BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling with my interior choice. I've heard the Aluminum trim referred to as 'cheap looking', and I don't really like aluminum anyways - too cold. The Madeira Walnut trim looks like my best bet, but everytime I've seen it, the appearance is like varnished pine. It just looked godawful in the Detroit car, and I haven't seen a really good combination yet.

I like the lighter Olive Carrera, but it's a wild color and pattern, and I haven't seen it with an interior that really clicks. I'm at the point now where I'd prefer the Silverstone II exterior, but I'll go with Sapphire Black if the interior doesn't go with Silverstone.

And of course, Individual is a 'maybe' on the US M5's.

Anyone out there have an interior combo they really love?

·
Registered
955 Posts
i am a big fan of the Piano black trim from BMW individual program. and unfortunately all the indications shows North American might not be able to get Individual M5 from BMW. though, can we still order the trim via parts department from the dealers?

otherwise, i guess i'll settle for the standard aluminum trim, and maybe have something aftermarket afterwards.
:blink:

·
Registered
457 Posts
IMHO, the best combination for the M5 is a black full leather trim with Madeira wood and either Interlagos Blue or Silverstone II paintwork. I have noticed that Madeira wood can look quite different depending on its grain. I mean the light stipes on the dark brown underground; sometimes there are a lot of them, sometimes non at all. Piano Black only looks good inside the 6 series, the brushed aluminium trim is only recommendable in combination with a Silverstone full leather trim, and Carrera wood only fits in with a sapphire black exterior.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Last chat I had with my dealer, I was informed that Individual would be available (as it was for the E39 M5) in the US. They didn't have alot of information about what was available (or color samples), but they said they would be able to get the car through Individual if that was what I wanted.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The E60 M5 we drove in Sweden had the alumnium trim and everyone agreed that it felt very cheap, especially when you tapped with a finger :sad1:

If you cannot choose Individual (e.g. Piano Black) then I'd go with the Madeira wood. The Olive Wood is really sick looking :crying:

Madeira will match most interior leather colours except Silver & Grey.

Click here to see my chosen (BMW Individual) colour combination:

http://www.m5board.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4930&sort=1&cat=551&page=1

·
Registered
867 Posts
bernhtp said:
Is the E60 aluminum trim of lower quality than the E39? The E60 appears far better in pictures.

Tom
I would say so - doesn't feel or look like metal - I ended up going with the walnut/Indy red full leather..

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I would be surprised if NA prevented you from ordering via Individual. They might request you pay extra though.

IMHO BMW is trying to give a modern look on these new interiors and I just don't think your typical varnished, clubby, wood looks that great in them. Id go with a metallic look or the piano black or CF if offered. I think they need something more aggressive. And Id keep the leather color to black. Unless the exterior color demanded something else.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Gus said:
I would say so - doesn't feel or look like metal - I ended up going with the walnut/Indy red full leather..

The wood doesn't feel like wood either; it's plastic. The wood certainly looks out of place in this modern interior. Piano black might work, but it makes too dark a feel for my taste. I'm thinking about going lighter than I have in the past on the E60. An alternative is the red with the sport interior.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
I am not inclined toward the aluminum trim for the same reason Wolverine stated. I am not concerned that a wood trim would not look sufficiently sporting. I think it adds warmth and makes the interior much less austere. My only reservation is the interaction between the wood and the SMG surround. In all the photos I have seen, these two materials do not mesh well and make the SMG surround look even more plastic. The two look best with the aluminum trim. Of course, it is difficult to judge without seeing it in person. I wonder if BMW (unlikely) or an aftermarket vendor (more likely) will offer a kit that will place a more attractive material over the SMG surround.

I like the lighter gray interiors. The only issue is with keeping it clean over the life of the car.

·
Registered
867 Posts
MRichmond said:
I am not inclined toward the aluminum trim for the same reason Wolverine stated. I am not concerned that a wood trim would not look sufficiently sporting. I think it adds warmth and makes the interior much less austere. My only reservation is the interaction between the wood and the SMG surround. In all the photos I have seen, these two materials do not mesh well and make the SMG surround look even more plastic. The two look best with the aluminum trim. Of course, it is difficult to judge without seeing it in person. I wonder if BMW (unlikely) or an aftermarket vendor (more likely) will offer a kit that will place a more attractive material over the SMG surround.

I like the lighter gray interiors. The only issue is with keeping it clean over the life of the car.
I agree completely - the SMG surround isn't even the same finish as the alu. trim though!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The aluminum colored mostly plastic trim ( so overused now by auto marketing teams since popularized by the Audi TT ) is now even on many $20K " sporty " econocars , even GM renta-wrecks .
I'm going for the sepang broze interior with the light olive wood . Might as well get a trim combo that you WON'T see on a Chevy Malibu "SS" , lol , as fake alum and fake dark wood is all over the low end of the market !

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
bm5kw said:
I'm going for the sepang broze interior with the light olive wood.
Brave man :cool:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm going Silverstone exterior with Black perforated full leather (ventilated) and Aluminium. None of the woods I've seen in BMWs look right.

·
Registered
714 Posts
mhh said:
I'm going Silverstone exterior with Black perforated full leather (ventilated) and Aluminium. None of the woods I've seen in BMWs look right.
dark birds eye maple or walnut would look sporty and nice, but they don't have them.

OT: didn't the individual even offered purple colored birds eye maple awhile ago? i have never seen them except on their brochures... not that i am suggesting those.

going OT: but Designo offered some kind of 'marble' in their cars... guess those never caught on.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Of course, in the US we do not know conclusively which exterior and interior color combinations will be offered. Perhaps BMW will take the input from this board and elsewhere and address some of the issues identified. If they give us Onyx Blue as a standard exterior color, all will be forgiven.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I really wish they did the nappa point style in the mew M5. I thought it broke the colours up and looked great in the Le Mans Blue I had.

I have gone for Indi Red and Black/Alu as I wanted Sapphire Black and Red/Alu but as I don't want full leather and you can only get red leather in ful I reversed the colours.

I think the Indi Red with red point leather would look good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm going for Saphire Black exterior with full leather perforated & ventilated black interior. Not sure about the trim, I hate wood in sporty cars and have no clue about those individual ones... so maybe no choice but to take that tacky alu trim.

Since my 2 M3s I have currently are Titanium silver exterior with black leather interior, I have decided to do a radical change, so I go for a full black M5 for a change, but without alu outside trim (is IMO for an undertaker car, not for a sports saloon!)

cherrsagai

Now I just hope I'm not missing out any seat option due to the full leather+ventilated stuff. I tried to take all it can eat (basically I took all possible options without conflicts). if anyone has info what you miss if you take the 'highest' option for a category, let me know!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Brave man :cool:

I just can't bring myself to adding yet another black/black car to my stable, so at this point it looks like sepang bronze /spang bronze / light olive . The alum trim leaves me cold and I agree it looks and probably feels cheap . Even when it's real aluminum, like on a Ferrari 360 , it still looks like plastic .

Sepang/sepang/light olive :

·
Registered
246 Posts
vndkshn said:
Last chat I had with my dealer, I was informed that Individual would be available (as it was for the E39 M5) in the US. They didn't have alot of information about what was available (or color samples), but they said they would be able to get the car through Individual if that was what I wanted.
This is a copy of an email I received from a dealer concerning BMW Individua and the USA (excuse the uppercase-apparently he is new to email):

OK MICHEAL, I THINK I HAVE COME UP WITH AN ANSWER TO MOST IF NOT ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS. THE SOURCE OF MY KNOWLEDGE COMES FROM BMW DISTRIBUTION NORTH AMERICA. THIS IS WHO WE HAVE TO CONTACT WHEN WE WANT TO DO A SPECIAL ORDER FOR A CUSTOMER. THAT IS JUST WHAT IT MEANS. BMW INDIVIDUAL MEANS SPECIAL ORDER. HOWEVER IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE FOR NON AMERICAN SPEC CARS, BUT BECAUSE WE HAVE ACCESS TO THE WORLDWIDE WEB SITE BMW HAD MADE EXCEPTIONS FOR SOME DEALERS AND ACCORDING TO THE PEOPLE AT DISTRIBUTION IT JUST GOT OUT OF CONTROL BECAUSE EVERY DEALER FELT THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT AS WELL. SO TO CUT DOWN ON ALL THE DRAMA THEY DECIDED TO TELL CUSTOMERS THAT WANTED TO DO SPECIAL ORDERS ,THEY SHOULD EXPECT A FEW WEEKS DELAY IN PRODUCTION. THAT ALL BEING SAID , I SPOKE TO THEM ABOUT THE NEW M 5 ,AND SHE EXPLAINED TO ME ,WITHOUT A DOUBT THAT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO A BMW INDIVIDUAL/ SPECIAL ORDER ON THAT CAR UNTIL IT HAS BEEN IN PRODUCTION FOR ONE YEAR. NOW KEEP IN MIND THIS IS ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE, SO DON’T PUT A LOT OF STOCK IN ANY INFORMATION YOU HEAR CONCERNING THE M5 ,ESPECIALLY THE COLORS BECAUSE I CAN ASSURE YOU THEY WILL CHANGE SEVERAL TIMES. MICHAEL , I HOPE I HAVE BEEN OF SOME HELP ,AND I LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING AND WORKING WITH YOU ON THE PURCHASE OF YOUR NEW M5 BMW. THANKS A BUNCH BOBBY WYATT

hope your info is better than mine

simmikie

1 - 20 of 40 Posts