BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the local Brand-X-German-car dealer has offered what he considers good deals on some nice demo cars he has. His position is that these are essentially new cars that he will sell at invoice, or slightly under when equipped with some dealer add-ons (Sirius, phone).

My position is that these are used cars, period, and 10 to 15% depreciation is involved. If someone asked for "invoice" price in the private sale of a used car, one would walk away in a heartbeat.

Have you ever convinced a dealership that a demo is simply a used car? Or has the dealer convinced you that a demo is a new car?

Steve

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Many dealers buy in cars for demos for showroom and sell them off as new, as long as it is not a car that is used to test drives and is not at the lot for a excessive ammount of time I could be considered new. There would be a tiny bit off... but not much.

If the car is one that customers would take for test drives then no... definately not new.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Legally it is a new car but technically it is used. So you can argue that.

TurboCarrera said:
So the local Brand-X-G

erman-car dealer has offered what he considers good deals on some nice demo cars he has. His position is that these are essentially new cars that he will sell at invoice, or slightly under when equipped with some dealer add-ons (Sirius, phone).

My position is that these are used cars, period, and 10 to 15% depreciation is involved. If someone asked for "invoice" price in the private sale of a used car, one would walk away in a heartbeat.

Have you ever convinced a dealership that a demo is simply a used car? Or has the dealer convinced you that a demo is a new car?

Steve

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
whats the milage? And why is there a demo on a car thats now 2 yrs old?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jayson: these are 2005 models, one of which was new to the US in 2005. All the cars have about 5k on them, and were largely driven by sales management.

Somehow I think they have a secret mileage re-adjustment formula that says 5000 sales guy miles are equivalent to 5 real miles... ;)

Steve

·
Registered
170 Posts
By definition, a demo is a used car

Demo cars are titled and registered. The bank that finances the dealer's inventory makes a clear distinction. Also, even if the car is not titled and has limited miles, but sits on the lot for a long time (say, a few months after the next model year is in), the dealer's bank will force them to reclassify that unit as used as well. There's no such thing as a 2 year old new car - it would be a 2 year old car with very low miles.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Re: By definition, a demo is a used car

I got a HUGE discount when I leased a car that had never been titles from another German maker but had 500 miles on the clock from dealer swapping the car, not from test drives.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Re: By definition, a demo is a used car

I view a demo as worse that used- beaten by people have nothing to loose.

Put it this way- when you've gotten a loaner while your car is in service, how hve you treated the car? Those are sold as 'executive demos'...

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
TurboCarrera said:
Jayson: these are 2005 models, one of which was new to the US in 2005. All the cars have about 5k on them, and were largely driven by sales management.

Somehow I think they have a secret mileage re-adjustment formula that says 5000 sales guy miles are equivalent to 5 real miles... ;)

Steve

I"m sorry I was misreading, I was thiking a demo M5...Sorry. Long week.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Our local BMW Stealers start the factory warranty (4years-50,000 miles) from the time you take delivery for "demo" vehicles.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
M5 Fever said:
If I'm not mistaken, BMW adds 3 months and 3,000 miles to the factory warranty for all demos. Ask for a copy of the vehicle history report and it should show these extensions.

al
Dream on! There was a time when they made some concessions but no more. The warranty miles are fixed in the computer, make your best deal.

There is a point, I think 5,000 miles where the car is no longer considered new.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I would walk away from the situation. You can buy a new never titled car at invoice, so why buy one with miles on it for the same price? It might be time to search another dealership, and maybe use the demo offer from the first dealership to get their price lower.
ard said:
Put it this way- when you've gotten a loaner while your car is in service, how hve you treated the car? Those are sold as 'executive demos'...
If someone ever purchases a certain E46 325i from a bay area dealership, be prepared for some repair bills when the car gets older. Or the Camary Solara my bud has right now since his E90 is in the shop. When it's not your car and you dont care, you treat the car like it cost $5.
:cheers:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Jim Dolan said:
Dream on! There was a time when they made some concessions but no more. The warranty miles are fixed in the computer, make your best deal.

There is a point, I think 5,000 miles where the car is no longer considered new.
I'm not going to argue the point, but I was made that offer on a 03 M5 2 years ago and a 01 M Roadster 3 months ago. I didn't ask for special consideration, it was presented that way in the offering. Two dif dealers in dif states.

Just my experience

al

·
Registered
68 Posts
We bought a BMW executive car back in Jan. 2000. A 1999 540iAT Sport Wagon fully loaded with 5500 miles for 48K. Sticker was 62K. The warranty began the day that the car was put into service by BMW so I lost 7 months of warranty.

The delivery order said the car was delivered with a presskit and special prep. So the car may have been lent to press, who knows?
When I ran a Carfax on it, it came up as a fleet car. And there is still a numbered sticker from BMW at the bottom of the windshield that corresponds to a keytag.

My wife loves the car and we've had 40K mostly trouble-free miles.

Peter M
2000 M5
1999 540iAT

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
M5 Fever said:
I'm not going to argue the point, but I was made that offer on a 03 M5 2 years ago and a 01 M Roadster 3 months ago. I didn't ask for special consideration, it was presented that way in the offering. Two dif dealers in dif states.

Just my experience

al
Yes, my demo 525it I purchased in 2003 with 46 miles, had the factory warranty extended by 3 months and 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It may have changed since I investigated this in Colorado, but in 1986 at least, the DMV here clearly said that any car with more than 200 miles on the clock was a used car.

And if its a used car, around here at least, you have to disclose any problems with it that you know of if asked directly. That could be true in most places that have good consumer protection laws. It would also explain to some extent a dealers willingness to try and sell higher mileage demo or exectutive cars as new. If there is a problem with the car they can just cover it under the original warranty without disclosing any problem to the consumer. Not saying thats done a lot, but I would not put it past some dealers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts