BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with metal covers that fit on the inside of the wheels so as to keep the brake dust off the wheels. I had them on my E-420 last year and they were very effective. They seemed to keep the brake dust off the front, but I am not sure if they would cause overheating of the rotors since they cut off the air circulation around the rotors.

·
Registered
765 Posts
these covers, don't they spoil the look of the alloys?

------------------
SL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They fit inside the wheels and they obscure the look of the rotors etc but they work. I wonder if they cause overheating of the disc rotors

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I'm surprised you actually need a confirmation on this, but yes they do effect cooling of your rotors. And when you take the car in for service you'll probably get a lecture on it.

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
but how much of a difference? i mean is it a problem under normal driving? Or is it only when you are driving hard (id race track)? Is it completely not viable?

faisal

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by as:
Does anyone have any experience with metal covers that fit on the inside of the wheels so as to keep the brake dust off the wheels. I had them on my E-420 last year and they were very effective. They seemed to keep the brake dust off the front, but I am not sure if they would cause overheating of the rotors since they cut off the air circulation around the rotors.
They will overheat your brakes and possibly warp the rotors. Do not use them. Just start washing your wheels more often.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts