BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine came from Germany so I had their option list even though it's a UK-spec car. I don't speak German, so ticked everything, that's why the car came debadged :D I actually like it that way though.

One of the options was active steering.

How do I turn it off? ??????

It's really good at low speeds and perfect when parking, but on the motorway the wheel is really firm and you have to move it too much!

There must be a button! Actually I should really try the M button and see if that helps.

Anyone with an E60 with active steering?

Also any ideas on where the DVD-Video player is?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read somewhere that the German options list does in fact contain Active Steering. Also, it definitely feels like it's there. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ok - tried the german car configurator and found it, not active steering what's "servotronic" and how do I switch it off?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ivan said:
Mine came from Germany so I had their option list even though it's a UK-spec car. I don't speak German, so ticked everything, that's why the car came debadged :D I actually like it that way though.
Haha, that's the most amusingly lazy thing I've ever heard!

Russ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ivan said:
I read somewhere that the German options list does in fact contain Active Steering. Also, it definitely feels like it's there. Perhaps I'm wrong though.
You can easily check if your car has active steering : while being stationary, turn the wheel from lock to lock. If you count less than two revolutions, then your car has active steering (which I doubt). If there are almost three, then you have normal steering.

It´s been said many times that in order to guarantee top level of sportiness, the M5 does without active steering, active antiroll bars and run flat tires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair enough, but how come the steering is so amazingly light at slow speeds (proper mercedes style one-finger parking) and yet so heavy when on the motorway that I don't feel comfortable holding the steering wheel with only one hand.

In the RS6 I would happily do 140mph on a German autobahn with one hand if I needed to reach for something. In the M5 I expect I would want to slow down (can't go above 107mph atm grr)

·
Registered
77 Posts
That could be the variable power assistance, which just varies the lightness/heaviness, as opposed to Active Steering which varies the RATIO (i.e. the quickness/sharpness).

Common on most cars (even really old Honda Preludes) but you don't normally notice it that much.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Ivan said:
Fair enough, but how come the steering is so amazingly light at slow speeds (proper mercedes style one-finger parking) and yet so heavy when on the motorway that I don't feel comfortable holding the steering wheel with only one hand.
Because that's how BMW wants you to drive, and they can be quite insistent.

Tom

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gustav said:
Do you have more pics of your M5?
It's in a carpark, and my phone was taking better photos than the camera, so they don't look as good as they should. I'm going to take proper ones later after I've done the full 5hr zymol treatment!

I can't work out which one is more beastly :biggrin:

The M5 looks a lot more modern, but the RS6 still makes my heart beat when I walk up to it lovelove

Unfortunately it's time for the RS6 to go - it's on Ebay for 35k if anyone from the UK's interested.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Wow. Very nice. Also both cars as well

A very nice switch. I spot an Aston Martin DB7 as well.
Not this thread will make it to the front page :cheers:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pentoman - gotcha so stiffness is increased but ratio isn't. Fair enough I'm sure I'll get used to that!

Tom - the more I drive this m5, only my second bmw after a 4.4is, the more I'm finding that bmw really do want to control all aspects and in fact the perfect driving machine is all a bit of a gimmick. My main problem is with the smg not shifting quickly enough though!

Anyone here read this month's Top Gear magazine? Jeremy Clarkson writes about the M5, and how it's ridiculous how many options there are. He goes on about how you can choose how long the lights stay on for after you lock the car, and the choice is infinite from quote "1 second to 1 light year" -what a muppet. Anyway my point is, if they could be bothered to do that, surely they could have put in an option to turn off the stiffening of the steering wheel at high speed.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The car looks great Ivan. Hope you can come along for one of our London meets (I'll definitely plan something for September).

:byebye:

·
Registered
77 Posts
As a vaguely more conventional solution to heavy steering, you could try inflating the tyres a little more (say, to the level the handbook/sticker suggests for being fully laden; I would guess it's about 33 psi front and 35 psi rear?). Maybe you should check the tyres aren't underinflated anyway if the steering really is that heavy?

Or get the dealer to do that for you.. but being in London they'll probably charge you £5,000,000 to do it and lose all the valve caps in the process!

Nice car, I hope you work out your differences and become 'at one' with each other :)

Russell.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Rocket M5 said:
nice car! i dont think you can turn off active steering in any BMW cars.
The M5 does NOT have active steering.

The madeira wood looks terrific in those photos, and significantly darker and more red than another photo recently posted.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Like others have pointed out, what you're experiencing is the Servotronic. It is also in the E39 M5 and the 4.8Is and I dislike it very much.

We had a discussion about this previously: click!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers for the link - glad to see I'm not alone! It's funny how we both hate servotronic, but for different reasons. You hate the way it gets lighter at slow speeds, and I hate the way it gets heavier at high speeds!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts