BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got round to refurbishing my wheels.....started off by rotating with the spare but that involved too much running around so the car spent a few days on stands while I got the rears done.

Decided to have them powder coated and I must say I'm very impressed. The wheels are dipped to remove most of the old paint, beed blasted, sprayed with powder then baked at 200 degrees. The finish is called 'silver sparkle' and if you look closely there's a 'fleck' effect under the laquer. It works best in bright sunlight. Cost £47/wheel.

I'd say the finish wasn't as gloss or maybe even as silver as paint but it's much more durable; its extremely difficult to damage.......

I will post a picture to demonstrate but the wheels need cleaning again!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've made enquiries with Lepsons about getting mine refurbed. They charge £45+ VAT per wheel. polishing costs no extra though. Currently undecided whether to have them refurbed as standard, have the dished lips polished or the whole things polished... any suggestions? I'm erring towards having them standard silver with the dish polished and lacquered.

17" Throwing Stars BTW.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me it would be a trade off between what looks good and what last well given our (mine anyway!) climate. Polishing and laquering just wouldn't take the road salt winter abuse we get here.

The previous owner passed on a reciept for refurbishing the wheels (18"). Rimtek did them a few years back.

I also think its important to do the whole wheel. There's nothing more annoying than a leaking rim bead!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
ste:

I just had my M Parallel wheels professionally refinished in the standard silver about 6 months ago. They look nice but I'm disappointed by the fact that I already have some stone chips.

I previously had throwing stars that had the centers painted and the lips polished with no coating. I liked that combination. They required a little work to keep looking nice but best of all paint chips where never an issue. And a scatch of nick could be polished out.

I'd like to have the lips on my M Parallels polished this same way and wonder if anyone has done them that way?

Regards, John Z.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
johzev said:
ste:

I just had my M Parallel wheels professionally refinished in the standard silver about 6 months ago. They look nice but I'm disappointed by the fact that I already have some stone chips.
Regards, John Z.
-
Hi John Z. = any idea what colour code they used for the 'standard silver'
when they professionally refínished your M-Parallels ?? as this is a very 'looked
for' information, can you help or obtain the info from the work-shop ?? :confused:
brgds
Karl

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well this is my second set and I have gone for hand polish as opposed to diamond cut and laquer, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
jimmy01 said:
Well this is my second set and I have gone for hand polish as opposed to diamond cut and laquer, what do you think?

The wheels are superb! How come they didn't roll off your boot?

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow, those look Great!lovelove Something about the look of the polished lip and throwing star covers. I assume you did just repaint the covers factory?

What tires will be complimenting your New wheels?

My MParallels should be coming back any day now and I can't wait to see them. They are just being repainted to factory.

Greg

·
Registered
659 Posts
These are for my e28 M5, I ran them on my old M535i and I got so many compliments I thought I would get another set done the same, I run them without centers tho am going to have a go at polishing one as I have 6 to mess about with, I did have them on my e34 M5 also but had the star covers on and they did look very nice against the silver stars, heres a couple of shots of the M5 with the covers on, these were diamond cut and for me the shine is a laquer shina as opposed to a polished shine (if you know what I mean!!)
and Ralph, as Mmm-five said, I used the e28 boot spoiler to stop the wheel from bouncing!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've just realised, I think you're the guy who was selling the red e28 M535i I enquired about earlier in the year?

I definately like the 'polished' rim with the silver cover. I agree the actual polished one looks better than the diamond cut one where the shine comes from the lacquer.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ste,
yes I was selling a red M535i but you probably spoke to Andy (D4) as it was at his house in Leicester.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
ECM4 said:
Finally got those photos......clean wheels and sunshine proved very difficult to arrange!!
Just a question. I notice your brake calipers have ///M on them. Is this standard for your year?

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
659 Posts
They look like tha last floating fronts, must be a late car or an upgrade :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I think my build date was July 1994 - must be one of the first 'big brake' models!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts