BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get my 2008 6 speed manual in a nice controlled slide around a corner with the rear end hanging out under throttle, but every time I break the rear end loose under acceleration in a straight line, the rear goes instantaneously into wheel hop. Everything in the rear suspension is in great shape and the car handles perfectly in every other way.

I have see a few members with 6MT's post about this issue but nothing from the SMG crowd. Outside of possibly a different length drive shaft I can't think of what else would be different in the drive train or rear suspension between the two platforms. Is this a problem with the SMG cars as well?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have no idea about the differences between the 6MT and SMG, but I have absolutely no wheel hop with an 06 SMG stock suspension.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
SMG controls the clutch and prevents wheel hop from occurring even with traction control disabled.

With a manual its a different story as the clutch is operated by the driver. It is actually one of the reasons why they only let the six speed manuals at first only have "MDM", no "DSC Off".

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,401 Posts
6MT...no wheel hop for me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SMG controls the clutch and prevents wheel hop from occurring even with traction control disabled.
That makes sense, but it happens with the clutch fully engaged when I break it loose with an appropriate stab of the throttle at the right RPM as well.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,401 Posts
That makes sense, but it happens with the clutch fully engaged when I break it loose with an appropriate stab of the throttle at the right RPM as well.

Thanks for your reply.
What tire are you running?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have wheel hop with my Conti's. I have no wheel hop with the Hankook's I'm running at the moment. Im SMG as well. I think the Conti's are just a grippier tire.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's interesting that there is a disparity here when it comes to wheel hop.

It was mentioned to launch at a higher RPM,but I'm not trying to launch the car or to do pointless burnouts. I'm referring to times when I punch it in 1st gear after the car is already moving with the clutch fully engaged and the rear end brakes loose on its own. The rear starts hopping and I have to back out of it. I'll try doing an intentional burnout by launching from a dead stop and see it I get the same results although that result won't help the problem I'm talking about.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Gary

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Hey Gary. They more I think about this the more this doesn't make sense to me. If you're referring to "wheel hop" I don't think this has anything to do with what tranny type you have. Or maybe you're describing something else? If it's just a "hop" it may be tire related and has nothing to do with the car...?

Dan

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Gary. They more I think about this the more this doesn't make sense to me. If you're referring to "wheel hop" I don't think this has anything to do with what tranny type you have. Or maybe you're describing something else? If it's just a "hop" it may be tire related and has nothing to do with the car...?
I agree, I only made reference to the 6MT cars because the only times I saw wheel hop mentioned in this forum was from MT owners. It could very well be tire related as one member stated that he had wheel hop with Conti's on his car but not with Hankook.

That being said, the fact that BMW originally sold the MT cars without the ability to turn off the DTC says something as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts