BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone,

When I bought my car I noticed the steering wheel had a slight (but still noticeable) tilt to the right. Seller didn't have enough time to align the car b4 I purchased it (had a diff set of wheels/tires on it). Had it looked at and the mechanic told me the tire wear was even and to just get an alignment when I got time.

Anyway so I go get it aligned today and I noticed the wheel was still tilted. Took it back for them to straighten and he fixed it some, but it's still tilted to the right.

It's not too bad when going from here/there, but after driving on the Interstate a few hrs it gets old lol.

I guess my question is is this a common thing in M's and is my only option having someone take the wheel off and realign it?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
138 Posts
if you have giant wheels it could be tram-lining otherwise, Nope, its a common thing if your alignment shop sucks, take it back and have them do it properly

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
The steering rack should be centered as the first step of the alignment, which should result in a "level" steering wheel.
Our cars likely have a reference mark on the steering rack, but other models have required a special tool.

·
2,149 Posts
The steering rack should be centered as the first step of the alignment, which should result in a "level" steering wheel.
Our cars likely have a reference mark on the steering rack, but other models have required a special tool.
Do most dealers do this as normal practice? Anyone to make sure they do, do this?

·
Registered
458 Posts
The best alignment I ever had done on my beast was from an independent shop.
The mechanic was M trained though, but much better than the a*s*s* hats at the stealership.

Anyway, here is what he did. He had me fill the gas tank 3/4 full then drive the car onto the rack and sit in the
drivers seat. I sat there while he performed a detailed 4 wheel alignment. As he was working, he asked me if
I track the car (no) and what type of driving I do (aggressive, mild etc.) He also asked if these were the tires
I would be using for the near future.

All of these things effect the choices he has to adjust the alignment. He also had a device that keeps the
wheels and steering wheel straight.

The results were dead on. The car drove as tight and straight as its been since new.
The process was quick, less than 45 minutes from driving on the ramp to driving out the door.
It was also fairly priced, about $125.00

So alignment can be done right if done at the right shop. The dealer service shop is the wrong place to have it done though.
They will not put in the effort and will only try to sell you new tires or some other s*h*i*t* that they claim is the cause of the
mis-alignment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's pretty thorough lol. Yeah I took it somewhere this weekend to get a second opinion. They weren't able to do it either, but they have me 2 print-outs showing why they couldn't and what special tools were needed that they didn't have.

So now I have a detailed summary of what the mechanic needs to align my car. I don't think there are any M specialized mechanics anywhere near me. The 1 shop who specializes in Euro cars here suggested I take it to Memphis (2+ hrs away). I guess it's just something I'm going to have to deal with for now until I find a shop that can do an alignment the proper way. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The dealer service shop is the wrong place to have it done though.
They will not put in the effort and will only try to sell you new tires or some other s*h*i*t* that they claim is the cause of the
mis-alignment.
I get so sick of the dealership hate. There are great techs at great dealerships out there. There are good techs that will go out of their way to take care of your car and do things properly. Myself, for example. I'm doing rod bearings on cars under CPO warranty, even when it's only preventive. Our dealership has gotten center of excellence every year for the last, well, I don't even know how long. We must be doing something right.

My best advice is get in good with your service writer, or get to know your tech. You're absolutely allowed to request the same tech every time. Or a different tech if you weren't happy. Ask your service writer who works on the most M cars, or even better, who owns one, like me. I have several customers that only want me working on their car. And one that drives from out of state for me to service his M5.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts