BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

wheel adapters - any good??

810 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  jim mc d
Has anyone used wheel adapters to fit other manufacturer's wheels. For sale here -

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/camaro_vette_wheel_spacers.html

I fancy some of those porsche split rims for sale on e bay :hihi:
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,564 Posts
Wheel adapters are generally not advised. There are certain applications that work out OK, but many adapters place unintended shear loads on the wheel studs/bolts and can result in vibration or loss of wheel under severe duty (pothole, high speeds, high lateral forces etc). The forces and additional shear surfaces also encourage the wheel to move around with respect to the hub/flange and this loosens the wheel bolts/nuts.

Wheel adapters are a necessary evil in certain odd applications. In your case, plenty of wheels are sold that are designed to fit your car. I'd stick to them.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lscman said:
Wheel adapters are generally not advised. There are certain applications that work out OK, but many adapters place unintended shear loads on the wheel studs/bolts and can result in vibration or loss of wheel under severe duty (pothole, high speeds, high lateral forces etc). The forces and additional shear surfaces also encourage the wheel to move around with respect to the hub/flange and this loosens the wheel bolts/nuts.

Wheel adapters are a necessary evil in certain odd applications. In your case, plenty of wheels are sold that are designed to fit your car. I'd stick to them.
cheers lscman cherrsagai - will do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.