BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I watch the Unique Whips show sometimes on Speed Channel. I think it should be called NASCAR channel. (NASCAR is the most pitiful form of motorsport competition and that especially includes the trucks. Subpar drivers and antiquated specs.)

Anyway, on Unique Whips everyone keeps referring to wheels as rims. I find this retarded. I do not want to be street cool. Rims are a part of the wheel.

I see a lot of tasteful mods. on this board and there are a lot of nice people here too. I do not want to offend anyone, but I think that the stock M5 wheels are about the best that I have seen on an M5. They don't overwhelm the car and look tasteful. To me, most of the aftermarket wheels make the M5 look like it is a modded 540i that wants to be an M5.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree with you that they are wheels and not rims but as long as we all understand the intended meaning I don't think it really matters. Different parts of the world have different names for various parts, e.g. bonnet, boot, and wings or even petrol for gasoline, or do you say gas? (even though it's clearly NOT gaseous)

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
What do you call a wheel with a tire mounted?

Is it a wheel/tire assembly?

Or is imprecision allowed when using the term 'wheel' to include or exclude a tire, depending on the context? But 'rim' shall ONLY refer to the circumferential section of a wheel, no mater the context?

:)

A

1 - 5 of 5 Posts