BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from Spartanburg and the M5 Driving Experience. We were given a tech session with their resident bodyshop/paint guru and he advised the M5 wheels are electrostatically plated with Silver (not chrome) over a black undercoat and then clearcoated. Come from a single source in Italy and are not repairable anywhere including Mucnich. Must be replaced. Mine are getting black edges from too many car wash tracks (since Nov. '99) and I'm not looking forward to new ones. Does anyone know a source that could "satin" or dark chrome plate to match??

------------------

·
Registered
311 Posts
The color can be closely matched but not exactly. A service rep at a local BMW dealership said that he only recommends getting them refinished/repaired if you're gonna get two on the same side fixed or all 4. That way you can't see the difference in two different wheels on the same side.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
A while back we discussed brake dust on the wheels and how to clean them. Pressure washing we decided is bad for these and painted wheels. Here's a situation even worse. These type of car washes play havoc with cars finishes and wheels. The operators of these places will argue how safe and
gentle they are and I say Bull Sh##t. It only takes one idiot to screw your car up.

Either hand wash it yourself or get someone else to do it. I went to one in Davie a week ago (I was in a pinch to get it clean for the meet) and they agreed to hand wash it, if I preferred, for fifteen bucks. Well worth it wouldn't you say in exchange for $3,500 worth of wheels.

I made a connection with a good car wash guy who comes to my house for $20 per car. No strong chemicals or wheel cleaners other than car soap.

Need I say, no one can wash your car better than you. Sorry but this subject gets me going..

------------------
Jim
00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I agree with Mr. Dolan, no one should wash your car other than yourself. You took the effort and the investment into purchasing the car, now look after that investment.

I've NEVER let anyone come close to washing my car. God knows what they'd do to my baby.

--Dan

·
Registered
722 Posts
With regard to the danger of the automated car wash...

It was only a year ago that I sold my silver 1988 BMW 735i 5-spd, which during those years was rarely waxed, was periodically washed, and was always garaged. A pull-through automatic car wash was almost always used and then the car towel-dried under close observation. When sold, the car looked like new.

Because of the extra care I wanted to give to the black paint job on my NSX, I opted to use a service that touted the superiority of hand-washing the car. I didn't doubt the advantage of the hand wash, until I watched those guys sloppily move their sponges and towels around the wheel wells and along the lower edges of the car where these instruments were bound to pick up grit, and then casually return to washing or drying the more visible paint surfaces on the hood, rear deck, and upper doors. I even watched as one clown more than once dropped a rag to the ground, picked it up again, and resumed scrubbing the paint surface. GASP! I think they were surprised when I asked to drive the car away still dripping wet.

The above illustrates the potential chasm between theory and practice. A good hand wash is more thorough and safer than a automated wash; but a careless hand wash can be worse. As long as I don't have the time to give my car a hand wash that I can trust, the local pull-through car wash will have its appeal.

The wheels on the M5 are an altogether different issue that may disqualify the pull-through car wash. Does your $20 hand wash service have a franchise in Atlanta?

Richard

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hello Jim,

Glad to see you podt on the board. I enjoyed meeting you and your son this past weekend. BMW really treated us well, didn't they!!

Best Regards,

07/00 M5 Titanium/Silverstone
[email protected]

·
Registered
311 Posts
What's wrong with touchless carwashes other than the possible damage to the wheel from the wheel kiosk?

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
heres something Ive observed:

nearly NO ONE will wash and care for your car as you would. there are exceptions, people who genuinely love cars, but in general you should be the one to wash and care for your car.

those custom hand wash places and automatic washes both have dangers that were illustrated below. if you are ok with the possible dangers then by all means use them.

ME

·
Registered
187 Posts
Most carwashes have an alighnment bar that pushes the rearend over by guiding the tires into alighnment with the track. This bar will always scratch the left rear rim if the car starts out too far out of alighment with the track.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by GradX:
What's wrong with touchless carwashes other than the possible damage to the wheel from the wheel kiosk?
Please call Frank at 770.381.9223 for several hand wash/detail services in the Atlanta area.

------------------

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by rsteele:
With regard to the danger of the automated car wash...

It was only a year ago that I sold my silver 1988 BMW 735i 5-spd, which during those years was rarely waxed, was periodically washed, and was always garaged. A pull-through automatic car wash was almost always used and then the car towel-dried under close observation. When sold, the car looked like new.

Because of the extra care I wanted to give to the black paint job on my NSX, I opted to use a service that touted the superiority of hand-washing the car. I didn't doubt the advantage of the hand wash, until I watched those guys sloppily move their sponges and towels around the wheel wells and along the lower edges of the car where these instruments were bound to pick up grit, and then casually return to washing or drying the more visible paint surfaces on the hood, rear deck, and upper doors. I even watched as one clown more than once dropped a rag to the ground, picked it up again, and resumed scrubbing the paint surface. GASP! I think they were surprised when I asked to drive the car away still dripping wet.

The above illustrates the potential chasm between theory and practice. A good hand wash is more thorough and safer than a automated wash; but a careless hand wash can be worse. As long as I don't have the time to give my car a hand wash that I can trust, the local pull-through car wash will have its appeal.

The wheels on the M5 are an altogether different issue that may disqualify the pull-through car wash. Does your $20 hand wash service have a franchise in Atlanta?

Richard
Try Total Appearance 770.682.9600. They will come to your office/home and hand wash/detail your car by appointment.

------------------

·
Registered
533 Posts
I used to hand wash my cars once per week full treatments inside and out, but now I live in a apt with underground parking which makes washing the car myself not a possibility.

I'm pretty much forced to use automated washes these days.

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel
00' Vette convertible NBM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts