BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody!

I have one quick( I hope ) question. When is it proper to shift gears?? I meet another M5 owner the other day with all the Dinan mods on his car and he was telling me to always take every gear out to 5,000 or 6,000 rpm, then shift to next gear. Is this good scoop?? He was saying that you build on each gear and not to shift until you get its max potential. So, I find myself doing a lot of driving in 4th gear at 70-80 mph. I know it can't hurt to go to 5th and lower the rpm's, so what is right or more correct??

If I ask to many questions here please be patient with me. I love my car and have waited a long time to get it and just want to do things right. You can't get a lot of this info from a manuel. :typing:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I don't think there is a "correct" rpm so much as a practical "range" to shift. Basically, I like to rev it enough in each gear so that by the time I'm into the next gear, I'm still within a decent torque band of the engine. This will vary by individual because some people shift more quickly than others, and will vary by gear, since some are farther apart from each other than other gears are. For me, the sweet spot tends to be in the range of 4000-4500 rpm, but even then it depends on my driving mood.

Routinely revving to 6000 rpm isn't necessary because even if you're the slowest on the clutch, you won't drop down so low as to lug the engine in the next higher gear. There is nothing really wrong with revving to 6k either, other than causing more wear on the engine and drivetrain, and using more gas. :M5launch:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
IMHO What it comes down to is personal driving styles, the more you drive the car the more comfortable you become and find your niche(sp):1:

·
Registered
590 Posts
rodman31

Your going to wear your baby out if you shift that high all the time.:M5launch: :hihi: It's not necessary. At 70-80 you should be in 6th gear in less your ready to race someone. You could easily shift at 3000-3500 and still drive very comfortablely with some zip. This engine has real nice low end torque.

Try different rpm ranges until you find one that's easy to drive.
Joe

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
It's like asking the best way to ski down a slope...

Want to be aggressive? Racing? High speed GS cruise? or mash every mogul...

Depends on how you feel- really you will develop a few different styles- I've got three: a mindless 'don't have to think much' cruise, a 'getting on it but not racing', and a 'balls to the wall, maximum performance' mode

Don't lug it, don't over rev, any thing else is fine.

Adam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts