Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookin' on:

1. Ebay
2. Autotrader.com
3. Cars.com

(not in any specific order)

Are there any other places that you guys might recommend? What are these "auto brokers" that I keep hearing about. One of em' said they'd bid on one at auction for me, but I'm a little concerned considering I won't be able to look at the thing before I pull the trigger. HELP!!! :3:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm lookin' on:

1. Ebay
2. Autotrader.com
3. Cars.com

(not in any specific order)

Are there any other places that you guys might recommend? What are these "auto brokers" that I keep hearing about. One of em' said they'd bid on one at auction for me, but I'm a little concerned considering I won't be able to look at the thing before I pull the trigger. HELP!!! :3:
Buy a car from an original owner with all the service records. Check out the carfax then do a pre purchase inspection at a reputable dealer. Inspect the car yourself, then buy it.

There are many cars available and there is no reason to skip any of these steps. Some of these cars are in excellent condition and if you are patient you will find one, prob right her on this board.

RG

·
Registered
446 Posts
I got lucky on Autotrader.

I'd just keep checking it and finding the "newly listed" cars. Then make a reasonable offer and set up some kind of goodwill refundable down payment.

I found that if I wasn't willing to put any money down ($100-1000) then the car would be gone within a few days.

Otherwise, newspaper, maybe bmwcca.....

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Are there any other places that you guys might recommend?
When I bought my car, I found potential candidates on this board, cars.com, autotrader.com, bmwusa (for CPO cars) and eventually I found my car in the Roundel (BMW CCA) classifieds. I'd suggest that you stay away from eBay cars, as a general rule (although natch there are always exceptions). The best place for private party sales are this board and Roundel; the best place for dealer cars is cars.com. Don't forget your local paper as well.

However...

email me in a few weeks. A friend of mine in your neck of the woods is getting ready to sell his car, a 2000 with only 50K miles, one owner, all maintenance, new tires, etc. and it will be priced fairly.

Michael

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm pulling my hair out because I want "THE ONE" and it's either too far away, or priced a little high, or this and that. I was thinking that I should just start buying mods while I'm waiting :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I called my local BMW mechanic (the guys there are great) and asked for a recommendation on a car. They try to keep a running list of owners that are selling which didn't work for me. But they also gave me a recommendation on a broker.

I didn't buy from him (a broker that listed his car on cars.com worked for me this time) but he did his job and knew his stuff.

My previous car was from a broker I found online after an intense search. I bought 3 cars that month (my wife's SUV and I negotiated the deal on my brother's Chevy pickup) and the broker was the easiest, simplest, most positive deal I have ever done.

Buying BMWs from brokers has been a great experience for me. Much more easy going (no pressure sales guys) and their flexibility on price is great. They've shown me what they bought the cars for at auction and i don't mind giving them some profit - within reason. Plus the handling fees are lower, to start. Not that I'd pay those...

I'd call your mechanic and ask around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm pulling my hair out because I want "THE ONE" and it's either too far away, or priced a little high, or this and that. I was thinking that I should just start buying mods while I'm waiting :)
I felt the same and bought a "non ideal" car - it didn't have the options I wanted. So I started shopping around and realized the total cost for the options I really want could be added later, and I'm not paying for options that I don't care about. So I'm still ahead with my 2000 and ecstatic.

·
Registered
160 Posts
ebay is fine to become aware of a car, but i dont buy through there. Take the deal private after doing what others here have recommended and get to know the owner and the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got one for sale.

I have a 2000 M-5 with about 55k miles on it. Pristine condition. Bought from a friend of mine a little over a year ago for my wife as a Christmas present. She loves it, but it is not feasable for her to drive everyday. Located in metro Atlanta area. Red Exterior. Red/Black interior. Awesome car, e-mail me at [email protected] if interested.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I looked at Ebay, Autotrader, Roadfly, on these boards, and at dealers.

I ended up buying the car from an Autotrader ad...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts