BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 wheels are not pure chrome. they almost look like someone painted them with a black chrome, but it is quite spotty. When I asked the original owner he indicated that they came like that from BMW. Don't get me wrong I really like the look, but it is very strange how spotty the coverage is. Can anyone give me some insight. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
he meant post some pictures so we can judge the finish for ourselves
Hahaha I thought you were joking..

“The word ttiwop is used in Acronym, Slang, Internet meaning this thread is worthless without pictures”

there Must be an acronym for everything at this point

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheels are in good shape and look nice. the pictures dont do them justice. The individual I bought the car off of is the original owner. I have known him for 40 years. He indicated he did nothing to them and that is the way they came

·
Registered
12 Posts
That first picture to me doesn’t look at all like an OEM quality finish, but they look better as I scroll.. What caught my eye mostly was around that top left lug nut going from a light finish to very dark to what almost looks like no finish at all. But again could be the angle/flash/camera. Any time I’ve wanted a better finish on my rims I’ve gone the powder coat route and it has always turned out great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was doing my own research and they say this is called satin finish where they spray the rim black and then highlight with silver but some of the black is visible. They say not two rims look the same. I have a couple real good rims and then a couple sloppy ones

·
Registered
88 Posts
Or that this was the OEM (?) "black chrome" finish and either salt or some corrosive cleaner got to it and marred the finish. Remember, at this point, the wheels could be a quarter-century old.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also think this is an OEM. Of course it'll look like that with time.
My friend, who is the original owner is 100% confident these are OEM. I think you are correct - a little patina. They look terrific on my silver M5. thanks everyone for your contribution to this post. Also, it had a Motorola phone that my friend says is long gone, but I just found one after quite a while of searching. Of course it will not work, but it will look nice in the console.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The finish is called Shadow Chrome. First the wheel is powder coated black, then successive layers of silver paint are sprayed over that to reach the desired level of “shadow”. Then they get clear coat. Also your center caps are the original as well. The modern ones have a larger logo.
If you have a search, you’ll find a lot of info on the refinishing process if that’s something you’d like to do down the line.

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The finish is called Shadow Chrome. First the wheel is powder coated black, then successive layers of silver paint are sprayed over that to reach the desired level of “shadow”. Then they get clear coat. Also your center caps are the original as well. The modern ones have a larger logo.
If you have a search, you’ll find a lot of info on the refinishing process if that’s something you’d like to do down the line.
Thank you !

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
Thank you !
I already know it was a Can car. The wheels are damaged or at least the paint is from car washes. There was a wheel cleaning chemical that was used up here for a few years in the mid to late 2000. It damaged a lot of painted wheels by dissolving away a very thin bit of paint that is why you see so much black. If the wheels were a solid color they just get dull. This stuff was also available at Crappy Tire and people used it by hand, if it was not rinsed off after it would work on the paint until the next rain. Sort of like what your first pic looks like between the spokes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I already know it was a Can car. The wheels are damaged or at least the paint is from car washes. There was a wheel cleaning chemical that was used up here for a few years in the mid to late 2000. It damaged a lot of painted wheels by dissolving away a very thin bit of paint that is why you see so much black. If the wheels were a solid color they just get dull. This stuff was also available at Crappy Tire and people used it by hand, if it was not rinsed off after it would work on the paint until the next rain. Sort of like what your first pic looks like between the spokes.
Probably some chemical like that as it looks like drips in one wheel. Actually it is an Iowa car. So there are some winters done there. Has not been driven regularly for 8 years.

From what I can see all of these E39 pretty much came with the same options. Mine has a few options but I don't think there overly rare. I have the rear automatic shade, The enhanced stereo and base, split rear seats, and ski bag. I also have green tinted windows...maybe all came with that though. I have the window sticker which is nice.

Are there any rare options other than color. My neighbor has one and he has a unique color...only one in NA he says. It is green from one direction and purplish from another direction. He has had it since new

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
Purchased in Iowa or lived in Iowa? Might have the same Can packages. The Can cars were a little better fitted out for base ones because they were trying for some ambitious price points. The $ was not worth a lot but I think the cheap Can went for 105K and some more, there are exceptions ordered car as an example but the Can cars came reasonably equipped.
That chem could have been used lots of places, I can only say Can because I remember the Lawsuits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts