BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I've heard that when the E39 M5 was released, there were design "errors" in the engine, and at later time, BMW has fixed this on warranty.

Is this correct; and what did they change / fix ?

How is the european warranty from BMW on the M5 actually??? Thinking abt my 2000 model...

/AFX

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
AFX said:
Hi,

I've heard that when the E39 M5 was released, there were design "errors" in the engine, and at later time, BMW has fixed this on warranty.

Is this correct; and what did they change / fix ?

How is the european warranty from BMW on the M5 actually??? Thinking abt my 2000 model...

/AFX
We know they changed the design of the piston rings and post 03/00 models had the newer rings. Older cars required to run 10/60 oil, in the U. S. 5/30 is recommended post 03/00 production, but many still prefer the 10/60 and European listers have indicated 10/60 is still the recommended oil for all S623 motors, regardless of production.
Cam position sensors failed often and they were updated and many replaced under warranty, mostly intake.
Same with the Vanos, I believe it had to do with replacing seals in the solenoid and the addition of an accumulator on the early cars, so there was oil present at startup. Many older cars have noise on startup that makes it sound like a diesel for a few seconds, but apparently there is no harm done according to BMW.
I am sure there are other running improvements, but these are the major ones that come to mind.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts