BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone...............I need the expert help availiable on here.

I like these wheels and am going to get a set for my M5

I took this picture from a previous post and hope the owner is not offended.

I have found a supplier for rota wheels............

The Rota Grid Drift is an awesome edition to the drift range and is a truely stunning wheel

However here are the questions that I need answering.

I dont want to fit spacers if at all possible.

Starting with rears....

I know 18X10 will fit the rear of the car, and the previous post suggested 265/35/18 is very tight. I want to keep 275/35/18 or go wider, so what is the correct offset I need to order ?
I assume I have to go lower than standard, and so go for an offset of say ET20

Moving on to the fronts

If you look at that picture, the arch is totally filled out which I happen to like.
What size should I be ordering here ? Standard wheel is 18X8 ET20..........I want to fill the arch as per the picture, idealy without a spacer and quite happy to go wider. Therefore need advice as to what width wheel to have and more importantly what ET . Im thinking 18X9.5 ET 20 . No Idea if that would fit.Please assume standard suspension will remain in place.
If necessary I will fit a spacer and will need recomendations for that, as I have no previous experience with spacers, but have read many negative things about them .

All help much appreciated with this.

Regards

Nat.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
For the rear, I have 18x10 et25 with 3mm spacer and am running 295/35 tires with very occasional rubbing.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Ive done a bit mor digging.................recomendation from rota Uk was

18 X 10 on the rear ET 20
18 X 8.5 on the front ET 35

No stock................

Earliest is 8 weeks but no gtee they will come then either.

Well, thats as helpfull as a chocolate teapot.

FFS...............what is it about trying to buy stuff thats seemingly availiable yet it never is when you want it. And everyone moans about a recession. In the words of Mortimer Duke..............." switch those machines back on "................!

If anyone spots any for sale please let me know.

Regards

Nat.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
go 18x9.5 or 18x10 up front - plenty of folks here that aren't super slammed run 18x10 up front, with BIG tires.

I think staying 18x8.5 up front and widening the rear is only going to add to the understeer problems that already plauge the car.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Taking advice given . Have found 18 X 10 ET 20...................

Going 275/35/18 all round

Looking at delivery in 3 weeks time.

Going for Matt Bronze.................

Keep you posted.

Regards

Nat.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Hi,

Taking advice given . Have found 18 X 10 ET 20...................

Going 275/35/18 all round

Looking at delivery in 3 weeks time.

Going for Matt Bronze.................

Keep you posted.

Regards

Nat.
You're going to need a spacer up front with a 10" wheel and ET20. The "board standard" 9.5" rear wheel with 22mm offset and 3mm spacer gives an effective offset of 19mm, and up front with this setup and a typical 275/35 yields just barely enough clearance between the tire sidewall and the strut (either stock or Koni struts; other setups like PS9 have interference issues with their spring).

Your 10" wheel will be 0.25" further inboard, i.e. more backspacing by 1/4" or about 6.4mm, plus another mm (compared to the 9.5"/ET19), so you'll have an effective increase in backspacing of over 7mm.

I'm guessing you'll need to run about a 10mm spacer to make this setup happy and not have tire sidewall interference with the strut.

Chuck

Reactions: M5 London

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Nat, that's my car pictured and I'm quite happy with the 18x10 wheels all round. I'm using a 10mm spacer on the front and I think Stanton who just fitted these wheels is as well - that ties in pretty much exactly with what chuck has posted above. The good news about a 10mm spacer is that you can get one that is hub centric which supports the wheel correctly.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Nat, that's my car pictured and I'm quite happy with the 18x10 wheels all round. I'm using a 10mm spacer on the front and I think Stanton who just fitted these wheels is as well - that ties in pretty much exactly with what chuck has posted above. The good news about a 10mm spacer is that you can get one that is hub centric which supports the wheel correctly.
The type and height settings of the suspension will also play a role in what offsets will fit.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If I were to custom order wheels, I would get 18x9.5 ET 19 all around with 275/35 rubber. This would be the perfect square setup, no spacers needed.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
If I were to custom order wheels, I would get 18x9.5 ET 19 all around with 275/35 rubber. This would be the perfect square setup, no spacers needed.
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I prefer 18s at least as much for aesthetic reasons as for the cheaper tyres and slightly taller sidewall

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

Agreed!! I have a set of Fikses i'm rebuilding to be almost exactly those sizes!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
to the op - im a rota distributor through work, as such have a good relationship with them. before you order give me a call at work on 02380 558636, i can help with keeping you in the loop with lead times and probably do them to you cheaper then you can get them elsewhere - can supply hubcentric spacers also.

no worries if you have got yourself all sorted out, but i like to help if i can.

im running 10s all around 2.5 degs camber on the front, 10mm hubcentric on the front with 245 40 and a 5mm slip on the back with 255 35. here's the car on the rota blog :)

Rota Wheels blog » Blog Archive » Ryan Stewart’s E39 M5 on Grids

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
to the op - im a rota distributor through work, as such have a good relationship with them. before you order give me a call at work on 02380 558636, i can help with keeping you in the loop with lead times and probably do them to you cheaper then you can get them elsewhere - can supply hubcentric spacers also.

no worries if you have got yourself all sorted out, but i like to help if i can.

im running 10s all around 2.5 degs camber on the front, 10mm hubcentric on the front with 245 40 and a 5mm slip on the back with 255 35. here's the car on the rota blog :)

Rota Wheels blog » Blog Archive » Ryan Stewart’s E39 M5 on Grids
Car looks great Ryan! Why the narrow tires though? 275s all around would be a much better solution for ultimate grip (and especially turn-in and braking grip up front). The blog write-up made me laugh though. I'm into year 8 now with the M5, but when I first bought it, I also said to myself that it's perfect, and I'm not going to mod it (after decades of always modding my cars in one way or another). That lasted about 3 months until I ran into board member Redshift locally who was all hot over running 9.5/275 all around, so on went those along with a Dinan rear bar. Then I declared it was perfect, no more mods. Well, you know how that goes...

Chuck

·
Registered
65 Posts
i went with a narrow setup because after years and years of running vw's with 'fitment' its hard to shake that - my last golf was a 4x4 r32 turbo with 550bhp and 9.5" grids with 275 r888's all round with extensive chassis mods for optimum handling (adjustable camber toe out back, adjustable camber + castor on the front with koni adjustable coils, h&r bars etc etc) so im no stranger to setting a car up for grip...

just this time round i missed having something to pose with a little. it still handles great though, nicely balenced with the staggered tyre size, but as you would expect overall grip is reduced. i think this is helped by the suspension and better geo with the camber up front... but as with all these things you can never be sure! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the offer. I have done nothing more than leave a number and was going to get called when they next in stock which I was told was 3 weeks, but they not 100 % sure.

I want 18's .............I am told 10 X 18 ET 22 will fit on the back, no mods and will accomodate 275/35/18.

So that just leaves the fronts............Not quite sure what to do here.........

Dont want the wheel/tyre poking out the arch, so whats best ...............

18 X 8.5 ET 30.and go with std 245/40/18

Or 10 X 18 ET 20 and need a 10 mm spacer ?

Also will these need hud centric rings ?

Happy to give you the business and thanks for the kind offer.

Let me know what you think, and Im thinking Matt Bronze in colour.

Regards

Nat.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the offer. I have done nothing more than leave a number and was going to get called when they next in stock which I was told was 3 weeks, but they not 100 % sure.

I want 18's .............I am told 10 X 18 ET 22 will fit on the back, no mods and will accomodate 275/35/18.

So that just leaves the fronts............Not quite sure what to do here.........

Dont want the wheel/tyre poking out the arch, so whats best ...............

18 X 8.5 ET 30.and go with std 245/40/18

Or 10 X 18 ET 20 and need a 10 mm spacer ?

Also will these need hud centric rings ?

Happy to give you the business and thanks for the kind offer.

Let me know what you think, and Im thinking Matt Bronze in colour.

Regards

Nat.
18x10 with an ET of 10 on the front will poke out past the fender a bit. I run 18x10 ET 11.5 on the front, and that sticks out a bit, but does not rub on my stock suspension.

My advise, If you go 18x9.5 ET 19 all around with 275/35 rubber, you will not need spacers front or rear, the fronts will fit perfectly and will not poke out of the fender. The rears will also fit perfectly, and you will be able to rotate front to rear.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
My advise, If you go 18x9.5 ET 19 all around with 275/35 rubber, you will not need spacers front or rear, the fronts will fit perfectly and will not poke out of the fender. The rears will also fit perfectly, and you will be able to rotate front to rear.

this still assume stock strut or ground controls. any coilover suspension with a wider collar will still rub a 9.5 +19.

Reactions: Lunker325

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
this still assume stock strut or ground controls. any coilover suspension with a wider collar will still rub a 9.5 +19.

Thanks for clarifying Matt, the info I provided is assuming stock suspension.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts