BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i see what wheels you guys get ? please post some pictures .

I dont' know what size to go for as well but thinking 20 or 21''

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Can i see what wheels you guys get ? please post some pictures .

I dont' know what size to go for as well but thinking 20 or 21''
It's your car and you can do what you want, but most will agree than 21" are not a good wheel size for the M5.

It's a performance vehicle and 21" rims will surely degrade performance, and they really don't look that good. If you want a bump in size from the stock 19's then go to 20's - they'll fit nicer than you think.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Get 20 inch HRE P40 wheels....they look fantastic! Do a search here for HRE P40s and you should find plenty of pics :byebye:

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's your car and you can do what you want, but most will agree than 21" are not a good wheel size for the M5.

It's a performance vehicle and 21" rims will surely degrade performance, and they really don't look that good. If you want a bump in size from the stock 19's then go to 20's - they'll fit nicer than you think.

I know it's personal preference but just want to see what's out there . :cheers:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
20"/21" Hartge Classic II's , 20" BBS Lemans, 20"/21" Radenergie R10's these are just some of my favourite rims out there for the e60 M5!

Reactions: DooRow_88

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can this offset fit our car ?

Front: 9 x 20" offset 40 with 255 / 35 ZR20
Rare: 10 x 20" offset 40 with 285 / 30 ZR20

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Why do many German Tuners use 21" wheels on their cars then? like Hamann, Hartge, Radenergie, etc.
From my experience (keep in mind I have Falken fk452s, not michelins) 21s arent that much different than 20s unless you have thicker rubber on them (which many do not run). In terms of looks, that's strictly opinion, 21" is my favorite, 22" on the other hand is hideous.
Unless you have no experience in feathering the throttle for ideal traction 21's are still fine for "performance", unless doing a track day where handling is everything.
Here's a pic of mine on 21s

And another member Streetking with his HRE 21s

Either way, 20 or 21 both look amazing as long as you get a great style

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I'd have to disagree. Once your sidewal is as thin as it needs to be to have a proper sized tire on a 21 inch rim, there's definitely a loss in performance that can be felt even off the track, especially if you are stepping up from 19 inch rims.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Have you driven an M5 with 21's?

I'd have to disagree. Once your sidewal is as thin as it needs to be to have a proper sized tire on a 21 inch rim, there's definitely a loss in performance that can be felt even off the track, especially if you are stepping up from 19 inch rims.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Have you driven an M5 with 21's?
No, I have never driven any M car except a stock M5 (ours) and a stock E90 M3 DCT.

Not to sound presumptuous, but I really don't need to either...

Considering the same brand/model of tire and rim, a 21 inch setup will always weigh more than a 19 or 20 inch setup. Not just that, but it's furthered amplified by the placement of the weight, resulting in an even larger increase in rotational inertia, because the barrel of the rim is located further from the axis of rotation (as well as the barrel of them rim being larger as it now needs to have a diameter of 21 inches rather than 19 - not going into specifics that the barrel centers are usually slightly smaller than the rim's rated size). This is not just pulled out of thin air either. I can prove this on paper in about 5 minutes with a few engineering equations (I'm an Mechanical Engineering student with a Physics minor).

Simply, more rotational inertial means the tire will be harder to accelerate, decelerate, and change direction (turn).

Add on my aforementioned point about the stiffer sidewall, and it all adds up. About the only advantage a really stiff sidewall may give is really good initial steering response, but it won't offset the loss in overall traction given by having a slightly larger sidewall that allows for tires to conform the the ground a bit more.

There's a reason why most race teams run 18 or 19 inch rims.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you at all about the advantages of smaller wheels, I would have more sidewall if I could but then again the majority of M5 owners don't track their cars consistently.
My 21's are 26lbs in the rear and 23lbs in the front.
Most "street races" are from rolling starts anyways (freeway, in the street) so the sidewall wouldn't be an issue anyways (unless you're putting more than 480whp on tires with a high treadwear.
Many people on the board run 30 and 25 setups on their 20s (what I'm running on my 21s).

It's all about aesthetics without being grossly heavy if you don't intend to race your car... But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you at all about the advantages of smaller wheels, I would have more sidewall if I could but then again the majority of M5 owners don't track their cars consistently.
My 21's are 26lbs in the rear and 23lbs in the front.
Most "street races" are from rolling starts anyways (freeway, in the street) so the sidewall wouldn't be an issue anyways (unless you're putting more than 480whp on tires with a high treadwear.
Many people on the board run 30 and 25 setups on their 20s (what I'm running on my 21s).

It's all about aesthetics without being grossly heavy if you don't intend to race your car... But that's just my opinion.
Generalizing 30 series and 25 series into categories of sidewall size is not really representative. A very wide 30 or 35 series tire can have a larger sidewall than a narrow 40 or 45 series sidewall. The 35 series sidewall tire on the rear of our M5 has a larger sidewall than my 40 series front tire on my G35.

I did mention in my very first post in this thread that it's all up to the owner of the car to decide, but if someone is buying an M5, I'm assuming they care about performance (and when I say performance I don't just mean a drag race - I mean handling and braking too), and the simple fact is that you lose some of that with 21 inch rims, and I figured I'd warn the OP.

I don't race on the street so I didn't really think of the whole street race stuff I was thinking more along the lines of a mountain/canyon road or something.

Reactions: KILLZBUGZ

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Sorry to jump in here, I have had 21's, 20's and stock M6 and M5 19s and the best I liked performance wise was the M6 wheels. but overall the 20" is perfect. I am sure the M6 wheels helped more as M6 wheels had the PS2s and stock M5s had contis. I am now running 20" HRE and couldnt be happier. Just to note, forget about taking off from a dig with 21's, just not gonna compare to stock 19's. If one wants the look of a 21" wheel then go for a monoblock 20" which gives the full window of the wheel which gives the appearance of a larger wheel than a lipped wheel. I personally like lipped wheels on a M5 I think they give the car a more aggressive look. GL

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to jump in here, I have had 21's, 20's and stock M6 and M5 19s and the best I liked performance wise was the M6 wheels. but overall the 20" is perfect. I am sure the M6 wheels helped more as M6 wheels had the PS2s and stock M5s had contis. I am now running 20" HRE and couldnt be happier. Just to note, forget about taking off from a dig with 21's, just not gonna compare to stock 19's. If one wants the look of a 21" wheel then go for a monoblock 20" which gives the full window of the wheel which gives the appearance of a larger wheel than a lipped wheel. I personally like lipped wheels on a M5 I think they give the car a more aggressive look. GL

Any pics of your ride with the wheel ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts