BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am wondering how many miles some of you have got out of a clutch? Both SMG and stick shifters can answer but from a personal point of view I am interested mainly in SMG. I am really looking for people that managed to pass the 30-40,000 mile point that seems common to replace a clutch... so if you got 50-60,000 miles or even more please post with mileage and how you drive, eg;
  • what smg settings you use
  • main types of road eg highway or city center traffic etc
  • do you use launch control ever.
  • Any quirky driving styles
  • do you bimble or thrash your M5/M6
  • And do you put the car in neutral when stationary at junctions or in traffic or do you leave it in gear with your foot on the brake like I think most of us do??
The last point of leaving the car in gear is of interest as I wonder whether this heats up the clutch discs causing hot spots, warping and wear?

Anyway it would be interesting to see if there are any high mileage clutchs out there.

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
692 Posts
36,000 miles. No issues.

SMG settings: P500 S3 is my every day mode.
Launch control: Never used but it's a US model so what's the point.
Driving style: learn to drive the SMG. It's smooth as butter in every day driving.
Trash car: Yes it is an M, but trashing to me is P500S S5, not so much 1/4 mile I'm more of a canyon carver.
Neutral: I never put the car in neutral, just foot on brake when stopped.

I would think on the last point if you left the car in gear and used the gas to hold it in place you would see un-necessary clutch wear.

My car is a very early build 2007.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Wow Wolverine thats some mileage, 72,000 and counting... so it can be done! Whats the secret? come on how do you drive her? I see you did some track work? I wonder if the latest software helps?

I notice you use the same Winter Pirelli Sottozeros on OEM 19 inch wheels as I am now using, are you a happy cub on these? so far I am.

regards

Jay

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
61,000 kms here and counting :)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again wow, there are some bigger numbers here straight off and I wasn't expecting that! I suppose its that thing with the web and forums you normally only get to hear the bad things and I fell into that trap especially as my clutch went at 41,000 which fell in line with others posting on here.

Its good to put the record straight as to how reliable the M5 can be!! Much better than most Ferrari's and Lambo's on that count then!

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm the second owner of a 2006 M5.
It had 59K miles when I got it in August 2009. I have the full repair/warranty and maintenance records for the car (BMW CPO) and it still has the original clutch. It now has 61K miles and drives great. I can tell you how I drive but what's the point, I only represent 3.27% of the mileage on the clutch.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a 2006 m5 with 41,000 miles and still the original clutch. As for driving style I am pretty easy on the car no racing but a bit of spirited driving from time to time. Usually have the car on p400 s5. Warranty is up in Feb. 2010 I'm afraid it will go as soon as it is out of warranty. So i'm trying to find the best extended warranty out there.
Hbomb

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can get an extended warranty from BMW now. I guess that would be the best warranty out there now.

I have a 2006 m5 with 41,000 miles and still the original clutch. As for driving style I am pretty easy on the car no racing but a bit of spirited driving from time to time. Usually have the car on p400 s5. Warranty is up in Feb. 2010 I'm afraid it will go as soon as it is out of warranty. So i'm trying to find the best extended warranty out there.
Hbomb

·
Registered
190 Posts
77K miles

• smg:Mostly P500 S-5 DSC ON
  • About 50% twisty two lanes roads and 50% highway
  • Not too often - Just flooring it seems to work about as well
  • No super quirky stuff but I do love a good four wheel drift which is harder on the tires than the clutch
  • I just let it sit in idle with my foot on the brake
Still going strong. I had to have the clutch position sensor changed a while back. While they were at it they said the clutch still had about 40% left. So ... I could be going a while.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Mine was just replaced at 42k miles under warranty (red cog).

I drive 50% of the time in P500 5 and the other 50% in P400 5, no abuse, very little highway driving, mostly roads with lights.

Second owner, first owner was a dentisit and the car did not seemabused at all.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Thanks guys.

Wow Wolverine thats some mileage, 72,000 and counting... so it can be done! Whats the secret? come on how do you drive her? I see you did some track work? I wonder if the latest software helps?

I notice you use the same Winter Pirelli Sottozeros on OEM 19 inch wheels as I am now using, are you a happy cub on these? so far I am.

regards

Jay
Quite a bit of tracking actually - a couple dozen sessions at Putnam and Mid-Ohio, and a dozen trips down the 1/4 mile. While she was my only car, I drove the heck out of her on the roads, but did avoid 'stoplight drags' and using launch control. Since I got my track car (2006 Cayman S with mods) early this year, I'm taking it really easy on the old beast. What a great car.

IMO the Pirellis are the way to go with snow tires. I've tried the Blizzaks and you might as well buy a used Volvo to drive in the winter - the car will feel the same as the M5 with Blizzaks. With the Pirellis you're sacrificing some of the snow traction (nothing that 400 lbs in the trunk won't fix), but the dry handling is almost as good as the OEM Contis.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
400lbs in the trunk hey... 2 average size bodys should do the trick lol!

Thanks for the update Mike. There has to be something in it for you to be able to do so much hard work with your clutch and get away with it where others do 'normal' comute type driving and get so little miles from their clutchs... may be its the amount of times you pull away rather than how many gear changes flat out??

Cheers

Jay

·
Registered
932 Posts
IMO the Pirellis are the way to go with snow tires. I've tried the Blizzaks and you might as well buy a used Volvo to drive in the winter - the car will feel the same as the M5 with Blizzaks. With the Pirellis you're sacrificing some of the snow traction (nothing that 400 lbs in the trunk won't fix), but the dry handling is almost as good as the OEM Contis.
I'm 100% taking your advice. I want a low temp tire that can handle light snow but still have fun when its perfectly dry out.

Shame a set costs 1400 dollars :(

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Stormster, these mileages are an eye openner as the only info floating arround the web up tell now was cases of clutches getting replaced at the 40,000 mile mark almost to the mile as in my case. This is good news for the E60 M5 and us owners!

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
493 Posts
i can tell you the lowest, and thats 200 miles on my clutch!

and BMW of Manhattan are a bunch of scum

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know a guy here in Bulgaria who changed his first clutch on 165 000 km which is more than 100 000 miles. He got the red cog and had to change it :cheers:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
574 Posts
I hope mine will last that long to! (which means i will most likely not have to bare that cost) :D

I have 35.000 km / 20.000 miles on my 06 so far and no problems.

I know a guy here in Bulgaria who changed his first clutch on 165 000 km which is more than 100 000 miles. He got the red cog and had to change it :cheers:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

1 - 20 of 27 Posts