BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
74.1 is the hub bore size right? So when boring wheels to fit the E39, what do you tell the guy at the shop? They wont wit if both hub bore and centerbore are exactly 74.1 right?

I ordered Apex Arc8s and need to have the bored to fit the M5. Problem is I'm on vacation so I'm having a friend take the wheels to have them bored and to mount tires, he went to a shop and the guy there asked if its the inner or outer bore and because I am overseas, I could not be reached by phone so he ended up taking the wheels home until I replied to his email. What should i tell him to tell the guy at the shop? Inner or outer bore? And is it 74.1 to fit the E39 hub bore? I'd call Apex because they have outstanding customer support but I cannot use the phone.

Thanks for any help, I'm a little confused at the moment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have them rebore the Apexs to 74.1 - exactly what I did to my ARC8's with no issues.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inner or outer bore? What do i have him tell the guy at the shop when he asks?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would take him a standard wheel and let him pop a snap gauge in there and tell him you want your wheels bored the same, that way there can be no confusion if he gets it wrong it's his fault and he can't say "that's the size you told me"

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would take him a standard wheel and let him pop a snap gauge in there and tell him you want your wheels bored the same, that way there can be no confusion if he gets it wrong it's his fault and he can't say "that's the size you told me"
problem is I dont have any regular m5 wheels, my car is on jack stands awaiting the new wheels

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'll Measure a oem wheel bore for you today then.
thank you, if you can take a picture as well, that would help so if the guy has any questions about what needs to be bored out, we can show him the picture.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
What? It's the inner bore that needs to be bored out. Right where the red ring is in the below picture

http://imageshack.com/a/img674/5587/qH3yVr.png

I would be wary of trusting a shop that did not know this offhand. It means they likely don't do this a lot and particularly means they likely haven't dont BMW wheels before, which are notoriously sensitive.

74.1 is correct E39 fitment

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help.

Apex does not offer wheel reboring services anymore.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts