BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I have been visiting this great forum for seven months now, but this is my first post. i brought a 99 e39 m5 from a bm dealer last july and i knew then that the outer rims had been touched up. unfortunately, the rims now look awful with hand car washes having taken there toll (never again) and the mrs (kerbing). The dealer has kindly offered to get the rims done again, but i have talked to lots of mobile techs who say the paint will eventually rub off again.

I have thus found this place called lepsons in gillingham who will refurbish the wheels incl an oven bake for 70+VAT per wheel on a one day turnaround (55 if you give them the wheels for three days).

Has anyone any experience of lepsons?
The guy has asked me how heavy i want the silver layer sprayed - to make the wheels look light, dark or even both. what would u recommend? the car is silverstone blue with sun proctetion glass at the back.

the car is booked for the 8 march, i will post before and after pics if anyone else needs their wheels done.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm in the a similar situation, where the previous owner had tangled with the curb too many times.

I'm not sure how good a job they will do in only one day. I would guess you'd back in the same situation in 12 months. A cheap solution maybe to go for replicas....to be honest, there's been lots of discussions about alloys on eBay, and how to tell if they are replica's or not. Bottom line is it's pretty hard to tell without taking the wheel off and looking for a part stamp ( I'm waiting for someone to correct me here! )

OEM wheels from a dealer are £1800....I'd be so p**sed if I curbed them. I still can't make up my mind.......

The other choice may be to get your dealer to repair them again and then get an aftermarket set. Keep the original alloys for when you sell your beast ( if returning to a dealer some can be funny with anything not completely original )

Good luck

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ashok, but i tried wicked wheels and the chap covering my area said he could not do a m5 alloy properly - at least he was honest. the chap who does styner's in london's wheels also said he wouldn't advise a mobile repair - it's the three layer process thats the problem. i'll post pics of the job lepsons do - i probably could live with the wheels, they really are not that bad, but, to me thay are awful - and lepsons have said they will warranty the finish for one year.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Got my wheels done today, and boy have lepsons IMHO done a great job.. dropped the car off at 0730, went back at 1730… wasn’t quite ready.. wheels had to be rebalanced etc, so I got a chance to look around and take some pics… will post as many as can but kinda busy at this moment… here is one of the beast with the wheels back on… car itself is actually quite dirty, hence no meguiar’s mirror finish!!!

For the money I paid I think I got a great deal… and they come with a one year warranty.. chap who did it said he did a four coat process- primer, black, dry powder silver and clearcoat before two runs on the ovens!!!! Hope I can make it to the 14<SUP>th</SUP> UK meet, then some of you can see the finish for real… just wish I’d got it done six months ago..

and to top the day off, got to toy with a scubi wrx on the way home.. by the way, have you all heard of the type c scubi... 0-60 in 4.3!! got get a test drive

p.s. got pics of other wheels they’d done incl Porsche units and the e46 M3s!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Cool, that looks like a good job there..
Where are Lepsons based?

Spec C scooby is very very quick, new uprated turbo is one of the latest subaru have been developing.. enojoy the test drive, and make sure you listen out for the rattles :1:

Was your car at Birds in the last couple of weeks? think I may have seen it there?? Would be cool to meetup on Sunday 14th... hope to have the biggest M5 turnout ever!

Cheers

Tin :byebye:

·
Registered
287 Posts
They look great.......please post the details for Lepsons.
Hope you can make Sunday :cheers:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi all,

thanks for all the comments, they looked good this am too, pity i had to keep on walking past to work!! should've done a sicki... i'll post more pics tonight...

lepsons website is www.lepsons.com .. don't be put off it's low tech... they're contact details are:

telephone: 01634 580582
fax: 01634 580583
email:
[email protected]

Unit 13, Railway Street Business Park
Railway Street, Gillingham

Kent ME7 1YQ

they charge 70+vat per wheel for a same day service, as i had done, and 55+vat per wheel if you get them the wheels and on a three day turnaround (balanced and valved)...and like i said you get a 1 yr warranty on the finish. this is not a bad price given mobile repair quotes for the outer rim only were 50-70£. I got all four wheels done for a similar finish.:1:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Excellent that is a really good job, and with a 1yr gurrantee.. cool...

Don't forget about the South Mimms meet this sunday 11.30am! :M5thumbs:
Check BM3W Forum - Meets section

Cheers

Tin

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm impressed. I've been trying decided between new stock replacements and aftermarket. Seeing the good job you've received, I think I've made my mind up ( oh yeah...the price difference makes it real easy to decide! )

Thanks mohan!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm glad my good fortune will be of benefit to others too.. actually got lucky finding this place.. was going to book my car into munich legends, but they sent the wheels away so i would have to leave the car there, popped into bexley motor works by my house who recommended lepsons, they also said spi and polish of tunbridge wells were dropping their standards...

more pics i took, got a close up of the m3 alloy if anyone's interested..

p.s. re sunday, family function may happen, hope not!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
well done, is there anyone who nows an adress in the Netherlands for wheel refurbishment.
Have cleaned the wheels of my m5 with hot water, high pressure and blew of the coating. :crying:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with this place doing a one day turnaround, why not come to the uk for a holiday, driving the beast on route, and get your wheels done too!!!!!!!!

i will never use a hand acr wash again, and i doubt i will use a jet wash either.. certainly no spray on product.. the guy at lepsons told me to treat it like the cars body work.. same products and some hard graft.. kinda makes sense since the top layers a clearcoat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts