BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

WHERE ARE ALL THE S/C M5's?

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  BmwNut 
#1 ·
It was so much more exciting to follow all the drama of the forced M5's.What happened to them all?lovelove :cheers:

#2 ·
i've been wondering when the dinan cars will be hitting the streets.
We've heard from Rob, i think i'd heard that Abdulla will have his car this coming week. Not sure if the the other car is out of AA yet.

I've also heard that dinan has a list of people, yet i haven't heard of anyone on this board.

#3 · (Edited)
mottati said:
i've been wondering when the dinan cars will be hitting the streets.
We've heard from Rob, i think i'd heard that Abdulla will have his car this coming week. Not sure if the the other car is out of AA yet.

I've also heard that dinan has a list of people, yet i haven't heard of anyone on this board.
Well as for an update on the cars that left www.Discovery-Automotive.com.

Rob has been driving his, he told me the story of how he has to fire her up and get out of the neighborhood ASAP so as not to awaken or upset them. He then shared of a rode trip to Dallas he made not long ago......as I recall he said that it was a 12 hour round trip. He also said that he had no problems until the next morning when he fired her up and got an SES light....not supercharger related, apparently something to do with the vent system on his gas tank. A problem that he shared that he has had many times ... As for Abdulla's, well I fly out in a few hours to had him the keys in Bahrain........

Now to Bloch's M5 and it leaving AA, I understand that it left and within only a few days the car was returned to AA with the clutch destroyed. At the moment I think that it remains idle at AA while Bloch deals with various people to see who might be willing to pay to replace this clutch....... this seems weird that he should go through 2 clutches in so few miles....... I drove her well over a thousand miles, numerous dyno pulls and never a sign of a problem..... oh well.

And then lastly, I have just completed another supercharged Z8 and she will be delivered to her excited owner shortly after my return from Bahrain.

Take care

Shadowman

#4 ·
The black M5 is in UAE at the moment and is scheduled to arrive on weds night... although it will be a weekend, hopefully i will do my best to get her out and press on the start button :1:

Bill, Good luck with your 18 hours flight to Bahrain (with the wait in Frankfurt brings the total to 20+
)... Make sure you've got alot of magazines to read... A game boy might come handy...

Have a safe trip and i look forward to seeing you in the Kindom of Bahrain

#5 ·
Black M5 said:
The black M5 is in UAE at the moment and is scheduled to arrive on weds night... although it will be a weekend, hopefully i will do my best to get her out and press on the start button :1:

Bill, Good luck with your 18 hours flight to Bahrain (with the wait in Frankfurt brings the total to 20+
)... Make sure you've got alot of magazines to read... A game boy might come handy...

Have a safe trip and i look forward to seeing you in the Kindom of Bahrain

I am anxious, nervous, and excited all wrapped in a very tight package at the moment. As for the travel time, thanks for reminding me……… and then I will be turning around and doing it all over again.

Abdulla, I am very excited for you and looking forward to spending a few days with you and your friends.

In 9 hours I will be heading towards the plane to begin the trip….see you soon.

Shadowman

#6 ·
nervous ? dont worry Saddam's in jail..

#7 ·
shadowman said:
Now to Bloch's M5 and it leaving AA, I understand that it left and within only a few days the car was returned to AA with the clutch destroyed. At the moment I think that it remains idle at AA while Bloch deals with various people to see who might be willing to pay to replace this clutch....... this seems weird that he should go through 2 clutches in so few miles....... I drove her well over a thousand miles, numerous dyno pulls and never a sign of a problem..... oh well.
Interesting... two destroyed clutches with little driving? From different companies... different installers... at that point, one has to look at the person behind the wheel. Smells like abuse or just not knowing how to drive stick that well.

Glad to hear things are going well with Rob's car. Hopefully Abdulla's goes as smoothly.

#9 ·
shadowman said:
I am anxious, nervous, and excited all wrapped in a very tight package at the moment. As for the travel time, thanks for reminding me……… and then I will be turning around and doing it all over again.

Abdulla, I am very excited for you and looking forward to spending a few days with you and your friends.

In 9 hours I will be heading towards the plane to begin the trip….see you soon.

Shadowman
Have a nice trip and see you soon in Bahrain :M5thumbs:

#10 ·
Guys (Rob here...over at josh's house right now)

My car is running pretty good...had some fuel tank vent issues right now. Not to be hiding anything, im still working with bill to get rid of a cold start issue that creeps in now an again more than likely due to the capacity of my cats.

other than that...thats about it. Ive been kinda visiting the board lately but not posting as ive had alot of personal issues that need to be resolved first and formost.

#11 ·
On a side note,there are several people over at B.F.C. that are trying to put together a Twin Screw kit for the M62.Not a M5 but still interesting.Maybe T/S M5 in the future??:cheers:

#12 ·
Have a great trip out there Bill! I have had the joy of traveling around the world a few times, and every new stop is an adventure. But being able to see the black beast again makes it all worth it, not to mention putting a face to a name.
Enjoy the beast when you get it Abdulla!
I agree Dan, two clutches in a short time like that lead me to believe that there is more at play than installation error or a poor break in...
:cheers:

#13 ·
BmwNut said:
Have a great trip out there Bill! I have had the joy of traveling around the world a few times, and every new stop is an adventure. But being able to see the black beast again makes it all worth it, not to mention putting a face to a name.
Enjoy the beast when you get it Abdulla!
I agree Dan, two clutches in a short time like that lead me to believe that there is more at play than installation error or a poor break in...
Why don't you just come out and say it?No cucumber sandwiches served here.;)

#14 ·
Sure then. As a stick driving snob, it sounds like someone needs some more practice behind the wheel of a 100hp car before they slip the crap out of a clutch in a 600hp car and then blame others. Cant beat around the bush on this one.

