BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I tried to sit on my hands but I just couldnt, so the fingers typed away, besides, the lurkers from other forums already think were nuts with our watches. :haha:

In the seedier areas while visiting customers I have my trusty Les Baer Stinger, otherwise its a Smith 340PD.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Uh, carrying concealed weapons is illegal here in California. :sad3: The only S&W I wear is the watch on my wrist. :3:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
de Witt,

Your joking right? And if you aren't, well thank you very much but I will decide for myself where and when I carry, as well as determining if its necessary or not..:rolleyes: There is one person in Colorado who would disagree with you most vociferously, and she sends me a thank you note each year on the anniversary of my intervention in her time of despair.

Need4speed,

Yes, I am aware thats it is "illegal" in California and hope that no one does so against the law of their particular state. But to correct you a bit, it is not illegal by the letter of the law in California, it is simply at the discretion of each county Sheriff. But I grant you, some Sheriffs in California are not as disposed as others to issue licenses, and it helps to be a celebrity in certain of those counties that are severely restricted. There are, and you may be suprised to learn this, many thousands of permits in private hands in California.

fast5

As far as that Roscoe goes, he's on my play list, as well as Howling Wolf, and Muddy Waters.:1:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
But to correct you a bit, it is not illegal by the letter of the law in California, it is simply at the discretion of each county Sheriff.
Yes. What I meant was it is illegal w/o a permit, and in urban areas, it is all but impossible for the ordinary person to get one. So, by and large, it is illegal in California. There is a certain illogic to that, but there are a lot of things in California that aren't logical. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pete said:
de Witt,

Your joking right? And if you aren't, well thank you very much but I will decide for myself where and when I carry, as well as determining if its necessary or not..:rolleyes: There is one person in Colorado who would disagree with you most vociferously, and she sends me a thank you note each year on the anniversary of my intervention in her time of despair.

Need4speed,

Yes, I am aware thats it is "illegal" in California and hope that no one does so against the law of their particular state. But to correct you a bit, it is not illegal by the letter of the law in California, it is simply at the discretion of each county Sheriff. But I grant you, some Sheriffs in California are not as disposed as others to issue licenses, and it helps to be a celebrity in certain of those counties that are severely restricted. There are, and you may be suprised to learn this, many thousands of permits in private hands in California.

fast5

As far as that Roscoe goes, he's on my play list, as well as Howling Wolf, and Muddy Waters.:1:
Hey Pete,

I'll have to disagree with you on this one, you stated " it is not illegal by the letter of the law in California, it is simply at the discretion of each county Sheriff"

It is the state law, section 12025 of the Penal Code states that it is unlawful for persons to carry a concealed firearm, unless they possess a CCW license....FIY, LAPD has only issued one CCW license last year.... however outside the city, Sheriffs have been known to issue CCW licenses to actors, celebrities, jewelers, and others.(and those are stricly controlled) But for most of the people in CA, a CCW license is almost impossible to get.

That's the problem in LA, almost 1 out of 4 cars that I deal with, has a concealed firearm...

Ed

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In no way did I intend to imply that enforcing any existing law was at the county sheriffs discression. I meant it is at their discression whether they issue a concealed weapons permit or not.

Here are the latest California Department of Justice figures on licenced CCW holders by county.
State's localities with differing (more or less strict) laws:Alameda CountyNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 203 permits in this county as of 2003.

Alpine County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 35 permits in this county as of 2003.

Amador County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 855 permits in this county as of 2003.

Butte County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 1577 permits in this county as of 2003.

Calaveras County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 659 permits in this county as of 2003.

Colusa County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 167 permits in this county as of 2003.

Contra Costa County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 275 permits in this county as of 2003.

Del Norte County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by JMNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 191 permits in this county as of 2003.

El Dorado County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 1413 permits in this county as of 2003.

Fresno County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 2833 permits in this county as of 2003.

Glenn County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 385 permits in this county as of 2003.

Humboldt County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 1247 permits in this county as of 2003.

Imperial County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 490 permits in this county as of 2003.

Inyo County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 219 permits in this county as of 2003.

Kern County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 4306 permits in this county as of 2003.

Kings County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 307 permits in this county as of 2003.

Lake County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 251 permits in this county as of 2003.

Lassen County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 352 permits in this county as of 2003.

Los Angeles County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 1391 permits in this county as of 2003.

Madera County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 1231 permits in this county as of 2003.

Marin County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 59 permits in this county as of 2003.

Mariposa County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 364 permits in this county as of 2003.

Mendocino County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jm

CA DOJ records indicate there are 1113 permits in this county as of 2003.

Merced County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 748 permits in this county as of 2003.

Modoc County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 338 permits in this county as of 2003.

Mono County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 86 permits in this county as of 2003.

Monterey County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 121 permits in this county as of 2003.

Napa County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 518 permits in this county as of 2003.

Nevada County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 531 permits in this county as of 2003.

Orange County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jm

Notes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 1225 permits in this county as of 2003.

Placer County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 1262 permits in this county as of 2003.

Plumas County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 411 permits in this county as of 2003.

Riverside County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 698 permits in this county as of 2003.

Sacramento County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 600 permits in this county as of 2003.

San Benito County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 16 permits in this county as of 2003.

San Bernardino ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 2575 permits in this county as of 2003.

San Diego County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 1963 permits in this county as of 2003.

San Francisco County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 10 permits in this county as of 2003.

San Joaquin County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 589 permits in this county as of 2003.

San Luis Obispo County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 474 permits in this county as of 2003.

San Mateo County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 239 permits in this county as of 2003.

Santa Barbara County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:CA DOJ records indicate there are 173 permits in this county as of 2003.

. Santa Clara County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 188 permits in this county as of 2003.

Santa Cruz County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 44 permits in this county as of 2003.

Shasta County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 3361 permits in this county as of 2003.

Sierra County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 117 permits in this county as of 2003.

Siskiyou County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 484 permits in this county as of 2003.

Solano County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 117 permits in this county as of 2003.

Sonoma County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 172 permits in this county as of 2003.

Stanislaus County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 650 permits in this county as of 2003.

Sutter County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 624 permits in this county as of 2003.

Tehama County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 1085 permits in this county as of 2003.

Tulare County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 2934 permits in this county as of 2003.

Tuolumne County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 956 permits in this county as of 2003.

Ventura County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 715 permits in this county as of 2003.

Yolo County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 284 permits in this county as of 2003.

Yuba County ----- Last updated 12/26/2004 by jmNotes:

CA DOJ records indicate there are 419 permits in this county as of 2003.

Like I said, in some counties its relatively easy to get a permit, in some almost impossible. It should also be mentioned that once a permit is issued by a sheriff, that permit is good statewide in California, and there are several other states that will honor that California permit also.
As you can see from the numbers, its about 44,650 permits, you can see which counties are severely restrictive. Definitive answers can only be had by calling your county sheriffs office in California.

I do not envy you your job em5464, I can well imagine what your stress level must be like when dealing with so many criminals. But I have to ask, why is it that if there are so many people with illegal weapons in their cars that there are not more arrests and convictions and sentencing under Project Exile? California in fact is one of the more restrictive states with respects to firearms in general. I would have thought there would be a far more agressive stance by the police in this matter. One in four cars having illegal weapons in them almost sounds criminally negligent with respect to the law enforcment community. Granted , they have no responsibility for any one individuals safety, as has been rightfully upheld in courts, but so many guns carried illegally clearly is more than an individual safety issue, it strikes me more as a community threat, and that they are responsible for.

I would be interested in your take on this since you are apparently intimately involved with the problem.

·
2,492 Posts
Pete said:
de Witt,

Well, it is up to the person. I wasnt trying to make a decision for you, but just stating my opinion. I dont know the specifics on the legality of it, but personally, its just not for me. If you are CCW, then go for it. It is good to hear that you have made good use of that ability.

I am a gun owner, so dont beat me down too much. Sorry to be a bastard sometimes.

Cheers

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
de Witt,

I wasn't trying to beat you down, or imply that you were a bastard. Unfortunetly my reply may have been a bit harsh, and for that I apologise. We each develope our own impressions based on experience, and we obviously have had different experiences here in Colorado.

stay safe.

·
Registered
200 Posts
glock 26 or 19 depending on the mood of the moment. There was a time when both and a chief 36 was the way to go but retirement ...

Des

·
2,492 Posts
If I was to go with a CCW, I would go HK P7M8. I do not care for the 1911, but I have a 1911A that I enjoy thoroughly.

I have a friend who is an up-up in Glock USA. He just returned from Iraq, and is working on a few skull crushers. I holster a G20, but I really enjoy the G31 .357. A .380 would be cool too, but I guess ATF has control on that one :rolleyes:

If you can, get a FN 5-7. Holy smokes. You can shoot this all day and feel like you have been shooting a .22. My friend from Glock just purchased one and its amazing to shoot.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just had the chance to read up on that 5 7, oh boy , that is one bad little number. My cataloge from FN is older, so maybe that ammo is not going to be civilian legal, at least I hope its not. Recoil impulse 60% of a 9mm makes it a pussycat for sure, and that capacity, geez. The thing I liked the best was 1.7 lbs., definitely a plus there.

I have two glocks, but for the life of me I cannot get accustomed to that trigger. I have tried every known variant, and I have the parts to prove it, :hihi: , the standard 5 lb pull is still the best, alas I am no good with the thing even then. I shoot that sadistic 340 better than the GLock, go figure.

I was just about to start a build of a 1911 in 9x23, but that 5 7 has me rethinking that notion now.

My attorney has a P7, and no amount of cajoling or bribing will make him part with it. I shot it once and the thing amazed me, for the first 5 magazines, then it started to get a bit hot, but its not really made for that type of firing. Accuracy was first rate, and the squeeze cocker was not at all difficult to master in the first few tries, even from a concealment position. Sights were very instinctive, I liked them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks like I'm in good company, Pete,

What other states recognize the Oklahoma Concealed Carry License?
Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wyoming. :biggrin:

Ask Walmart or Luby's about concealed carry.

GO PETE!!!

Pete said:
Ok I tried to sit on my hands but I just couldnt, so the fingers typed away, besides, the lurkers from other forums already think were nuts with our watches. :haha:

In the seedier areas while visiting customers I have my trusty Les Baer Stinger, otherwise its a Smith 340PD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts