW pushes the Castrol product to benefit them and Castrol. Is Castrol a good and recommended product for BMW? Sure it is. But you will notice in the manual that BMW says "recommends xxx". Common sense dictates that there is some marketing going on.

I too, only put Castol in as well and follow the manufactures guidelines. But there are other suitable alternatives out there.

Here are threads on the subject:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/169874-lubro-liqui-moly-better-than-castrol.htmll

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/2430-lubro-moly-liqui-moly-oil.html

To answer the OP's question, I buy my oil from either the dealer or getbmwparts.com

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Call me a wimp but I am going to put in the recomended Castrol Motor Oil. The fact that this is a $100k plus beast and I am nickling and diming over oil is a bit silly when its put into that context. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

As an engineer I love these comments! You think BMW stamps "Castrol" in the oil cap for free? There are oil standards for a reason; use them as they are your friend.
<FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana>
For the record I use both as the Castrol spare liter fits in the BMW oil bag the Liqui-Moly does not! If there is an oil change deal at local dealer or indy it'll get Castrol. If I do it myself its Liqui-Mol, I change every 5,000 though so not about being cheep; it’s what is conveniently available with the right rating and the Liqui-Moly meets that and comes in a 5-liter bottle and since this takes almost 10 liters of oil it's convenient during the change. I will second others comments as well that the motor sounds smother with the Liqui-Moly, burn rate has seemed to be the same!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cheers:

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
As an engineer I love these comments! You think BMW stamps "Castrol" in the oil cap for free? There are oil standards for a reason; use them as they are your friend.

And as a driver, I am not wasting my time researching oil standards to see if I can save $4 per year by using an oil other than the one recommended -- what one gallon of gas costs. Whether there are other oils that can be used is not the point. The point is that I can use the one I KNOW will work well for, at most, a negligible premium over an alternative whose suitability I would have to research. Who cares if BMW and Castrol have a marketing agreement? All I care is that the recommended oil do its job.

The last time I checked with my dealer, the cost was ridiculous -- something well over $20 per quart. So I buy it from Bimmerworld, where I shop for all my race parts.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
And as a driver, I am not wasting my time researching oil standards to see if I can save $4 per year by using an oil other than the one recommended -- what one gallon of gas costs. Whether there are other oils that can be used is not the point. The point is that I can use the one I KNOW will work well for, at most, a negligible premium over an alternative whose suitability I would have to research. Who cares if BMW and Castrol have a marketing agreement? All I care is that the recommended oil do its job.

The last time I checked with my dealer, the cost was ridiculous -- something well over $20 per quart. So I buy it from Bimmerworld, where I shop for all my race parts.
[/font][/color]

Are you stubborn or do you not get the point?:confused2

Do you not read that its not about the money we save? Its about what we think is a better oil, I have used both and I feel that when I use Lubro Moly the engine idles smoother and quieter. BMW telling you to use Castrol is all a marketing thing and they most likely get a screaming deal from Castrol for doing so.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Are you stubborn or do you not get the point?:confused2

Do you not read that its not about the money we save? Its about what we think is a better oil, I have used both and I feel that when I use Lubro Moly the engine idles smoother and quieter. BMW telling you to use Castrol is all a marketing thing and they most likely get a screaming deal from Castrol for doing so.
No, you don't get the point. On the one hand I have the manufacturer telling me which oil to use. Sure there may be a deal there but I am confident BMW is not telling me to use an oil that will be harmful. On the other I have anecdotal accounts from individuals who say a different oil makes the "engine idle smoother and quieter". Is the latter necessarily a good thing? These engines are intricate and complicated and I don't like the idea of using any oil that will alter what the engine sounds like from how BMW intended. Smoother and quieter may be a good thing, but then again it may be a sign that something is not working as intended. The point is that I don't know and you don't either, so the obvious choice for me is to use the recommended oil. If you're happy with what you are using, great. I doubt you are doing any damage (as long as you are using the correct weight), but I don't see a reason to take the chance.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
No, you don't get the point. On the one hand I have the manufacturer telling me which oil to use. Sure there may be a deal there but I am confident BMW is not telling me to use an oil that will be harmful. On the other I have anecdotal accounts from individuals who say a different oil makes the "engine idle smoother and quieter". Is the latter necessarily a good thing? These engines are intricate and complicated and I don't like the idea of using any oil that will alter what the engine sounds like from how BMW intended. Smoother and quieter may be a good thing, but then again it may be a sign that something is not working as intended. The point is that I don't know and you don't either, so the obvious choice for me is to use the recommended oil. If you're happy with what you are using, great. I doubt you are doing any damage (as long as you are using the correct weight), but I don't see a reason to take the chance.
:thumbsup:good for u bro:thumbsup:

We should all use Castrol since BMW "recommands" us to use it. They didnt say that the engine was going to blow up or be damaged because we are not going to use Castrol did they?

AMG recommands Mobil 1, but how many of their owners use Mobil 1?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I just look at it this way, it's your car you can do whatever you want to it. I get a great discount at my dealer on oil at employee cost I just use it not only because it's a good deal but it gives me a piece of mind. I don't really feel the need to experiment with another brand or type of oil I'm happy with the factory TWS 10W-60. I recommend you guys to get a lab test done on your oil after you change it. Just collect a sample and send it to blackstone labs. I've done it with my pervious cars and it tells you where your motor stands on wear rates and lubrication needs. Then you can justify changing to a different brand or weight of oil etc.

·
4,308 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts