BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was looking into buying an M5 and budget is around 30k. Would prefer lower miles and newer year, but after looking through multiple sites i.e. Autotrader, cars.com, I was seeing alot of 2013 M5's pop up on the radar. While the F10 was from 2011-2016, I was wondering if there was a facelift or update going on 2014+ model years? Were there common problems during the 2011-2013 M5 years that I should avoid? Were they lemons?
For example, the E60 M5 I was told had V10 Timing problems that I should completely avoid and the E39s were better, however, I was looking into something newer. Another example is the Mercedes Benz early V6 engines on the w211's had a balance shaft issue where the repair was thousands of dollars. Should I avoid 2011-2013+ M5's?

·
1,901 Posts
Nothing actually wrong with the earlier ones at all, there was just a facelift (what BMW called LCI) in 2014 which mainly gave an improved i-drive and (I think) a few standard features which used to be options.

I'm in the UK so it may be different for you. And my M5 is a '15 so...

Cheers

·
Registered
928 Posts
No they are fine

However like most people im sure you will want the latest to put your mind at ease

Ive got a 2005 m5 and 2012
Both been quite reliable

·
Registered
434 Posts
The F10 m5 is one of the best cars you can buy right now. Depreciation was rough for this series. You can get a low mileage (40-50k) car for 30% of the value new. I already own a special one, but man the temptation is there to buy another just because they are such great cars. You will not regret your decision in anyway. The Merc will not put a smile on your face like this M5 and you may get paid for your ownership. Sorry to the fans, but the e60 has wayyyyy too many problems to ever hold its value (especially for the smg cars). The F10 is so good, the newest series is just an LCI of the LCI.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm London based and went from a E39 + 15 years & 100k miles to a F10 2013. I absolutely love it. I paid £28k for a car with 33k miles in Sep 2018. Its not hugely spec'd but I wonder if I got a good deal for that millage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

I was looking into buying an M5 and budget is around 30k. Would prefer lower miles and newer year, but after looking through multiple sites i.e. Autotrader, cars.com, I was seeing alot of 2013 M5's pop up on the radar. While the F10 was from 2011-2016, I was wondering if there was a facelift or update going on 2014+ model years? Were there common problems during the 2011-2013 M5 years that I should avoid? Were they lemons?
For example, the E60 M5 I was told had V10 Timing problems that I should completely avoid and the E39s were better, however, I was looking into something newer. Another example is the Mercedes Benz early V6 engines on the w211's had a balance shaft issue where the repair was thousands of dollars. Should I avoid 2011-2013+ M5's?
I don't believe model years 2011 and 2012 were available in the U.S., so there's a good supply of 2013s in the used market. As another post referenced, the LCI was in 2014 and included headlights, taillights, and steering wheel among its most visible changes.

I bought a 2013 two months ago with 68k miles and it's well cared for and in great condition. I did purchase a service contract (warranty) so any problems will be taken care of for the next 4 years and 50k miles. Mine has Executive and Driver Assist packages as well as the B&O sound system and I paid $33k, mostly because I wanted the specific color combo (Singapore Gray over Sakhir Orange). Sticker on this car in 2013 was $106k.

Take your time, get a PPI done by a shop that knows BMW M cars, and if you're on the fence about the cost of an extended warranty, just remember that M stands for money.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm London based and went from a E39 + 15 years & 100k miles to a F10 2013. I absolutely love it. I paid £28k for a car with 33k miles in Sep 2018. Its not hugely spec'd but I wonder if I got a good deal for that millage.
i paid 31875 for a 2014 lci with every option ticked (night vision, massage seats, heated rear seats the whole kit) from a BMW dealer on the 28th Nov 2018

1 - 8 of 8 Posts