BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what it could be, but in the past 2 weeks I will be driving the car normally and then all of a sudden the steering wheel and stick shift will start to shake aggressively for about ten seconds and then it goes away (I mean really aggressive!) . I've had my alignment checked as well as tire pressure/balance. The fact that the stick shakes as well makes me think that there could be something wrong in the transmission. After the shaking stops the car runs fine for the rest of the day. This is still very concerning. I have regular tune ups and everything checks out ok...Someone Please HELP!!!:eek:h:

·
Registered
723 Posts
does this happen under acceleration/braking/cornering? Does it dissapear when you push in the clutch?

For starters, I would examine suspension (control arms, etc), driveshaft & diff for any damage.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I'm kind of having the same problem going on. My steering wheel shakes at 50mph, under acceleration. No shake under 50mph, no shake over 50 mph. Just had car aligned and wheels balanced from local dealership. Vibration still there at 50 mph??? Don't want to hijack the thread, but it seems like were having similar issues. Hopefully we can find a solution??????

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Might be due to warped discs. Happened on my 840ci, used to shake during acceleration but only at certain points and also sometimes on breaking, also on certain points. Wheel alingnment is another cause.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It happends at about 50mph and if you press the clutch it makes no difference.

Whenever I brake it's smooth except once in a while the wheel shakes. I recently got new rotors so I doubt that that is whats causing it.

It concerns me that the stick shift shakes at the same pace as the wheel...

I am still unsure of what steps I should take-

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hmmm, sounds it could be couple different things. Only a few things would shake the shifter so maybe start there. Check the flex joint on the front of the drive shaft and maybe the center bearing on the shaft.

Joe

·
Registered
77 Posts
It could be your thrust arm bushings. This is a common failure on the 5 and 7 series. The tell-tell sign is that it only happens around a certain MPH. The 7 series get it around 60 mph (I just replaced my wife's 740 lower and upper control arms to get rid of this vibration. It happens more when you slowly accelerate or gradually slow down, but happens at the same MPH. If you quickly accelerate the vibaration is very short and again at the same MPH. It's not the brakes if you don't feel it thougout the breaking but only a one particular mph.

LL

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Did you check the wheel bolts?

Did this start right after you had the new discs installed? If so, there can be some dirt trapped between the disc and the wheel-hub. Even a tiny amount of dirt in the wrong place can make the discs have a big axial run-out at the edge causing vibrations.

David

·
Registered
245 Posts
There was an article in the tech section of the Roundel this month where an M5 owner had "vibration" problem. After multiple visits with different dealers, one finally located problem as out-of-balance flywheel, I think. So the vibration only came around 3500 RPM. Can you imagine average service dept. being able to find such problems? (sigh....)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts