BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, I know what it does, but whats the point of having it in the 1st place? seems stupid if you ask me. if the car has 500hp, then let it have it all the time. and the fact that you cant make it default to P500 is retarded!

What were the BMW engineers thinking on this?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think for those of us in areas where the weather turns to crap, I'm thankful there is a lower setting.
As much as I enjoy the sensation of maximum thrust and torque, I wouldn't want the car set at maximum warp settings all the time either. I think I would tire of the constant neck snapping jolts (I can't believe I just wrote that, I must be getting old).
Keep in mind this is a sedan, not a sport car/coupe, that was designed in Germany, which gets its fair share of snow.

Reactions: m6ontheway

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just leave the power in P500 is you don't want anything else. At least you can also switch the EDC settings with this button and the beauty is that it can be done hands on the wheel. I use this button just for that purpose alone when taking a nice corner to bump up the EDC. I don't want to drive with EDC pumped up all the way because of the harsh ride over small bumps, but in corners I just love it. This button can be used in many ways. Suit yourself. I am very glad they built it.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The best thing about the M car is how you can adjust how it drives.

For somebody who has to drive through town power button is the best button in that car. You can drive comfortably..
For when it's rainy and snowy/icy the 400hp is also a benefit to keep traction.

The suspension button is a must... no explanation needed.

And keep in mind this is a car built to be your daily driver.. ding ding ding

·
Registered
162 Posts
right, but if bmw came out with another button when pressed made 600hp, we'd all be on line.:M5launch:
Wouldn't that be like saying that the car has 400HP but when you press the Power button you get 500HP? :confused3

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wouldn't that be like saying that the car has 400HP but when you press the Power button you get 500HP? :confused3
i think you missed the point. avlnch said it best, you can adjust how it drives.

m drive has more settings than just power. how about suspension, mdm, active seats, shift mode, etc. so now, the car has become more versatile having two modes. one for daily driving, non-M mode. and one for having fun, M mode.

why doesn't that make sense??? i think it's ingenious!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It's like saying a fine piece of hi-end audio equipment should have two controls on/off and volume. It's all about tailoring the car to your requirements. I believe the total permutations of the available adjustments is 256 different combinations. As for the OP even you can have on/off and volume if that's your choice. hmmm

·
Registered
459 Posts
m drive has more settings than just power. how about suspension, mdm, active seats, shift mode, etc. so now, the car has become more versatile having two modes. one for daily driving, non-M mode. and one for having fun, M mode.

why doesn't that make sense??? i think it's ingenious![/quote]

+1
Well stated.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
another gadget, to play with.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have asked myself that question many times. I suspect it also have to do with liability concerns and potentially "tested" fuel economy.

I don't know how the EPA procedures work (or comparable tests in other countries), but if there is any heavy throttle application as prt of the test, the 400 mode could "show" better mileage-- even though in the real world I dont think the Power button makes any difference to fuel economy (as has been discussed here ad naseum).

·
Registered
994 Posts
Wake up guys, P400 is for when you hand your car over to valets:thumbsup:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am thankful my wife does not know about the button. I wish I could cut it down to 200HP for her

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well said..

The best thing about the M car is how you can adjust how it drives.

For somebody who has to drive through town power button is the best button in that car. You can drive comfortably..
For when it's rainy and snowy/icy the 400hp is also a benefit to keep traction.

The suspension button is a must... no explanation needed.

And keep in mind this is a car built to be your daily driver.. ding ding ding
It's interesting to see that all the negative comments for a switchable HP setting come from those in warmer climes (SoCal, Texas etc...)

Having recently been skiing in Italy (and going again soon it was so much fun cherrsagai), the benefits of lower horsepower and reduced throttle response where an absolute Godsend. Being able to ease out of a snow/ice patch was great. It would never have been possible to do that in P500Sport!! It was great fun watching a Lambo trying the the same thing even with snow chains(no traction and no way to ease the throttle).....needless to say the guy ended up catching a lift :haha:.

I for one applaud BMW for giving us a saloon that can be adjusted to the driving conditions at hand. Having driven it in varying extreme conditions (yes I've tracked it as well...) I have to say that this has been one of the most rewarding cars I've ever owned.

If the switchable settings annoy you....get something more mundane...like a Merc:biggrinbounce:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts