BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a long term lurker and looking at purchasing another E60 M5. I've read a lot of conflicting information over the years on stroker motors, either people that have had issues with Dinan (Or not had issues). People that had had issues with Troy (Or not had issues), etc. etc.

I want to build a stroker S85 but I want to retain the Alusil that is in the original engine block. I do not want a sleeved motor. Are there any shops that you can recommend or stories of reliability that you can provide? Thank you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's like the old saying in car circles.... you can only pick two out of 'cheap, fast, reliable'

There are people that have been running them for tens of thousands of miles, but just keep in mind that if you want it to be reliable, it wont be cheap. Personally I'd buy a bare shortblock from bmw and build it from there on, but the overall cost of the project will run into tens of thousands of dollars (isn't the stroker kit itself nearly 10k?)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lang Racing in Orange County California has a good reputation for BMW //M Engine builds, including S85.

BMW S85 Stroker Kit for M5 and M6 – Lang Racing

They offer a range of options, one of which is retaining the Alusil if you so wish. The cost for their stroker kit has gone up recently though, blame inflation.

Edit: Troy claims to have done over 500+ stroker builds at this point, but people either love or hate the guy and almost everyone seems to have serious challenges reaching him + a long waitlist. Not something I would want to roll the dice on, go with an actual established business that prioritizes customer experience IMO.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My stroker is 5.8L, billet crank, Carrillo H beam rods, Mahle custom pistons, block was bored by the team at CarBahn Steve Dinan’s new shop using correct techniques to maintain the Alusil microstructure, heads were ported and polished and refurbished, performance valve springs, new correct rod and main bearings, Vanos refurbished, new throttle actuators, all other seals, hoses, etc., replaced if needed, balanced rotating mass, basically a complete rebuild, equal length headers with 200 cell race cats, sport exhaust, custom tune to max power and torque, Evolve Eventuri intake, needles to say it’s really fun to drive, also a 3.91 2 clutch pack differential by DiffsOnline, SMG with Euro tune, Bilstein B6 shocks, H&R springs, BBK kit by Stoptech, RD Sport F & R sway bars, still looking to do minor tweaks and probably go to the Bilstein B16 set up at some time, installing a RPi front oil cooler once it arrives…

·
Registered
139 Posts
My stroker is 5.8L, billet crank, Carrillo H beam rods, Mahle custom pistons, block was bored by the team at CarBahn Steve Dinan’s new shop using correct techniques to maintain the Alusil microstructure, heads were ported and polished and refurbished, performance valve springs, new correct rod and main bearings, Vanos refurbished, new throttle actuators, all other seals, hoses, etc., replaced if needed, balanced rotating mass, basically a complete rebuild, equal length headers with 200 cell race cats, sport exhaust, custom tune to max power and torque, Evolve Eventuri intake, needles to say it’s really fun to drive, also a 3.91 2 clutch pack differential by DiffsOnline, SMG with Euro tune, Bilstein B6 shocks, H&R springs, BBK kit by Stoptech, RD Sport F & R sway bars, still looking to do minor tweaks and probably go to the Bilstein B16 set up at some time, installing a RPi front oil cooler once it arrives…
What did this dyno at?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I never got around to putting it up on the Dyno, maybe soon, having said that it produces a scary amount of power which is only amplified in the lower mid range by the torque multiplication effect of the 3.9 gearing

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you dyno’d it?

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
I never got around to putting it up on the Dyno, maybe soon, having said that it produces a scary amount of power which is only amplified in the lower mid range by the torque multiplication effect of the 3.9 gearing
Years ago, I was with a member here at Dinan's HQ in Morgan Hill when they dynoed his 5.7L stroker on their Dynapack and I recall it was around 555whp. That said, different dynos read differently and it would be inaccurate to use that number for comparison purposes.

Reactions: NoVA8675309
1 - 10 of 10 Posts