#16 ·
So wait Dan, you expect to have your cake and eat it too? What a fool you are....hiha hiha hiha Just j/k. IMO 90% of those who drive stick drive it well enough to go from point A to B, and they beat the car apart doing so. Many people accept a manual tranny and endure rough shifting. After seeing the pictures of the last clutch, and hearing of this new clutch (which was supposed to take all the "abuse" ...LMAO) failing, I can do nothing but fault the driver. Maybe UUC will make a 18'' ceramic clutch that will fit the E39 and take all the "abuse" thrown at it. In the mean time, learn how to drive stick. I am done debating this, and if your opinion is different than mine, fly out to AZ and I'll show you how it is done.
I dont mean to be horribly arrogant, but this bothers me a lot. Any mechanical part can only take so much abuse. I can blow the clutch out of my 115hp Jetta in 2 minutes if I felt so inclined, or if I didnt know what I was doing.

#17 ·
I assume the meat of your post was directed at the owner/driver of the M5!! Right? I know I don't have an issue with driving stick. Only one of my cars is an automatic.

I agree totally with your sentiment. I have 4 cars making at least 393hp. One puts out over 600. The M5 recently had its clutch replaced under warrenty (self adjuster apparently caused problem, at least that was what I was told). Even though I am still dialing in the 600+ car, I have about 1800 miles on it, not a single clutch problem (I wish everything was working as well as the clutch!). One car has 30k miles on it, with around 540 hp, stock flywheel (GM dual mass), aftermarket clutch disk and pressure plate. And it hasn't had an easy life, plenty of racing (both drag and road course). I think I will replace its clutch next fall, just to be safe and to have something to play with (been wanting to try some 2nd gear launches at the track anyway, the clutch should LOVE that! And I think I might pick up a couple of tenths.) I have a modded Neon (I know, flame suit on.. but it is going to be my brother's car after he graduates) that has 68k on the original clutch, and it is just now starting to slip, after teaching 4 people how to drive stick in it. I suspect teaching my sister-in-law how to drive stick will put the final nail in the coffin!

Actually, I only have a problem with one of my cars.. and it is one of the BMWs. The 530 has that stupid CDV and it causes the clutch to slip alot, especially when I am really pushing it. I almost got rear ended in it the other day as I pulled out onto the road, full throttle, aggressive clutch release, LOTS of slip equals engine bouncing off rev limiter, car barely accelerating, and that BIG truck coming up fast! If it wasn't a lease, I'd get the CDV removed.

#18 ·
Oh Dan, the meat of that post was 100% directed away from you, and towards the owner of the M5 we just might be making fun of. You sound like someone who knows what they are doing with a stick. Sorry if my past posts might have seem as if they were in reference to you, as they were (IMO) supporting you.
In regards to the M5 in question, yes, my post are away from you. Lets see someone like me (in the future with money) have a 600hp M5 and keep the clutch in one piece (not that hard...learning process). Lets see someone like Dan keep a clutch. Now, lets see a newbie drive a stickm blow the clutch out, and then complain...I bet that never happens on this board....LOL.

#20 ·
I agree that we do see eye to eye on this. Some people have the skill sets to do it, some dont. With some prudence a clutch can last almost forever (had 128k on my GTI's clutch), or can be killed in an instant. The operator determines the life span based upon how they operate their car. Not even to mention, there is a way to drive very fast without killing a clutch. I'm not easy on my Jetta, and I wasnt easy on my GTI, and both had clutches that lasted a long time. 43k in my Jetta, and the clutch feels just like it did once I broke it in.
In regards to the CDV (which I had in my 528 and hated), it works best to lead upshifts and starts with the clutch. I used to dump the clutch and then bring the gas in to keep it from slipping. There is a certain sweet spot on starts, as if you dont get it just right it slips, and get it wrong and :M5rev: with a whole lot of stink in the cabin. I hated the CDV.

#21 ·
You know, what kills me with CDV.. the logic is to protect the trans, half shafts, etc.. but at the expense of the clutch. I guess BMW's thought on this is that it is easier to blame a owner for not knowing how to drive clutch (which they can charge to replace the clutch) than it is to eat the potential costs of trashed u-joints or cv-joints, which would be harder to lay blame on the customer.

#22 ·
I still think that they could blame the owners when things break even if they didnt have a CDV. Signs of abuse show through really easily. Some people think that BMW's take abuse well, but they dont. Mustangs and Camaros take abuse well. Someone who beats the crap out of an E39 then wonders about guibos, rear subframes sway bar brackets etc deserves to pay to replace the parts.
A CDV is the lamest way to keep parts from breaking. Lets think about it; lets break a part so others dont get broken... :confused: I didnt know about them when I had my 528; I just thought the car had a crappy clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.