BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 17" turbine wheels and the 17" throwing star wheels identical underneath ie identical except for the cover pieces?

I am looking for a spare set of wheels (8" front 9" rear) (I have throwing stars on mine) and have seen a set of turbines, but i dont want to drive 200 miles to find they are different.

martin

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And as a follow up question - any idea how I determine if the wheels are genuine BMW parts of some sort rather than fakes?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
martinhp said:
And as a follow up question - any idea how I determine if the wheels are genuine BMW parts of some sort rather than fakes?
And I quote "

What are the factory wheel and tire sizes for the E34 M5?
There are two factory 17-inch wheels for the E34 M5, M System I and M System II. Both are a two-piece wheel with a forged five-spoke center and a cast rim covered by an outer cover. The only difference is the design of the outer cover, "turbine" for the M System I and "throwing star" for the M System II. This outer cover is interchangeable between the two M System wheels, making updating form the earlier style to the later style an easy (and therefore common) procedure.

The 3.6-liter M5 is equipped with 235/45ZR17 tires on 8x17-inch M System I wheels. However, for the 1993 model year, North American-spec M5s use the M System II design in the same size. In addition, wider 255/40ZR17 rear tires on 9x17-inch M System I wheels were available as an option in some markets (not North America).

All 3.8-liter M5 sedans built before May, 1994 are equipped with 235/45ZR17 tires on 8x17-inch M System II wheels. Sedans equipped with the optional Nurburgring Package and all Tourings use wider 255/40ZR17 rear tires on 9x17-inch M System II wheels."

·
Registered
200 Posts
FYI it isn't as straight forward as you might think, i bought a set of "turbine" wheels and a new set of "throwing star" covers and centre caps. The covers fitted perfectly but there is no lip on the wheels for the centre caps to clip in :sad3: I ended up removing the plastic tabs from the centre caps and had to superglue them in to place !.

·
Registered
200 Posts
martinhp said:
If the covers are bolted to the wheel then they are genuine :) And the "throwing star" part of all the fakes i have seen all go in the same direction so the wheels on one side of the car are going in the wrong direction !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts