BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now it'll be awhile before I get to it but wanting to get your guys opinion about replacement wheels.

Since a good set of original 65 wheels are hard to come by because of people hoarding up all the rears after being discontinued (thanks BMW). And the people who are selling them want lots of money for them anyways, even beat up rims. I'm thinking of going with style 37 m-pars. But in a square setup with the rears. They are still sold new. And at least the 37's will still be OEM and not those Chinese TSW's I have on the car now.

Again I do like those wheels, just not on the M5. Doesn't help they are in bad condition in a darker color and make the car look all beat up and run down when they get dirty. I did look into getting them refinished in a color similar to the factory shadow chrome finish to help brighten things up. But all the places I talked to, said I'd be cheaper to get all new wheels and tires because it'd be too much work to get them right.

I know 65's look best on the M5 and think 37's would give the cars looks a much needed boost. But figured I check in with you guys first. I find it funny how many think m-pars only look good on the '03 540i m-sport when yet exterior wise it looks the damn same minus the rear bumper, front bumper trim piece and side mirrors.

Current wheels
Screenshot_20200730-170109_Gallery.jpg

M-pars
unnamed.jpg

Now I still need to do suspension work. Going to keep it mostly stock with exception of the shocks. No way am I paying up the rear for new BMW units. Car has Koni sports with factory springs right now done by the previous owner. Old though and need to be replaced. But I like them and plan to do the same but probably upgrade to Dinan springs.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hey NfS021,

The Style 37 is an absolute beauty of an OEM wheel from BMW, much better looking than those fussy looking style 65s and in much stronger forged construction. It's a very popular wheel and lots of sets around and you can also mix the wider E38 rear Style 37's as well, plenty of threads about that along with the technical info and you'll have to factor in having the centre bore enlarged to 74.1mm.

I'd suggest going for other high quality wheels, either Tuner Brand or aftermarket so that your car will look different from the herd of other E39's out there !

Sell off the current wheels to recoup some cash back :)

Plenty of fantastic looking wheels on the big picture thread of wheels on an E39 M5 on this section - BMW M5 E39 aftermarket wheels...

If you do go with Style 37's, have the outer lips bare metal polished as it adds a stunning effect to the wheels due to that very high quality forged aluminium - they come up looking awesome!

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Granted I think they only come in 17" flavor, the style 66 wheels are my second favorite after the style 65s. Loved them on my 540i and still have one as a spare for the M5 I throw in the trunk for trips. Fits all 4 corners, dirt cheap compared to 65s, and really look great on E39s. I know going smaller could be hard to stomach, but probably what I'd do in your situation. Parallels always looked just to 'flat' for my taste. Shrug

·
Registered
20 Posts
I say go for it! I think Style 37s look awesome on all E39s and if anyone mistakes you for a 540, one squeeze of the gas will set them straight :cool:

·
Registered
923 Posts
This guy Dennis cooper talking about all the “herds” of e39s out there, lol where? It’s extremely rare I see another one driving around and I live in a decently populated area of the north east!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Granted I think they only come in 17" flavor, the style 66 wheels are my second favorite after the style 65s. Loved them on my 540i and still have one as a spare for the M5 I throw in the trunk for trips. Fits all 4 corners, dirt cheap compared to 65s, and really look great on E39s. I know going smaller could be hard to stomach, but probably what I'd do in your situation. Parallels always looked just to 'flat' for my taste. Shrug
My old 540i had them as well and did like them. I may get a set for winter use.
This guy Dennis cooper talking about all the “herds” of e39s out there, lol where? It’s extremely rare I see another one driving around and I live in a decently populated area of the north east!

I live in the Pacific Northwest and even here I see more Lamborghini's and McLarens in a year than I do other E39 M5's or even 540i's. Might spot a 528i or 525i once in a great while lol.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This also could be a nice opportunity to do a square set up as well.

·
Registered
937 Posts

The decently populated NE of ?.... Smallville ?!! ;)

I know what you mean though, the E39 has become a 'little' more rare to see in many sizable cities and towns all over the globe. That said, zip over here to London UK, I live right by Heathrow and you can jump into my E39 and within a few minutes you'll see plenty of the herd's I'm talking about ! .. my own E39 won't be one of them thankfully !

My old 540i had them as well and did like them. I may get a set for winter use.I live in the Pacific Northwest and even here I see more Lamborghini's and McLarens in a year than I do other E39 M5's or even 540i's. Might spot a 528i or 525i once in a great while lol.
The McLaren factory/HQ - Paragon, is perhaps 30 minutes of a leisurely drive from me, let me know when you can (eventually!!) zip over here too and I'll take you there !

If Style 37's are on the cards, get the Augment Wheel Company to make a custom set of very close to oem Style 37 looking wheels .. in 3 piece forged... even I'd run those to be different from the 'herd' !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The decently populated NE of ?.... Smallville ?!! ;)

I know what you mean though, the E39 has become a 'little' more rare to see in many sizable cities and towns all over the globe. That said, zip over here to London UK, I live right by Heathrow and you can jump into my E39 and within a few minutes you'll see plenty of the herd's I'm talking about ! .. my own E39 won't be one of them thankfully !

The McLaren factory/HQ - Paragon, is perhaps 30 minutes of a leisurely drive from me, let me know when you can (eventually!!) zip over here too and I'll take you there !

If Style 37's are on the cards, get the Augment Wheel Company to make a custom set of very close to oem Style 37 looking wheels .. in 3 piece forged... even I'd run those to be different from the 'herd' !

Cheers, Dennis!
I'd get arrested trying to steal a McLaren F1 if I went to their headquarters lolol. That is my ultimate dream car.

Thinking while doing the suspension. Should I upgrade the front sway bar for the bigger wheel square setup on the front, or would the M5's factory one be ok? I don't track my car, but do once in awhile take it for a nice blast on the twisty backroads.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I hope to pick up a set of square M-Pars at some point in the next couple years. M65 is best but I'd like a second set of wheels and IMO those are next in line. I like a few aftermarket offerings, but I think the 37s will win in the end.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My opinion, but if I were to blow some $$ on new wheels for a E39 M5, I'd get style 65, even if they needed refinishing.

Reactions: austrianvespaguy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Should I upgrade the front sway bar for the bigger wheel square setup on the front
So on the topic of roll bars, this actually has less to do with the square wheel setup and more to do with how you drive/want to drive it in the corners. All things being equally, yes a stiffer front roll bar will 'compensate' for the larger contact patch by lowering the front axle traction, increasing the rear traction, and making turn in feel 'snappier' as it's easier to load up that outboard steering tire. So if you think the turn in and balance are 'perfect' stock, then this might be worth doing in order to maintain that when going to a square wheel setup. That said, this is all really geared toward cornering at the limit of traction. If you're keeping it on the street, I think the difference in feel of the square setup by itself will FAR eclipse any change you make to the stabilizer bars, to the point that (on the street), it'd probably be negligible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts