BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I am wondering if putting some wheel spacers on a stock suspension M5 with stock wheels to make it look better is a good or bad idea...and if so, what size should I look for? Also, would it have any impact on the ride in a stock suspension setup? A serious BMW dude I know told me to only space the front wheels...another BMW dude said to do spacers all around IF you wanted to even do it. Any thoughts?

Z

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
From what I have seen over the years, and it is only my opinion; I feel that spacers should only be used on stock suspension of you run rear wheel and tire sizes on the front of the car. I believe it is not only needed, but gives a good track for handling and looks to a certain extent.

Spacing stock size wheel and tires may make it look a bit 4x4'ish, which I personally think looks better if left alone.

If you did end up spacing the stock sized front setup, and depending on how large a spacer you use, I would add small spacers to the rear to even things out so they dont look sucked in if the front is pushed out to the fender. So basically, match the rear fender spacing to the front if you go that route.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks for the reply...I guess unless you are looking for a squared up look it may make no sense to have spacers. Just interested on what spacers would look like on a stock suspension. Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I run 10 mm spacers on all 4 corners with stock wheels and suspension - although I have camber plates up front with an extra degree of negative camber dialed in. It retains the staggered look, but with a wider stance that properly fills out the wheel wells especially in the rear. I have had no rubbing or other issues with this setup. Even my wife likes the look.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Even my wife likes the look.
Very impressive. My wife has no comment as to what happens in the garage. I have either 10 or 12mm spacers on the front with the stock front wheels. I can't remember which I ended up with. I get a little full lock rubbing in parking lots.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses, I was curious if you had any pics of that set up?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thank you for the responses, I was curious if you had any pics of that set up?
I knew that question was coming. I just went out and took some crappy cellphone pix for you. You can hardly even tell in these pictures but it makes a noticeable difference, especially in the back.

Edit: I just realized how tiny the wheels look in those first two pictures. The tires are kind of dirty and are just disappearing into the wheel well. The last one gives a good idea of the overall look though.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Real aggresive/mean look, got mine from ECS Tuning, used 12mm Rear, 18mm Front, pics found here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...195342-what-did-you-do-your-m5-today-549.html
Everything stock. Go t o ecs tuning website or youtube, plenty of videos that show you how to measure to get the rise spacers, every car is different.
Make sure you select spacers with center hub for your wheel to rest on.
Good luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to you guys for your reply and the pics. Looks cool the way it sits. Really appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts