BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Wheel cleaning/ detailing tip

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Tortuga 
#1 ·
So after washing my wheels, I hated that my brake rotors would start forming surface rust. By the time I finished washing the car there would be enough rust on the brake rotors that a quick drive would cause my wheels to be dirty again. So what I do now is after I wash each wheel, I dry the brake rotors with compressed air and no more rust on my rotors.

#2 ·
Good tip. Surface rust on the rotors doesn't bug me much since the rust be gone after the car is driven. But what bugs me is the brake dust! Do you apply any sort of wheel wax to keep the brake dust from sticking?

#3 ·
Of course you could oil them...LOL

#7 ·
this has been everyone's problem since decades ago. i'm not quite sure if there's anything to get around rust forming on rotors (in general) after a car wash. i guess you can do as suggested which is the air blast. too much work IMO. it's just something i've lived with since forever lol.

#9 ·
I always air dry my car with my leaf blower,but that doesn't seem to stop the rust from forming. So what I do is I hand dry the car and then drive it to the end of my driveway and back. That's enough brake application so no rust forms, and then I get the leaf blower and blast every nook and cranny with air and get all the water out. I love it.

Reactions: LeeDan00
#14 ·
Actually seriously, I did sort of discover a neat trick that does a nice job of 'finishing' my wheel cleaning ritual; I pinched a plastic salad serving spoon from the kitchen, one with a curved section on the handle wrapped it in a towel and use it to clean around the lug nuts...does a nice job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.