BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a wheel bearing noise on my 3.8 m5 ,the bearings are all fine ,has anyone any idea where else the noise is coming from.
tony
:cheers:

·
Registered
191 Posts
tonym5 said:
i have a wheel bearing noise on my 3.8 m5 ,the bearings are all fine ,has anyone any idea where else the noise is coming from.
tony
:cheers:
Hi,

Simple question: How can you tell if they are fine? The "M" bearings are sealed on both sides...

If it hums at 80-90km/h and side-to-side weight transfers. It is definitely the bearing.

Cheers :byebye:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I only got the noise when turning. So if I turn the steering wheel just left of center or more, the turn puts pressure on the bearing and then it hums/growls...

Turning in the opposite direction unloads the weight on that side and the bearing is quiet again - as it should be.

in the states, when buying the bearing, you must buy the hub. be sure to note your production date as somewhere in the 91 run, the ABS sensor part of the hub changed. I forget the which size hub is the updated version. anyhow, you should match what you are replacing.

another note is purchasing the whole strut housing includes a new hub and only costs a little more than the hub itself.....

good luck,

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just had to replace a right front wheel bearing on my 95 which only lasted 25k miles. It started growling at 50mph then progressed to a grinding vibration through the steering at lower speeds. At first I thoought it was a dragging front caliper because it had a lope to it (warped disc?). anyway, within another 100 or so miles it behaved exactly as Mike noted previously. If it changes with speed then its one of three: bearing, rotor/caliper assembly or could be some type of tire/wheel rub on another component maybe?

Good luck troubleshooting and hope its cheap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts