BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006, Interlagos Blue, SMG
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, it's a problem, and it's related to the clutch, but this is not what I expected when I finally managed to remove the transmission:

Automotive tire Light Alloy wheel Vehicle brake Rim

Here's a closeup of the grooves:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Vehicle brake

Not terrible! There was one rivet which had obviously met its fate and rattled around in the bellhousing a bit, but everything else looked OK.

What then was the cause of my variously colored cogs, slipping transmission, rear-ended-feeling thumps, etc.? Take a look at this little beauty:

Automotive tire Alloy wheel Vehicle brake Rim Gas

Closeup of side 1:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Wood Engineering

Closeup of side 2:
Light Tire Wheel Black Automotive tire

Finally, a closeup of the inside:
Automotive tire Fluid Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

With everything out, the clutch will be getting all new material (kevlar, refacing the clutch, not new parts) but the flywheel looks quite good still, so that won't be touched.

Onward.

·
Registered
2006, Interlagos Blue, SMG
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good questions.

85000 miles, relatively gently driven, meaning that I've never done anything like a launch controlled start. As far as I know, this is the original clutch.

As to the Kevlar, my reading indicates that it should perform like the organic material from an engagement standpoint, but last significantly longer. It looks like it's not a huge issue, from the state of the discs that I just removed, but given the opportunity I would like to make sure I have the longest possible interval before doing this job again. And, since I'm having the clutch discs rebuilt, it's a minor cost adder to the work. I guess that additionally, I couldn't really find a source for Kevlar friction discs as part of a set. It's possible that's what some of the Spec clutches incorporate but the reviews on those parts seem to be all over the map.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts