BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I've been having a little problem since taking my baby out of the winter stable...as I posted last week there's a problem at idle...it seems to stumble periodically, but then the revs bounce around and level out...no change in performance during driving, etc. (New battery installed at Inspection 1, cam sensor was changed at 21K miles)

I called the dealership (Difeo BMW) this AM, and they haven't called me back as of 3:30PM...so much for customer service. :grrrrr:

Anyway, I spoke to the guy who does all my aftermarket work and he mentioned e39 cars having problems with misfiring spark plugs and or the wires that lead to them.

Has anyone else had a similar condition???? If so how was it corrected?? Should a car need new plugs and/or wires with <25K miles??

Thanks all and have a grand weekend!!! :byee55amg

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The Sparkplugs should make 50000 with no problems from them except normal wear.
Now there is a VERY BIG issue with the plug wires on E39s, the factory forgot to put them in. :hihi:
No, the car doesn't have any plug wires, the coils mount on top of the sprakplugs.

If you have a skip in firing it could be oil in the valley causing a short to ground, do a search for misfiring.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I replaced my plugs at 43,000 and I am glad I did. While the original plugs were not in terrible shape, I noticed a smoother idle and reving of the engine with the new plugs installs. As 6pd stated, there are no wires on the E39, as the coils just mount right to the plugs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Ok, no spark plug wires! Something I get to save money on not replacing. I am being lazing and have not looked at the reccomended replacement schedule for the plugs. When should they be replaced according to BMW? What brand are we suppose to replace them with? What brand might be the best replacement?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Mark:

The plugs are supposed to be changed with your inspection 2 service. The factory replacements are NGK 4 prong platinum plugs. I have the exact number out in the shop. I would nto get them through your dealer though, as the price differece between the dealer and a regular parts store is around $7 per plug! If you want, you can also look into the Bosch Platinum Plus 4 plugs, but NGK is the factory plug. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I haven't looked yet but if there is a option for Iridium plugs grab them.
They hold up much better than any plug I've used so far(on other types of engines).
the only good thing about Platinum plugs are they last twice as long but cost twice as much. There are no power gains from them just life without worry.

·
10,455 Posts
6spd said:
I haven't looked yet but if there is a option for Iradium plugs grab them.
They hold up much better than any plug I've used so far(on other types of engines).
the only good thing about Platinum plugs are they last twice as long but cost twice as much. There are no power gains from them just life without worry.
I originally changed my plugs around 45k, and the car did seem to run better afterwards. Recently, around 60k, i put in a set of denso irridium plugs, along with the ignition solution plasma coils. I can't say i feel much of a difference, but the car is running great!
Mike

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Double check the numbers.
Bosch - FGR7DQP
NGK - BKR6EQUP
The "P" is for Platinum, Q is quad tip on the ground electrode.
Now these are listed under the M62TU since there isn't a book for S62 engine.
They also give 100000 on a set of plugs.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The Denso Iridium plugs a few years back had a production flaw that should be fixed by now.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
TCM said:
Mark:

The plugs are supposed to be changed with your inspection 2 service. The factory replacements are NGK 4 prong platinum plugs. I have the exact number out in the shop. I would nto get them through your dealer though, as the price differece between the dealer and a regular parts store is around $7 per plug! If you want, you can also look into the Bosch Platinum Plus 4 plugs, but NGK is the factory plug. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to have my inspection II performed and a couple of items I am going to have them skip. Oil change, plugs, and MAF replacement(if a problem) as well as air filter replacement would all be items I will have them skip.

Has anyone else been selective in their inspections about what to skip? It should also reduce the cost. Oh yes, no brake rotor or pad replacement.

6spd - Are there any real advantages to the iradium plugs over the platinum besides price?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
MAH,
I can't give a personal tested response, I have tested the Bosch Platinum, NGK, Splitfire, Denso, Champion, AC plugs but not the Iridiums yet.
The Iridium plugs I have around the shop are production type.
I've seen them go 100000 in my brother in law's Toyota Matrix with a Supercharger on it. What I have seen and heard from others around me is they are worth the money so far.
Truefully I use NGK in everything I have, I'm most impressed with the "V"power type.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
6spd,

Thanks for the insight.

Mark

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Thanks guys...

Definitely earn something new on this board everyday...Now I have an SES light, so I'm taking her into the shop this weekend to see what's going on. I'll let you all know what turns up...

As for being selective on Inspections, sure you can. You're the one paying, right?? I did for inspection 1, since I'd already had the cabin filters replaced, and a couple other minor things. Saved myself>$125. Talk to your SA, he shouldn't try to rake you over the coals...
Good luck with that...

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Re: Thanks guys...

lsdvm said:
Definitely earn something new on this board everyday...Now I have an SES light, so I'm taking her into the shop this weekend to see what's going on. I'll let you all know what turns up...

As for being selective on Inspections, sure you can. You're the one paying, right?? I did for inspection 1, since I'd already had the cabin filters replaced, and a couple other minor things. Saved myself>$125. Talk to your SA, he shouldn't try to rake you over the coals...
Good luck with that...
Couldn't agree with you more. If they want to take you to the bank then you need to look for another dealer.

Mark

·
Registered
369 Posts
6spd said:
The Sparkplugs should make 50000 with no problems from them except normal wear.
Now there is a VERY BIG issue with the plug wires on E39s, the factory forgot to put them in. :hihi:
No, the car doesn't have any plug wires, the coils mount on top of the sprakplugs.

If you have a skip in firing it could be oil in the valley causing a short to ground, do a search for misfiring.
What causes the oil to go into the valleys. I am changing mine now and noticed some oil seepage.

·
10,455 Posts
lwebb12 said:
What causes the oil to go into the valleys. I am changing mine now and noticed some oil seepage.
Leaking valve cover gaskets.
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts