BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen this bumper quite a few times but after searching the internet I still don't understand what it is.

Is it a limited edition OEM bumper or something or is it simply just an aftermarket front bumper?

What do they holes/silver rings do?

Seen them again on Accel Junky's "M5 Build" thread:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
It's a stock bumper with an aftermarket lower grill. Or, what looks to be more the case, is the owner modified it to have "sink drains" for air flow to the brakes.

Reactions: ///Duncan

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
You can have the circle type or the OEM pass through type for a more stealthy look. The point is to route the ducts (all OEM parts you can buy) from the bumper to the fenders where they output at the brakes. I replaced my fenders with those that have the channel, and hooked them into the ducts.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I was wondering this myself. I always thought they looked dorky.
Well, they serve a function and if you find them dorky you can always paint them flat black, like I have done, to make them look less conspicious.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can have the circle type or the OEM pass through type for a more stealthy look. The point is to route the ducts (all OEM parts you can buy) from the bumper to the fenders where they output at the brakes. I replaced my fenders with those that have the channel, and hooked them into the ducts.
Do you have the parts numers for the OEM pieces? Assuming it would be 3, grille, ducts, and fenders?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Some owners used the "sink drain" mod as a CAI to feed the engine rather than just cooling the brakes...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/63435-custom-cai-install-pics-intro-plumbing-101-a.html
This DIY "cold air" intake has been discussed at length on the board and I believe the consensus was that it essentially sees no increase in power as it still directs air into the stock air filter boxes (which are still hot under normal operating condition). So really it's all show and no go. One is better off doing the brake duct mod or a cold air intake similar to the DINAN CAI (along these lines: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/206885-evolve-air-intakes-fitted-holy-sh-t.html)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Yes, when you see this modification, one of two possibilities exist:

1. Cometic only fitment of the rings without any "plumbing." This can be a DIY or purchased.

2. Actual creation of functional brake ducts, which I suppose might be useful on the track. Here is the original thread (from 2001!): http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/12219-brake-ducts-redux.html

Unfortunately, the picture link later in the thread is now disabled.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here's a shot of how it looks with functional holes and brake ducting behind the bumper but without the sink drains. Euro spec E39 M5's come stock with the ducting. US spec M5's do not.

You will also notice a space right beside the driving lights. This leads to the CAI.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts