BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any problems fitting 10mm spacers on our cars? I see most people go for 12mm or 15mm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have 12mm in front and 5mm in the back. The 12mm spacers i purchased have a hub-centric ring.

i believe the 10mm are not thick enough to provide a hub-ring...

·
Registered
156 Posts
What is the purpose for spacers on our cars?

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,521 Posts
Asthetics...when on stock 166 wheels. I had 12mm when I was stock.

Now I'm 15mm up front to clear my coilovers and BBK.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
12mm front 10mm rear on H&R's with stock rims. Since going PSS tires the rears rub on large dips. Never rubbed on any other tire.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Im trying to find that out as well. So far apart from wheel offset (which I doubt is even noticeable) my main conclusion is: A cooler look (ofcourse subjective to taste).
I removed my rear ones because mine rubbed against the fender when going over bumps, I saw horrible pics about fenders gone bad (paint starting to chip and major cracks on the back of the car!), and rear tires wearing out a lot faster.

I still have my front spacers on (previous owner installed spacers) but after doing some research I have found out the following:
Front spacers can be very dangerous! Not only do your front spacers have to keep up with lots of force from the car's weight, it also has to deal with force when your wheels are turning and your car is accelerating.
I have found horrible stories about all kinds of car's suddenly losing a front wheel and end up crashing because of breaking bolts/spacers gone bad.

Ofcourse someone would say, if you install them properly it wont happen. One common mistake people make is not to use longer bolts after they put the spacers on.
To me it's just another risk of relying on another part that has to keep my M5 alive. Im going to remove the front ones asap.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Im trying to find that out as well. So far apart from wheel offset (which I doubt is even noticeable) my main conclusion is: A cooler look (ofcourse subjective to taste).
I removed my rear ones because mine rubbed against the fender when going over bumps, I saw horrible pics about fenders gone bad (paint starting to chip and major cracks on the back of the car!), and rear tires wearing out a lot faster.

I still have my front spacers on (previous owner installed spacers) but after doing some research I have found out the following:
Front spacers can be very dangerous! Not only do your front spacers have to keep up with lots of force from the car's weight, it also has to deal with force when you're wheels are turning and your car is accelerating.
I have found horrible stories about all kinds of car's suddenly losing a front wheel and end up crashing because of breaking bolts/spacers gone bad.

Ofcourse someone would say, if you install them properly it wont happen. One common mistake people make is not to use longer bolts after they put the spacers on.
To me it's just another risk of relying on another part that has to keep my M5 alive. Im going to remove the front ones asap.
It is just for looks mostly unless you get wheels that aren't made to the car's proper offsets. The quality made to order wheels like HRE for example are made to the proper offsets thus not requiring any spacers. I personally don't like the idea of spacers either.

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
+ 1

10mm will not work for our cars. I have 15mm front and 12mm rear.

Hasan, not accurate. I'm running 10's in the front. No issue.

But as others pointed out there are problems with some. I'm using Macht Schnell FWIW. Realize two bumping to 12's removes the doubt and is negligible on clearance.

I had an issue after making changes and thought that'd be the difference. Chased it down to suspension rather than my spacers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I should probably talk to Trinity about spacers for my M5

I have wheels which are clearly not the right offset for the car and not really made for an aftermarket spacers. I have 15mm all around right now, its perfect in the rear but the front could probably use 20 mm.

From what I've been told the outer and inner hubs are different so you need a really specific spacer. I think I need to find something thats 74.1 outer to 74.1 inner so that I don't need a ring. I'm getting vibration over 110km per hour :(

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I had 12mm up front and 15mm out in the back when I was running the OEM 166's.

This car definitely needs spacers and a drop otherwise it looks funny IMO.

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
Some of you guys are way over thinking this :) Just get quality stuff, don't cheap out. And pay attention to what your wheel offsets are and what you're adding so you don't have rubbing that will be problematic. The occasional rub on a deep dip isn't a problem. As I noted, I'm running 10mm Macht Schnell's without an issue no my front. My rears don't need a spacer b/c my offset/wheel width combination is ideal for the car (opinion of course). But on my OEM wheels that I use in the winter, 10mm/12mm is ideal all the way around.

I used Trinity for my 12mm setup before I changed over. And yes, as someone else pointed out, pay attention to bolt length. Or do yourself and your tire shop a favor and switch out to studs.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,521 Posts
A bolt that is too long is just as bad as a bolt that too short. I use multiple lengths of bolts for swapping between my three sets of wheels: OEM, track, and street.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I should just do a stud conversion and call it a day.

Personally, I would never run a spacer greater than 15mm.

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
A bolt that is too long is just as bad as a bolt that too short. I use multiple lengths of bolts for swapping between my three sets of wheels: OEM, track, and street.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I should just do a stud conversion and call it a day.

Personally, I would never run a spacer greater than 15mm.
You've not switched to studs?? I just swapped summers and winters yesterday... man I'm glad I have studs :)

I agree... large spacers give me the heebies.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Or you can just get custom wheels with proper offsets made and no need for spacers!! lol.

Reactions: TheGreatOne
1 - 20 of 23 Posts