BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I hope mine will last that long to! (which means i will most likely not have to bare that cost) :D

I have 35.000 km / 20.000 miles on my 06 so far and no problems.
:grinyes: The thing is that he didn't know he has launch control and he never used it for 165 k kilometers,so my advice is not to use it if you want your clutch to last as long as possible. :cheers:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
574 Posts
Im well aware that i have launch control and exactly how it works (icl how you can adjust the launch RPM with the cruise control lever) but i have never used it and i don't think i will... It would need to be a very special occasion like a staged race with a Ferrari, Porsche Turbo or something for me o try it out :)

It is tempting though to try it :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
115k miles, changing clutch in a few weeks because I'm worried.
  • what smg settings you use Always 5, or 6 with DSC off.
  • main types of road eg highway or city center traffic etc Mixed.
  • do you use launch control ever. Yes.
  • Any quirky driving styles No.
  • do you bimble or thrash your M5/M6 Thrash including track days.
  • And do you put the car in neutral when stationary at junctions or in traffic or do you leave it in gear with your foot on the brake like I think most of us do?? Brake.

·
Registered
279 Posts
SMG
First clutch went at 91k miles, friction material disintegrated, had to be recovered to the garage.
Drive it pretty hard, always S5. Used to tow a few times.
Second clutch got replaced after another 40k, as the slave cylinder failed and clutch was swapped in case of contamination. The old clutch looks like it has loads of life left on it, I'd expect another 40k at least.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
21 - 27 of 27 Posts