BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving back from lunch the other day and from a rolling 10 mph or so ran the beast up through first to second (about 55 mph at WOT). The good news is that it runs like a scalded dog even with 125k on the ticker. The bad news is that there was a moderate vibration coming from the rear driver's side halfshaft/wheel area.

I checked it out when I got back to the shop and found that the rear sway bar bushing bracket was craked and broken. The sway bar was still attached on the passenger side so I assumed that this must be the source of the vibration. I custom made a set of new brackets using steel and installed them on both sides the next day. The problem is that the vibration is STILL there and tonight coming home when I gave it gas in 2nd gear the vibration went from moderate to what I would call harsh. It also seemed to come from the passenger side for the first time. I have checked my brackets and looked over the rear end... I am at a loss! When the vibration first started it almost felt like wheel hop, but the harsher vibrations definately feel like something much more serious.

I would love any feedback that you guys feel like posting. If anyone needs any further background on the car let me know. Thanks so much!

Eric

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Leatherman,
When under the rear next time look over the dif mounts and thier mounting points.
I had a E28 rip the dif mount out of the body. I would have thought I'd rip a driveshaft or halfshaft up first.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a look under the rear end again today and everything looks to be in order. I also took it on a long test drive to try and pin point the types of situations/conditions in which the vibration/shaking occurs. I also let a mechanic friend of mine drive it for a while and here is what we found:

1. We could duplicate the harsh vibration/shaking in the rear end very easily. We also noticed that we could feel the vibration in the center armrest area as well.

2. The vibration only happens when A LOT of torque is applied to the drivetrain and it seemed to be getting slightly worse as we drove. We thought this was in our heads until...

3. After running the car up through 1st and into second at WOT my friend found it impossible to shift into 3rd gear. In fact, we found the stick to be stuck in 2nd. We drove the car home in second and while sitting in the road in front of my house we turned the motor off. My friend was then able to yank the car out of second and put it into neutral.

4. In neutral there seemed to be lots of clanking/scratching sounds. He was then able to force the car into 3rd gear while the motor was still off. He pushed in the clutch and drove the car around the block in third so as to setup to drive the car into the driveway.

5. My car is now sitting in 3rd gear in the driveway and we can't get it out of that gear.

It looks like I will be in the 626 beater for this next week. I know now that apart of the problem must be directly related to the tranny, but why would that cause such a noticeable vibration in my rear end? Are these two seperate problems that are somewhat related or are all my problems tied up with the tranny.

I guess it is new tranny time, but I would still appreciate any and all feedback that you guys may have.

Eric

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
That sounds like my old issue, under throttle it would make a big vibration.
If you tranny is jammed I would look at the mount for it.
It could be sitting down not letting the shifter pull back out of third.
The vibration could be a driveshaft donut rubbing,broken or just plan not in the right angle.

No more fire burnouts for you.:nono:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
LeatherMan said:
I took a look under the rear end again today and everything looks to be in order. I also took it on a long test drive to try and pin point the types of situations/conditions in which the vibration/shaking occurs. I also let a mechanic friend of mine drive it for a while and here is what we found:

1. We could duplicate the harsh vibration/shaking in the rear end very easily. We also noticed that we could feel the vibration in the center armrest area as well.

2. The vibration only happens when A LOT of torque is applied to the drivetrain and it seemed to be getting slightly worse as we drove. We thought this was in our heads until...

3. After running the car up through 1st and into second at WOT my friend found it impossible to shift into 3rd gear. In fact, we found the stick to be stuck in 2nd. We drove the car home in second and while sitting in the road in front of my house we turned the motor off. My friend was then able to yank the car out of second and put it into neutral.

4. In neutral there seemed to be lots of clanking/scratching sounds. He was then able to force the car into 3rd gear while the motor was still off. He pushed in the clutch and drove the car around the block in third so as to setup to drive the car into the driveway.

5. My car is now sitting in 3rd gear in the driveway and we can't get it out of that gear.

It looks like I will be in the 626 beater for this next week. I know now that apart of the problem must be directly related to the tranny, but why would that cause such a noticeable vibration in my rear end? Are these two seperate problems that are somewhat related or are all my problems tied up with the tranny.

I guess it is new tranny time, but I would still appreciate any and all feedback that you guys may have.

Eric
If the car sticks in 3rd gear and other gears shift freely, one must assume the clutch is not at fault. The clutch disengagement can obviously be confirmed in other gears. You should feel no bump when engaging a gear from neutral with the clutch depressed.

Going further, I would say the trans is bad if you're hearing grinding noises in neutral and it's stuck in 3rd gear. I doubt if the shifter linkage could be at fault.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the information so far. I will check out the tranny mounts today... my feeling is that the transmission is toast though. Who should I contact about getting a replacement. Do you go through the dealer or can you go to Getrag direct? Does Getrag have some contact information somewhere?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
LeatherMan said:
Thanks for all the information so far. I will check out the tranny mounts today... my feeling is that the transmission is toast though. Who should I contact about getting a replacement. Do you go through the dealer or can you go to Getrag direct? Does Getrag have some contact information somewhere?

Thanks,
Eric
Getrag does not deal with the public. I came across a couple internet outlets selling these transmissions remanufactured by Getrag for around $4K with core. Use this as a cost benchmark, as you try to work with a BMW dealer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you guys feel about a used transmission. I found a couple online for about $3K. One had 32k miles and one had 42k miles.

Lscman... I guess you would have mentioned them if you could, but just to confirm... do you have links to any of those sites that had access to the remanufactured units?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
LeatherMan said:
How do you guys feel about a used transmission. I found a couple online for about $3K. One had 32k miles and one had 42k miles.

Lscman... I guess you would have mentioned them if you could, but just to confirm... do you have links to any of those sites that had access to the remanufactured units?
No link handy. The sites I'm referring to were major reman, aftermarket & OEM BMW parts suppliers. The transmissions & pricing displayed after I "drilled down" to the component through year, mfr, model, drivetrain, transmission.

The same sites offer remanufactured engines for almost every BMW except M5 and other stuff. Searching will be necessary. I would personally never buy a used transmission if a reman with warranty was available for another 30% or so. Used transmissions are risky and I'd want to see at least 50% off to take the risk. Doing the job twice could cost a lot in labor. Good luck.

I think a 540i E39 transmission will fit. Not sure though. From what I can tell, they upgraded a few parts a bit and raised the price a lot. The 540i tranny's seem to hold up with 450 HP superchargers attached.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just found a place online that claims they can get all of the parts needed for rebuilding the 226 unit from Getrag. They said they would rebuild it completely for $2500.00 if I ship the core to them. I was under the impression that no one could rebuild the M5 226 transmission.

How does that sound to you guys?

Eric

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put the car up in the air again today and I can see nothing wrong with any of the transmission mounts. However, I did find a few cracks in the rubber U-joint bushing part where the drive shaft is bolted to the transmission. Even worse I found that the rubber bushing/o-ring that is back where the drive shaft meets the rear differential is torn in two. There was even a small chunk missing. Do you guys think this could be the source of the vibration coming from the rear?

Eric

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
For about 90% of cases, the Guibo is suspect when vibration is felt during acceleration. The guibo or flex disk is the rubber donut that surrounds a small portion of the driveshaft. Since you commented that it had some cracks in it, replace it as it is probably causing your vibration. Those things go bad usually in the 80k to 120k range, or earlier if you abuse the car. Most BMW's I have driven that are around 100k miles show the begining signs of a guibo failure.
Good luck with the tranny, as if it isnt a mount or linkage issue, it's toast. Sorry bud.
:cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Dear Bren,

Thank you for your compassion as short of engine failure I think this is the worst mechanical failure that could happen to the beast. Is there a guibo front and rear of the drive shaft or is the Guibo just the rubber bushing on the tranny side? The rubber piece in the rear of my drive shaft looks nothing like the Guibo in the front... it is basically just a very large O-Ring. Do you know if this rear O-Ring can be replaced?

Once I know whether the tranny is toast (I will be pulling it this weekend) I will start running through my options for replacing it. I asked before, but what do you guys think about a company claiming to be able to rebuild the tranny?

Eric

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
No worries bud, I just feel for those who have mechanical issues with wonderful cars. Lord knows I have had great cars break, and in my case it always leads to mild depression.
There should only be one guibo on the car, but I dont remember exactly where it is on the E39 (been a long time since I have been under one). It's a rather large part, and it surrounds the whole driveshaft at some point. I'm not sure what the two other parts you are looking are though. If you have the tranny out it would be worth replacing even if it looks ok.
I would be leary of a shop who claims they can work on the tranny. As far as I know, Getrag doesnt sell internals for that tranny, so I would worry about what is going in there after the rebuild. With a fair amount of money at stake, I would just send it in and get a rebuilt unit from Getrag. If parts where available to anyone, I would say go with the shop, but sadly that isnt the case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dear Bren,

From what I have found I can't contact Getrag directly for a rebuild. I called the dealer and they said that there was no core exchange rebuild program available for the transmission. They quoted me a price of $7600.00 + tax for the tranny. I get to keep my core... whoo hooo! I thought they were just lying to me so I called Pacific BMW and they said the same thing.

This is rediculous... there is no way that Getrag isn't running some type rebuilding service through some outlet.

Eric

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Eric- As far as I know Getrag has a 100% monopoly on that tranny. $7600 sounds high though. I would look into getting a used tranny that has low miles if $7600 is too much to pay. Used trannys pop up out of wrecked M5's now and again. I'll do some searching on the internet and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been searching high and low and the $4k rebuilt tranny price seems to be very difficult to come by. The best I have done so far is with a dealer in Fort Worth at a price of $5k for the rebuilt unit. Does anyone have any idea what dealer might be willing to drop to that low of a price?

Eric

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
LeatherMan said:
I just found a place online that claims they can get all of the parts needed for rebuilding the 226 unit from Getrag. They said they would rebuild it completely for $2500.00 if I ship the core to them. I was under the impression that no one could rebuild the M5 226 transmission.

How does that sound to you guys?

Eric
IMO, they are dishonest. You will be getting someone else's used tranny or a mix of used mix-matched parts in your case, slapped together with used gaskets and Permatex....or they will rebadge a salvage tranny. They can not source internal parts, unless Getrag changed their policies in the last 6mo.

As of 6 mo ago, only Getrag Service was rebuilding Maserati and BMW type D/226 tranny's.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I pulled the tranny on Saturday... it is officially TOAST. I am thinking about having a local company called bloomenthal's tear the tranny down and diagnose the problem. They are huge company here in OKC with over 75 years of experience in the transimssion rebuilding/reconditioning business. If I decide to have them take it apart I will take some pictures and post them with the results of their oscopy<O:p</O:p

I did want to get some advice though while it is out. What mods, upgrades, or maintenance would you guys recommend that I do while the transmission is out. Keep in mind that I had to pull the entire exhaust from the down pipes back as well as the drive shaft. There are some obvious suggestions, but I would like to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Lastly, I may start a new thread on this, but just for now has anyone else noticed how REDICULOUSLY easy the M5 is to work on. I have owned quite a few other vehicles, mostly Japanese, and I have never worked on a car that was so straight forward/simple to work with. I have been more and more impressed with each progressive area of the car that I work on and after pulling the transmission in 4 hours without a lift I am just flabbergasted. I am falling more and more in love with each passing week!!!<O:p></O:p>

<O:p</O:p

Eric

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
You might also consider Jim Blanton, I think in Kansas. He has been rebuilding trannys and diffs for BMW's and race cars for many years. Ask if he can get the parts for the G226. I think his website is Performancegearing, or something close. If you can't find it, PM and I will get it for you.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts