BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright..so trying to get a new set of wheels..the new set are 20" with a 20mm offset all around. the fronts are 8.5 and rear are 10". Will i have a rubbing problem at all with this setup? i dont use any spacers or anything currently. Please let me know what you suggest or ideas so i can know if i have anything to worry about..also what width of tire can i fit onto that 10"? since the stock is 9.5 and fits a 275 easily..what width should i look at for the rear? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Don't know why i'm such a sucker for answering wheel offset questions!

8.5 et 20 will be 8mm less aggressive then stock. I imagine you will rub on the inside strut w/o a 5-10mm spacer.
10 et 20 will be 14mm more aggressive then stock. I know people run 15mm spacers on the rear w/ stock rims so as long as you don't go above a 285/35 rear I suppose you will be ok. That being said my winters (which run big) rub on stock rims w/ a 12mm spacers so... it will be close.

a 10 width rim can fit a 295 width tire however with your offsets i wouldn't go past 285 rear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very VERY helpful! thank you so much. so the front will be less agressive? man that kind of sucks.. :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
OK now its my turn to ask. I've got a Vossen 9" wheel in the front with +20. It's currently using a 15mm spacer in the front and its ok, but I want it a little more aggressive. Do you think 18mm or 20mm spacer would be ok?

·
Registered
932 Posts
OK now its my turn to ask. I've got a Vossen 9" wheel in the front with +20. It's currently using a 15mm spacer in the front and its ok, but I want it a little more aggressive. Do you think 18mm or 20mm spacer would be ok?
Again do at your own risk. The 15mm spacer is a nice offset to a 9et20 especially if you want to run 265/275. 18mm spacer w/ a 255 will be very close, with a tire that runs small like a Michelin i think you will be fine. 20mm spacer I would bet will rub.

To get that super flush look can be very dangerous as different tires can have stiffer sidewalls which are bigger then the advertised widths so knowing what tires people have managed with offsets is very important. If you are running a ps2 this is very safe tire to have a more aggressive offset.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you think spacers would help rubbing on the inside? it'll still be 8.5 front(just 20" rims) and 255 tires. im just scared im going to try and put the rims on and it'll rub :/

current setup is 19" with 8.5 front and 255's

·
Registered
932 Posts
do you think spacers would help rubbing on the inside? it'll still be 8.5 front(just 20" rims) and 255 tires. im just scared im going to try and put the rims on and it'll rub :/

current setup is 19" with 8.5 front and 255's
I would be very carefull putting on the rims w/o spacers. 20" vs 19" doesn't matter. If I were you I would get 12-20mm spacers to match the look of your rear wheels. If you do put the wheel on don't drive on them, get under the car and see if the tire/rim are touching the strut.

current tires are 255/40/19..new setup would be 255/30/19
You are sticking with 19" tires but dropping 2 profiles down on the tires? I wouldn't run 255/30/19. Smallest tire diameter I would go is 255/35/19.

Wheels / Tires aren't hard to understand just a little confusing at first. They have a lot of different dimensions.

Something important to know for tire sizes. 255 is the width of the tire, 40 (or 30) is a ratio for the sidewall profile, and 19 is the easy one of the rim size. When you change from a 255/40/19 to a 275/40/19 your side wall will actually be bigger and not the same since its a ratio.

Do google searches for wheel offset calculators and wheel size calculators and I will try to help you put it together.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if im going from a et12 offset to an et20 offset wheel..wouldn't that be more agressive as it pushes the car AWAY from the car instead of closer to the inside?

·
Registered
932 Posts
if im going from a et12 offset to an et20 offset wheel..wouldn't that be more agressive as it pushes the car AWAY from the car instead of closer to the inside?
Nope other way around. Offset is from where the wheel attached to the hub to the center of the wheel. So again its not a static number, it changes based on the width of the rim.

going from 12 to 20 means 8mm more space from the center of the wheel to the hub which means the wheel sits farther in.

Today i'm on a roll for wheel / tire 101!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i would think from the center of the wheel to the hub increasing would mean it'd be pushed further away from the inside..

·
Registered
932 Posts
i would think from the center of the wheel to the hub increasing would mean it'd be pushed further away from the inside..
Well not to be blunt but you would be wrong. Hub farther from the center of the wheel means you have to push the wheel farther in to touch the hub no? Once you start thinking about it correctly you will get it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Again do at your own risk. The 15mm spacer is a nice offset to a 9et20 especially if you want to run 265/275. 18mm spacer w/ a 255 will be very close, with a tire that runs small like a Michelin i think you will be fine. 20mm spacer I would bet will rub.

To get that super flush look can be very dangerous as different tires can have stiffer sidewalls which are bigger then the advertised widths so knowing what tires people have managed with offsets is very important. If you are running a ps2 this is very safe tire to have a more aggressive offset.
Forgot to mention the tire size was 255/35/20 Yokohama. the rear seems to be perfect at 10.5 in the rear with 27 offset and 285/30/20. Just the front seems to be off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts