BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for mufflers that when coupled with an X-pipe will give me the loudest setup. I am talking strictly just mufflers and X-pipe combo.

What exhaust should I be looking for? I have the X-pipe currently on my car.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I had the Eisenmann Race w/X-Pipe and it was freaking loud:hihihi:....had a nice burble at idle and screamed when you accelerated....neighbors were happy to see no more M5:hihihi:
S

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have the Kelleners and it's loud in a nice way, but I still get looks from the neighbors. Throw on an x-pipe and I think it would be over the top.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I had a SS X-pipe w/Eisenmann Race ...and it significantly louder than with cans only. The X-pipe made a big difference.
S

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I would have to say Dinan Headers SS race cats SS X pipe and DInan Cans .... wait thats my setup :M5launch:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Kelleners or Dinan w/ X-pipe is by far the loudest i have ever heard, I believe Laidback had the kelleners+x-pipe+SS headers setup and won the local sound off competition(we had a decibel meter present), there were modded m6s and e60 m5s competing also.:goldcup:

Case in point:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WE9GuARx3Bc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WE9GuARx3Bc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
756 Posts
what did the dB meter read out of curiosity?
That is the funny part, all the other cars in the sound off registered something on the meter. As laidback's car was metered, it kept climbing and climbing till the display turned into 3 horizontal dashes, we took this to mean that laidbacks car was out of the range of the meter. So im not sure how exactly loud it is, but loud as hell is one way to put it...:M5thumbs:

Edit: ill try to find out what the upper limit of the specific meter was, i believe it belonged to one of the e60 members.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
That is the funny part, all the other cars in the sound off registered something on the meter. As laidback's car was metered, it kept climbing and climbing till the display turned into 3 horizontal dashes, we took this to mean that laidbacks car was out of the range of the meter. So im not sure how exactly loud it is, but loud as hell is one way to put it...:M5thumbs:
you're supposed to measure from 25 or 50ft back, directly behind.

·
Registered
756 Posts
you're supposed to measure from 25 or 50ft back, directly behind.
Here is the post, laidbacks results are at the bottom of this post. 25 or 50ft back im not sure about which standard that is. According to this poster the SAE distance is 20 inches.

Exhaust loudness thread

Laidback's results cp'ed:

keang24 said:
E39 M5 Kelleners Sport, Headers, quad-2nd cats (thanks to Laidback)
Idle: 104 dBA
At 5600 RPM: 120+ dBA (freaking loud, almost blow my ears away)
At 7000 RPM: 120+ dBA (stupid me, why even bother measure at 7k)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts