BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to reminisce on the past but I am - I first came to the e63/64 area of the forum 9 years ago and it was booming with questions and answers all the time probably 20 new questions ( and usually answered well) a day.

tbh I havent been on for a while but man, where is everybody and where did you go? I asked a question a month ago and it’s the 7th most recent post :’)

not a moan but genuinely curious what’s happened

·
Registered
224 Posts
I’ve noticed this as well. I spend more time on the M forum on Facebook as there are lots of posting going on daily (some just new folks showing off their car and silly stuff but the occasional interesting topic). I ended up making a YouTube channel to post my DIYs for things like the rod bearing job I did and other fixes as it seems that people like videos more than discussion these days. I hop on here occasionally as well just to see what’s new, but not near as much as I did in the past either. I also have a couple of odd cars that had forums like this one as well (Pontiac Fiero and my little Nissan 720 Pickup), but both of these forums are getting less traffic as well as more people are heading for the Facebook forums for these too it seems :(

·
1,826 Posts
The M6 forum has been pretty quiet for a while. There's more action on the M5 forum. Then there's FB which is mostly wheels and stuff photos. Every now and then Jim and/or Robert Collins (BE guy) will chime in with some good stuff tho.

·
Registered
224 Posts
In thinking about it, some of the newer owners may not even know about the forum....I think I’ll post a link over there on the FB forum I case some want to join. I’ll try to post some stuff up over here as well soon too 👍

·
Registered
685 Posts
I still lurk here regularly and I have seen the same thing and wonder if some of it isn't that many of the questions have been answered in previous posts. Our "search is your friend" mantra may mean less reason to post. However, when I first joined there was a lot of social byplay as well and maybe that has moved into the FB realm.

🍻

Jim

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this thread is a good start :) didn’t think I’d get this many responses this quick

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Still here too...mostly on the e60 side. I think FB and IG is where many people went. I am not on FB but am on IG, mostly for posting pics of smoking meat (and some BMW content) @woodysmokesmeat. Also, I know many of us in CA are friends off-line as well, and keep in touch via group texts.

I also think many have abandoned the e6x platform for other platforms or shiny new leases. I’m pretty much committed to this platform, as I cannot think of a worthy replacement to my e60. I have been shopping for a 6 speed GT3 to add to the garage, but I am waiting for that bubble to burst, as they made SOOOOOO many of them. I was never sold on the f10/f13. The new f90 is insanely quick, but that’s about it. The m4 GTS only comes with flappy paddles, the m2 Comp with a 6 speed is tempting.

I think our platforms are the last of BMW making drivers’ cars.

BDB89E2C-B50B-43FE-8687-166907282FB9.jpeg

Right now, I’m going through a cooling overhaul. Replacing my original (168,000 miles) thermostat, sensor, water pump, and everything associated with cooling “while you’re in there”. Sitting next to my e28 m5 track car today:

EE5DB97B-7008-4657-A921-371D2390D45E.jpeg

Also picked up an e30 with another M5board member, kheimlich, for wheel to wheel racing in NASA and Lucky Dog enduro series.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have an M6 but post on the e60 section because it looks like it is more active over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I still lurk as well! I recognize a few names that have posted so far.. :D:ROFLMAO:

I should be more active since I'm actually going to do another E63 build.. I've been all over the place 'toy-wise' since my '07 M6 but I picked up a nice low mileage '10 Alpine White with Indy Red interior so it should be fun.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
I still lurk as well! I recognize a few names that have posted so far.. :D:ROFLMAO:

I should be more active since I'm actually going to do another E63 build.. I've been all over the place 'toy-wise' since my '07 M6 but I picked up a nice low mileage '10 Alpine White with Indy Red interior so it should be fun.
Good to see you Bryan! Looking forward to your build.

@Hasan Shaikh still pops in from time to time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Facebook has killed off many car forums, its more instant for the impatient guys , however forums are more stable I think and you can look back at previous threads... shame

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hi Woody!

Yes, I assumed Hasan would still be lurking because I believe he still as his M6.

Does Dan (WhatTheHeck) or any of the rest of the ol' pack ever stop by anymore?

-b.

Good to see you Bryan! Looking forward to your build.

@Hasan Shaikh still pops in from time to time.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Hi Woody!

Yes, I assumed Hasan would still be lurking because I believe he still as his M6.

Does Dan (WhatTheHeck) or any of the rest of the ol' pack ever stop by anymore?

-b.
Dan hasn't been around much after his Ferrari. Haven't seen Clyde, and even @CSBM5 (Chuck) from the e39 side, sold his incredible e39 for an M2 Comp...Hasan picked up an e36 m3 to track/hoon, and returned his m6 closer to stock. I see a couple of the older guys on a Rolex forum; and a handful of California guys are on group texts together. I know a few people moved over to bimmerpost, for their f10s. I'm registered over there, but never migrated, as I never picked up an f10 or f13.

The Board is definitely different these days. With that said, there seems to be a new round of enthusiasts giving our platforms a new life.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I still view the forums a few times a week just to see what is happening. Have to agree that FB and other social media has hurt all of the various forums I subscribe.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
At one time, this forum was hugely entertaining but time marches on I guess. I recognize many of the names here and have great memories of the comradery, humor and knowledge disseminated within. I still miss my E63 and you all, and now drive a 2015 M6 with comp package and tune. 720 hp! Crazy! On Bimmerpost.

·
Registered
209 Posts
At one time, this forum was hugely entertaining but time marches on I guess. I recognize many of the names here and have great memories of the comradery, humor and knowledge disseminated within. I still miss my E63 and you all, and now drive a 2015 M6 with comp package and tune. 720 hp! Crazy! On Bimmerpost.
On paper the F series M5/6 beats the E60/63 in every single way except for sound and cyl numbers but how does it feel?

I have a friend who has an F10 M5 and says it's actually kinda boring to drive and is looking to sell it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I went from the E63 M6 nicely modified to the F10 M5 and did find it big, stiff (you are up higher)and not all that fun. I then switched out to the M6 I currently own and its much better. Lower, lighter, handles better than the m5 and I really like it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
which forum? can you link it? thank you

I’ve noticed this as well. I spend more time on the M forum on Facebook as there are lots of posting going on daily (some just new folks showing off their car and silly stuff but the occasional interesting topic). I ended up making a YouTube channel to post my DIYs for things like the rod bearing job I did and other fixes as it seems that people like videos more than discussion these days. I hop on here occasionally as well just to see what’s new, but not near as much as I did in the past either. I also have a couple of odd cars that had forums like this one as well (Pontiac Fiero and my little Nissan 720 Pickup), but both of these forums are getting less traffic as well as more people are heading for the Facebook forums for these too it seems :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts