BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of swapping from my M5 E39 original wheels to the ATS Motorsport wheel in the same sizes.

The weight of the 18" 9,5 ATS wheel is 10,7kg. Is this light?

I am pretty sure the E39 M5 wheel weighs 1 or 2 kg more. Which to me is reason enough to swap. I wont run Bridgestone next time either as these are one of the heaviest tires around, one of the lightest being PS2, which I think will be my choice of rubber on the ATS wheel.

I know this has been discussed many times i.e. unsprung weight etc. And I think the E39 M5 wheels look great, but I am not really too fussed about looks (well to a certain extent I am) but I am prioritising function in this case.

Anyone had experience of ATS wheels? They seem to have a good pedigree.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Does it have to be 18"? If not then the Throwing Star 17" wheels are quite light - otherwise go for a lightweight 18" Compomotive, BBS or OZ Racing competition wheel.

www.tirerack.com has a good list of wheel weights

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmm-Five said:
Does it have to be 18"? If not then the Throwing Star 17" wheels are quite light - otherwise go for a lightweight 18" Compomotive, BBS or OZ Racing competition wheel.

www.tirerack.com has a good list of wheel weights
---------------

I just think the 18" wheel fills the wheel housing really nicely.

I will have a look at the BBS, but the reason my attention turned to the ATS was someone is selling them for 500gbp for all 4 wheels. And I think they look quite nice. I will have a look at Tirerack anyway....

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
An 18" wheel tends to create more rotating mass than a 17" wheel even if the total weight is the same because more of the weight is at the edge of the wheel.

I've got standard 18" M-Parallels for the road, and now use 17" Throwing Stars for the track as they are lighter and the tyres are cheaper for trackdays.

You see plenty of wheel/tyre packages on ebay for less than £500 - some original BMW ones as well.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fronts = 24.20 lbs
Rears = 25.18 lbs

Are the M5 E39 wheels weights.

BBS RGR's

Fronts = 19.4 lbs
Rears = 21.2 lbs

a saving of 4lbs per wheel, and when I put on the PS2 rubber, it should be even more. This is going to be an expensive post!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Jahangeer, just get the Ikea truck to drop them off on his return trip! I have not had a look at the model of BBS mentioned but, IMO the M3 CSL (BBS I think) wheel's look sh*t hot.

Cheers,
Phil.

p.s. a friend of mine has a set (4) Genuine Hartge 8.5x17's nearly new i.e. done 500 miles, for sale - I think he was looking for £600 ish.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dalius said:
what about m3 csl 19inch wheels?
---------------

yep they are light also - and Turner motorsport have a special offer on them at the moment. well I have put mine up for sale in Sweden. see what happens - i'm not in any rush.

Beej - RK's only come in 8,5 max, and I want the wider rears also.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have finally found a wheel lighter thean the BBS and as good quality - the SSR GT2-H from tire rack.

Rear 18 inch 10's weigh in at 10kg or 19,8lbs each. So the front will be even lighter.

Thats a hell of a saving in unsprung weight. I need to sell my E39 wheels first, shouldnt be a problem though.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Disp...R&wheelModel=GT2-H&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted

not as pretty as the E39 M5 wheel, but not too far off, function over form though.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Jahangeer said:
Well I have finally found a wheel lighter thean the BBS and as good quality - the SSR GT2-H from tire rack.

Rear 18 inch 10's weigh in at 10kg or 19,8lbs each. So the front will be even lighter.

Thats a hell of a saving in unsprung weight. I need to sell my E39 wheels first, shouldnt be a problem though.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=SSR&wheelModel=GT2-H&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted

not as pretty as the E39 M5 wheel, but not too far off, function over form though.
and you could have got them in gold!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
illjah said:
and you could have got them in gold!!!!!!!
--------------------

yep - I wonder what kind of looks I would get. BLing bling!! I quite like white - but since I dont have a Scooby, Mitsy or Cossie.....

Silver is on order.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys - look at the SSR logo!! Does it remind you of anything?!?!??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts