BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Wheels: 21"20"19"

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  360bhp 
#1 ·
Performance speaking, is considering a 20"-21" wheel a mistake? Coming from a 996TT, the 18" proved to be a max fit for track use and overall street performance, yet many Porsche owners looking for street bling went to 19's and suffered badly with poor handling characteristics and ride quality. Is this the same situation with the M5? I would hate to sacrafice even an ounce of performance and ride for a pimp look, but those Hartge 21's look pretty nice.

#2 ·
I would love hartge 21's but driving those around chicago is like throwing money into the fireplace... wouldn't be long before they become a casualty of a pothole. I will probably stick with 19's or at most a nice set of 20's but for on-track performance I would think that 19's are optimal.

#3 ·
mowblowgo said:
Performance speaking, is considering a 20"-21" wheel a mistake?
You have to consider the insurance and legality issues as well. There are no tyres that have the correct minimum load rating specified by BMW for the M5 in 20" and 21" that I'm aware of.

In Australia, if you're doing any track days or rally events that require your tyres to be roadworthy your car won't pass scruitineering on non conforming load rating tyres, and you certainly will have problems with claiming on your car insurance. Not sure what the situation is in other countries but insurers being a global business it's probably the same.

I can't believe that aftermarket companies are putting togther 21" wheel and tyre packages that will put the car owner's assets at risk and not advising them of this.

#4 ·
I have hartge 21" wheels and ride quality is perfect same as with 19" I dont feel any difference when it comes to street performance, one thing that is much better is performance in very high speed 150-200mph, it was good before but now perfect:)

mowblowgo said:
Performance speaking, is considering a 20"-21" wheel a mistake? Coming from a 996TT, the 18" proved to be a max fit for track use and overall street performance, yet many Porsche owners looking for street bling went to 19's and suffered badly with poor handling characteristics and ride quality. Is this the same situation with the M5? I would hate to sacrafice even an ounce of performance and ride for a pimp look, but those Hartge 21's look pretty nice.

#5 ·
Mats P said:
I have hartge 21" wheels and ride quality is perfect same as with 19" I dont feel any difference when it comes to street performance, one thing that is much better is performance in very high speed 150-200mph, it was good before but now perfect:)
You've actually been to 200 mph?

#8 ·
sydl said:
You have to consider the insurance and legality issues as well. There are no tyres that have the correct minimum load rating specified by BMW for the M5 in 20" and 21" that I'm aware of.
The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's satisfy the minumun load rating. 710 front, 750 rear. They were actually the original M5 tires, but didn't show up on the production car, probably because they're $400 more per set than the Conti's.

#9 ·
sydl said:
.. and you certainly will have problems with claiming on your car insurance. Not sure what the situation is in other countries but insurers being a global business it's probably the same.
In the US, they would have to prove that the tires are at fault for the accident or whatever damage the car has. Otherwise.. they will have to pay.

#10 ·
Wolverine said:
The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's satisfy the minumun load rating. 710 front, 750 rear. They were actually the original M5 tires, but didn't show up on the production car, probably because they're $400 more per set than the Conti's.
In 20" and 21"? I know of some in 19" that are not the same size as the Contis that one of the members on this board changed to. There are also Pirellis in 19"s but I thought this post was about larger wheels.

#12 ·
mowblowgo said:
In my experience, upsizing from the manufacturer's choice of wheel size always involves performance and ride compromises. I'm sticking with the 19's. If it is good enough for the boys from the M division, it's good enough for me.

#13 ·
mhh said:
In my experience, upsizing from the manufacturer's choice of wheel size always involves performance and ride compromises. I'm sticking with the 19's. If it is good enough for the boys from the M division, it's good enough for me.
I think the more interesting discussion would be what 'R' compound or slicks you'd put on the M5 for a track day. I think the Pilot Sport Cups would be interesting...

#18 ·
sydl said:
Cool! What wheels options are there for 20"? Anything out there that looks nice and are easier to clean than the stock wheels?
I've got BBS RS-GT's on my 545, and they're available in the 20" size that will fit the M5. You can see them on my car on the 'view my car' site. One of the best things about them is if you get them with the diamond black centers, they never show any brake dust. They are also quite a bit lighter than stock, and look fantastic IMO. They are two piece forged wheels with BOTH the center and rim sections forged. Many forged two piece wheels only have the center section forged. The only downside is they are very expensive. Plan on spending close to $6,000 for a set of 20" wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.