BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
sorry for another oil thread, but i was searching for this and no latest info was found.

A question for all European and scandinavian guy`s - where`s the cheapest place to get TWS 10W-60 for our beasts? In LV i can get it for ~ 15 euros/l. Not cheap!! Maybe some can help??

Thanks in advance!!

Karl

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Not sure if Opie Oils can post abroad, but they have some keen pricing in the UK and good service...

Edit - £22.46 delivery (to Latvia specifically), meaning...£32.99 exc VAT, £39.58 inc VAT, for 4 litres. £55.45 (45.06 latvian lats) if you don't need to pay VAT, or £62.04 (50.41 latvian lats) if you do, delivered.

Lol, no idea how this might compare, and this is for Edge 10W60, the same stuff with a different label.

Can you tell I'm bored at work?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy`s! Feeblebob - that is a quite a research you did :D i appreciate it!! But the final $ is approximately the same as here.

Nerio - seems like a deal on German ebay, THANKS! Never used ebay though... need to learn it. I assume it is safe to buy oil there, right? realy want a peace in my mind i`m getting original stuff.

Thanks,

Karl

·
Registered
510 Posts
TWS (15-18€/L) is more expensive than Edge (10-13€/L), but they are the same. I order my oil from Opie Oil, because they have Castrol Edge in 4L bottle (and m5board.com members have a discount :D ). Or else, I buy 1L for 10,5€ in France

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
No problem, Neighbour, it turned into a little project! I now know the currency of Latvia too :)

Reactions: Neighbour

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Nerio - seems like a deal on German ebay, THANKS! Never used ebay though... need to learn it. I assume it is safe to buy oil there, right? realy want a peace in my mind i`m getting original stuff.

Thanks,

Karl
yes its safe too buy on ebay,iff you just look at the sales rating off the vendors + how many % his sales average is

iff its a company name and no private seller and it has tons off bussines and good reviews your good to order.
iff it has bad reviews and bad % average, just stay away from it..

i'm getting my oil 6years now from the same seller/on ebay..never had a problem..2 days after payment its here on my doorstep, nicely boxed up for 12-15 euro's delivered..

also look how to pay before ordering, some want credit card, paypal or just a simple bankwire ..(or possibility off all choices combined)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Be aware of sales ratings, always look for the comments :D I just got scammed on Ebay by a powerseller (+20000) AND a company (in February). They got ~90000€ before Ebay decided to close their account.

Hopefully, Paypal gave my money back (love Paypal lovelove, use it guys !!!), but if I had looked at the comments before buying, I wouldn't have bought anything from the company.

So stick with companies recommended by the board ;)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
iff the one you bought from had bad comments his sales % would be down
always buy at 100% sellers..thats what i do and never had problems..then again i buy my oil from the same seller for 6 years now.

but good advice though.. always be on your guard!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Never thought I'd say this on here but I think I've fairly comprehensively answered the Opie Oils situation for the OP!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to work for Castrol so hope this helps clarify ;-)

The TWS Motorsport and the RS 10W-60 are not the same product.

TWS is tested and approved by BMW to meet the specific requirements for the M series engines - it has a different formulation ( which includes additional synthetic esters ) to the Formula RS 10W-60 to meet the specific BMW requirements and the only spec the TWS meets is BMW.

The EDGE 10W-60 is the retail alternative for the TWS Motorsport, which is a workshop only product supplied to BMW dealers - the EDGE Sport 10W-60 is the alternative to the Formula RS 10W-60 and these do not meet the BMW specifications.

So for the M series asking for the 10W-60 grade, I would recommend either the TWS Motorsport from BMW outlets or the EDGE 10W-60 ( which also only carries the BMW approval ) from retail outlets

Hope that helps

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Castrol Technical Support

1 - 15 of 15 Posts