BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 100k+ miles, the front end is in need of a face lift. I've read many horror stories of poor aftermarket bumper fitment, etc. What is a good source to get OEM front bumper at a good price? :wroom:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah ditto here. My 02 bumper look ok from 20 feet away, but up close it's peppered with rock chips and a small crack. Best price I overall I've seen is pretty much my local dealer due to the shipping costs on such a bulky item. Dealer in DFW area has it for just over $500 last time I checked. Online I've seen it just over $400 plus shipping which will put it about the same price as my dealer. Hopefully if I get from the dealer I can get them to give me a break on the paint job because I got the bumper from them so it would probably even out. And won't have to worry about any hassles with the bumper getting damaged in shipping.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
Is your bumper cover so bad that a body shop can't sand it down and repaint? If so I do have a bumper cover from my car that needs repair. Pm me if you need it.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Clemster is your best bet, but I have pre-emptive dibs on his next good front bumper. Been waiting for a while now....... :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Is your bumper cover so bad that a body shop can't sand it down and repaint? If so I do have a bumper cover from my car that needs repair. Pm me if you need it.
Some of the better body shops will charge so much labor time to sand out all those little rock dimples to do a perfect job that you might as well buy a new one as the overall cost will work out about the same. Then at the end of the day you still have a bumper that is over a decade old and BMW plastic gets brittle over time. At least if you buy a new one you'll have a good foundation for a good paint job, (cheaper prep time) and it won't get brittle and crack for a few years at the slightest bump. Plus you can sell the old bumper for a few bucks to get some of your money back to someone willing to go the slightly cheaper route with a 528i or 540i LOL.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Bimmerrule -

I used VAC motorsports and had them price match Bimmerzone for the bumper itself @ $475 if i remember correctly. They also did new, painted under-headlight clips and a few other associated parts (I had a cracked "pork chop" in front of my driver's side wheel, some missing fasteners, etc.)

Painted and installed came out to around $900 IIRC but that included a few other things as well.

The bumper itself and the paint job I would rate as very good to excellent. A few very minor flaws requiring a under 2 foot inspection in bright light. Almost no orange peel. Very good paint match to both the fenders and hood, which is difficult since the hood was re-painted at some point in the past.

My biggest and ultimately minor gripe is, ironically, fitment. Side to side is perfect - same end points at the fender. However, the gap between fender and bumper is EVEN but maybe 5-10mm more than it should be...

That being said, you know my backstory and I'm obviously incredibly critical at this phase. My understanding is that some OEM bumpers came with a bit greater gap from the factory. They vary in terms of tightness to body panels, and it also varies based upon things like condition of the attachment points.

If you want to evaluate the VAC route, let me know. I'll share a few more details via PM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts