BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps

Just thinking back on a couple of things and was wondering whats the best memory either in or to do with your M5. More than one answer is allowed

My dad driving me to our wedding in mine and all behind struggling to keep up:noSMG::noSMG:
Driving both our sons home from the hospitals as insanely slow speeds:happybirt
Acheiving an indicated 170mph and a weekend at the ring:wroom:
Washing the car in Cork and a stranger asking "is that a genuine M5" and then asking if it was automatic or dieselhihahiha
The day i bought her in May 2001,

These are what come to mind

Whats yours???

·
Registered
763 Posts
Er, some of mine have to do with reclining seats or the hazard lights being deployed by the breats of my passenger... Any more detail would probably get my post deleted or me banned:haha2:

But giving a new Ford Cobra a triple digit spanking was a good one too.

Oh yeah, and the cop who pulled me over and could not tell how fast I was going, but he knew I was speeding.

·
Registered
1995 BMW M5 Touring Individual Orinoco over Petrol Mint
617 Posts
When...
1. ... I first saw the car, picking it up at the shipping company. I thought to myself, "man it looks gorgeous!" (didn't expect to be amazed like that).
2. ... I first started it, it sounded like nothing else I had ever heard.
3. ... we went on a road trip to Aspen (redlining the engine several times through the Eisenhower Tunnel over 11,000 ft).
4. ... I take it for a spin, pretty much each time I am left with a smile on my face and a great memory!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm with Bob. Most of mine involve reclining seats and that hazard light thing. However, once I got the best of both worlds, driving all night and trying to stay awake, my wife thought she better do the "shifting" to help me stay awake.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The day when she came, the first ride and the feeling that I don't miss for my E39 M5 anymore!
The day when the R888 is on!
The day when RD cold air intake is on!
The day..... oh well, the days when I open the gate and letting her breathe open breast kinggf

Subscribed!

·
Registered
588 Posts
South of Germany to Middle of England in 11 hours with two bikes and full camping gear on board, arrived feeling ready to do it all again.

Most times you go above 4K :noSMG:

Any of the wonderful easy drifts the cars allow - makes you feel like a hero kinggf

·
Registered
159 Posts
1) when I first bought mine 1999 driving across the US from New York to Oregon in Montana my son drove 175mph!!;)
2) finding out mine was the first 3.8 ever built with very rare interior.
JohnR

·
Registered
61 Posts
1. When it rolled off the back of the transporter 6 months after I purchased it from Germany (based on photos).
2. When my wife first saw it several weeks later - she finally had her touring.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Great thread, my favorite so far is a 4 day driving trip with my college buddies who had 2 - 1994 Audi S6's in various mod levels, a 1989 911, and my M5. We drove down to Tennessee and spend the entire weekend driving the mountains around Deal's Gap. then drove home. AWESOME time with the beast.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My favourite is probably the summer camping trip I did last summer. About 1500km in a weekend through the mountains in a car people told me couldn't go camping. The most recent memories are from the photo shoot I did for my cars 20th birthday after installing new lights and rims. Photos of each attached

JohnR - I love my black with champagne interior as well. Rare and amazing!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
23rd October 1994,

Earls court Motor Show...seeing the Mugello red M5 on
BMW's "road in the sky" display (lined up next to M3 & 850csi in red).

Mid 1998,

First test drive...a 94 Avus blue 5 speed with 120'000miles (how many
does it have now ???!)
Remembering how it simply felt like it had TWO engines after stepping out
of my 535i sport.

22nd December 1999,

Collecting my Diamond Black, 1 owner 48'000mile 3.8 M5 from Cornwall
with my dad by my side....
Joining the M5 (appropriate road name) for the journey home and instantly
being harrassed by a new S-type Jaguar.....
Instantly dispatching said S-type without leaving 5th gear :byee55amg

26th December 1999, (boxing day)

Hitting 150mph on some stretch of road I can't recall where (!)
with my two brothers in the car.

2000 - 2005,

Various track days....
eating everything in it's path.

Posting 10th fastest time (and highest placed 4 door) in Autocars' "how fast"
challenge of 100 cars.

Aquitting myself reasonably well in the sideways challenge series....

Winter 2006,

Completely unintentionally bringing the M25 traffic to a halt at the Dartford tolls...

(this involved -2C ambient temps, worn p-zeros, a full bore upshift from 2nd-3rd
and hidden black ice under a gantry bridge..)

A 100 yard slide ensued occupying all 3 lanes and for six brief seconds I did indeed
"own the road".....ooopps.

2007-2010,

Summer trips to the Nurburgring,
Driving through France and Belgium in the night,
the car simply never ever missing a beat.

:cheers:

A.

Reactions: Mr. J

·
Registered
143 Posts
25. December last year I found a totaly unspoiled port area covered in 25cm of snow ;-) and had so much fun.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Did a breakfast run with some friends last year september and at the end of the run we did a hill climb.
It was the first time i really hammered it after my engine rebuilt and obviously the mandatory 2000km run in period.
Was amaized at the handling capabilities and torque surge uphill.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here are a few good moments:
1. Picking up the car in Germany with my dad 5 years ago - arriving several hours earlier than expected at the ferry to Sweden :)
2. The cashier at a gas station exclaiming "Do you have an M5?!", giving me a fridge pack of Coke for free, just because of the car
3. Road trips to Luxembourg, Munich and the Italian riviera - great driving fun on all sorts of roads
4. Stopping by the M facilities in Garching during one of those trips
5. Giving the car a good clean, enjoying its timeless design
6. Racing a 90's Porsche on some highway with my mum in the passenger seat!
7. The first drive of the year each spring

/Patrik

·
Registered
131 Posts
6,000 miles in three weeks from the UK through Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway across the Arctic Circle and onto Lofoten, Sweden again, Finland (back across the Arctic Circle), Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany again, Holland again, Belgium, Holland for a 3rd time(!) and back to the UK.

3 weeks, 6,000 miles with three adults, two dogs and a whole host of camping kit on board - no mishaps, no breakdowns, no fines, lots of fun.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
6,000 miles in three weeks from the UK through Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway across the Arctic Circle and onto Lofoten, Sweden again, Finland (back across the Arctic Circle), Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany again, Holland again, Belgium, Holland for a 3rd time(!) and back to the UK.

3 weeks, 6,000 miles with three adults, two dogs and a whole host of camping kit on board - no mishaps, no breakdowns, no fines, lots of fun.

This is a hell of a trip :wroom:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 32 Posts